How long does RIM make updates available for phones? I've had an 8330 for at least a few years. Will I soon be looking at purchasing a new phone if I want to continue updating?
    08-29-10 06:47 PM
    If you want the new OS 6, yes, you will need to purchase a phone with better hardware.
    08-29-10 06:54 PM
    How long does RIM make updates available for phones? I've had an 8330 for at least a few years. Will I soon be looking at purchasing a new phone if I want to continue updating?
    Of course.... Your device is SO old lol. Trust me you might want to upgrade your phone to a newer one ;-)
    08-29-10 06:55 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your question. There hasn't been a new OS out for the 8330 for quite a while anyway has there?

Your device will continue to work fine as long as it continues to do what you need it to do with the software available. Now, if you want OS6, then you'll definitely have to switch to one of the newer devices (9650, etc).

I'm not sure how it'll work once LTE/other 4g technology is completely in place vs existing CDMA technology, at some point if they shut off the CDMA network down in favor of LTE you'll have to upgrade to an LTE device...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 06:59 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your question. There hasn't been a new OS out for the 8330 for quite a while anyway has there?

Your device will continue to work fine as long as it continues to do what you need it to do with the software available. Now, if you want OS6, then you'll definitely have to switch to one of the newer devices (9650, etc).

I'm not sure how it'll work once LTE/other 4g technology is completely in place vs existing CDMA technology, at some point if they shut off the CDMA network down in favor of LTE you'll have to upgrade to an LTE device...

The VZW roadmap is 2013 for full 4G deployment. Which means several years after that point to force upgrades. There won't be LTE handsets till next year.

08-29-10 11:28 PM
    I'm sure the 4.5.0.169 (or whatever is the newest 4.5 OS version) will available on their site for a few more years to come. I think they still have OS installs available for 8700 models. There was even one carrier who came out with 5.0 for the 8330 (not the 8330m), so you could update to that version as well.

Seeing that the 8330 has 96MB of RAM, and BB6 takes up 170MB+, I doubt you will see anything higher than 5.0 for the 8330.
    08-30-10 10:28 AM
    What I found out is the 8330 is a supported device of OS 5. However, your carrier also has to make this update available which mine doesn't. So I'm stuck at 4.5 it seems.

Which sucks because my Facebook application is more or less useless and I've tried everything else except updating to fix it.
    08-30-10 03:56 PM
    Why not just load the 5.0 release from Boost Mobile if you want 5.0?
    08-30-10 06:39 PM
    The 5.0 OS for the 8330 was pretty good. If you're set on holding onto your 8330, then I would recommend it. There are a ton of walkthroughs, videos and support if you decide to try it.
    08-30-10 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD