Well, as usual, I've gotten bored with a phone after a year. In this case, its my Bold 9000. Now I've found a way to keep myself interested, which is by putting on a new theme. I'm never bored with the device itself, just the OS and themes really keep me interested and saves me some $$$. I'm having a problem though with my Bold, and that is how every nice theme leaks memory like mad. I just bought a nice OS 6 theme and it will leak 10mb in about two hours, same with a Mac theme I bought.

Now I believe I need a device with 256mb memory, but I don't like the trackpad. So that gets me thinking about a Curve 8900. Its got bigger memory and a better camera (a huge plus for me). The only downside is no 3G...

So that has me thinking: how important is 3G? I use the internet a lot on my phone and rarely on WiFi. Is the speed difference huge? Is it worth trading down devices (with some cash on their side) for never having to worry about memory leaks?
    05-16-10 04:59 PM
    For me personally I think people make a bigger deal about 3G as it's a must and they can't live without it. I come to realize the only time in my experience 3G is a plus to have. Is when I'm tethering, the speeds are that much faster, and the benefit of being able to talk and surf at the same time. Anything else is all the same.
    05-16-10 05:14 PM
    When you say you are on the internet, what exactly are you doing? The biggest advantage to 3G is tethering, video streaming, and huge downloads. Other than that, not that much gain. But if you are doing any of the three items I mentioned, it is certainly an advantage.
    05-16-10 05:21 PM
    I really need my 3G, otherwise all I do slows down to the pace of a tortoise.
    05-16-10 05:24 PM
    When you say you are on the internet, what exactly are you doing? The biggest advantage to 3G is tethering, video streaming, and huge downloads. Other than that, not that much gain. But if you are doing any of the three items I mentioned, it is certainly an advantage.
    99% of the time is browsing various forums.

Does that mean that youtube will run slowly on EDGE?
    05-16-10 05:41 PM
    I really need my 3G, otherwise all I do slows down to the pace of a tortoise.
    Completely agree. Everything from web page load speeds, tethering speed,
    downloading apps, etc...are so much faster on a 3G device.

Being able to be on a long phone call and still respond to other types of
    messages is an enormous plus for me.
    05-16-10 06:13 PM
    I decided to try tethering with Tetherberry (now known as Tether) and I never realized it could be so fast. I figured I'd get the same loading times as on my Bberry but it was almost as fast as my WiFi connection at home.

This has really put me in a dilemma... I don't really use my MacBook away from WiFi spots but I might be using it quite a bit next year with a long commute to school.

URGH! I don't know!
    05-16-10 06:29 PM
    Off topic, glad you're back, Qbnkelt, thought you'd deserted us folks @ Crackberry, lol!
    On topic: I had the 8900 before my present device and found the lack of 3G was huge. I have Real_Hero theme on my 9700 and it's fantastic and there's no memory leak.
    05-16-10 06:32 PM
    Personally me I don't use it as EDGE works fine for me when I am not on Wi-fi...as 3G is weak in our area and actually seems to slow down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 07:09 PM
    Forum browsing is fine on EDGE. The biggest downside for me is the lack of video streaming. Well, it is possible, but it will stop to buffer every 10 to 30 seconds.

05-16-10 08:02 PM
    I could live without 3G for Twitter, but I would hate using Edge for web browsing.
    05-16-10 08:08 PM
    I'm having a problem though with my Bold, and that is how every nice theme leaks memory like mad. I just bought a nice OS 6 theme and it will leak 10mb in about two hours, same with a Mac theme I bought.

Now I believe I need a device with 256mb memory, but I don't like the trackpad. So that gets me thinking about a Curve 8900. Its got bigger memory and a better camera (a huge plus for me). The only downside is no 3G...
    ISTM you are overlooking the obvious. The problem is not "3G or not-3G" but the memory leaks from buggy themes and software. It doesn't matter if your device has 64 Megabytes or 64 Gigabytes, a leak is still a leak and will eventually crash the device. Think of it like a leaking fuel tank on your car - if the leak is not fixed the fuel will continue to drain away. Fitting a larger tank simply delays the inevitable.

My personal experience with a Bold 9000 as a working business phone suggests the later OS v4.6 releases are solid, but every OS v5 I haver tried on it has leaked like a sieve. With OSv5 I have to reboot (battery pull) at least every 2-3 days but with v4.6 I can usually go about 2-3 weeks and most of the battery pulls are because I'm messing with software. Themes... like you I have found most of the third party themes either leak memory or don't increase useful functionality. I stick with the stock themes because I value function over "pretty but leaky". OS v4.6 and Precision Zen doesn't have the glamour of v5 but it is rock solid and never lets me down, it just keeps on working and never misses a beat.

Having said that, the only phone I would consider to replace my 9000 would be a 9700. However, the new OS doesn't inspire great confidence and I am considering whether to order up more 9000s as replacements for our company - while they are still available.
    05-16-10 08:14 PM
    In a sense, more memory does seem to help with leaks. My 9530, no matter how much I shrunk the OS and kept apps to a minimum, eventually started leaking memory little by little by the end of 12 hours or so. My 9550, on the other hand, despite running on a "lower OS", hasn't dropped memory since my last restart over two days ago.
    Now, obviously this doesn't prove that more memory stops leaks. It Makes it far less of an issue though, as in it doesn't really matter if your memory drops 10MB if you have over a hundred MBs of free space remaining.

05-16-10 08:24 PM
    The biggest plus for 3G at least for me was when I lived in Mexico, Telcel uses 850MHz for 3G and 1900MHz for EDGE, hence the coverage inside and in some areas was far better under 3G than EDGE, and a lot of places where I did not have EDGE (my house for example) I had pretty decent 3G coverage. That's one reason I fell in love with 3G...
    05-17-10 01:59 AM
    Completely agree. Everything from web page load speeds, tethering speed,
    downloading apps, etc...are so much faster on a 3G device.

Being able to be on a long phone call and still respond to other types of
    messages is an enormous plus for me.
    +1. I have excellent 3G coverage where I live. I love being able to use voice/data simultaneously.
    05-17-10 02:05 AM
    ISTM you are overlooking the obvious. The problem is not "3G or not-3G" but the memory leaks from buggy themes and software. It doesn't matter if your device has 64 Megabytes or 64 Gigabytes, a leak is still a leak and will eventually crash the device. Think of it like a leaking fuel tank on your car - if the leak is not fixed the fuel will continue to drain away. Fitting a larger tank simply delays the inevitable.

My personal experience with a Bold 9000 as a working business phone suggests the later OS v4.6 releases are solid, but every OS v5 I haver tried on it has leaked like a sieve. With OSv5 I have to reboot (battery pull) at least every 2-3 days but with v4.6 I can usually go about 2-3 weeks and most of the battery pulls are because I'm messing with software. Themes... like you I have found most of the third party themes either leak memory or don't increase useful functionality. I stick with the stock themes because I value function over "pretty but leaky". OS v4.6 and Precision Zen doesn't have the glamour of v5 but it is rock solid and never lets me down, it just keeps on working and never misses a beat.
    +1

Branta, I'm just curious, did the official release of OS 5.0 for your 9000 cause a big memory leak as well? I'm curious because I've got a buddy with a 9000 and I was considering loading 5.0 on it for him.

Back to the topic, when I had my 8330, US Cellular hadn't expanded their 3G coverage to the STL, so I was running 1X (EDGE) speeds on that handset. It wasn't really bad, but over time I started to get frustrated with the slower speed, which is one of the reasons we switched to Verizon, and after having 3G, I don't think I would be happy with an EDGE (1X) device. Everything seems to move alot faster with a 3G device, from downloading an attachment, to sending an MMS message, loading Facebook thru the app, everything is alot snappier. While the 8900 is a nice device indeed, I don't think you'd be happy downgrading your data speed, at least I know that I wouldn't.
    05-17-10 09:48 AM
    One BIG advantage of running 2G as opposed to 3G is battery consumption. I've found that setting the phone to 2G only can at least double the life of the battery between charges. When I had my phone set to 2G + 3G, by the end of the day I could be down to anywhere from in the red to maybe 20% charge left. Now with it set at 2G only I've rarely gone below 50 - 60% by the end of the day.

I've also never noticed any drop in browsing speeds on 2G (just as slow either way). Speed only becomes apparent with streaming video, where 3G is almost a necessity. But since I don't really stream video much nor do other things while talking on the phone, I find 3G to be a negative. Funny because before I got my Bold I originally bought the 8900 and quickly returned it because it didn't have 3G (neither I nor the salesman were aware of this at the time).
    05-17-10 10:43 AM
    I love my Wifi more than I love the 3G. It runs so much faster on the web with Wifi
    05-17-10 05:40 PM
    I agree, 3G hasn't made any leaps. Wi-fi is still faster and even that isn't exceptionally fast. Certainly isn't a determining factor for me, anyway.

05-18-10 10:30 PM

Having said that, the only phone I would consider to replace my 9000 would be a 9700. However, the new OS doesn't inspire great confidence and I am considering whether to order up more 9000s as replacements for our company - while they are still available.
    Excellent points. I agree, 4.6 was better than 5.0 for memory management, on the Bold. Probably the best OS I've ran on my Bold, since OS 5, has been my memory holding somewhat steadily after it has dropped about 10MB. If it can stay around that -10MB area consistently, i feel i have a decent OS. Now my 9550 can go a full day and not drop a full 1MB! Crazy difference.

I'm not so convinced the 8900 will act any different than your Bold. It seems the devices that launched with OS 5 have better memory management while running OS 5.
    05-18-10 10:42 PM
    I'm not so convinced the 8900 will act any different than your Bold. It seems the devices that launched with OS 5 have better memory management while running OS 5.
    I don't think I've ever had any sort of memory problem with my 8900. I hover around 100 MB with .681.

EDGE doesn't matter all that much if all you do is message. But you're screwed if you have to download a large attachment, or listen to Pandora, or browse. The main argument for the 8900 folks back in the day was "well, I have Wi-Fi" but for me, when I have Wi-Fi, my computer is sitting in front of me. So Wi-Fi doesn't matter that much.
    05-18-10 11:07 PM
    The Speed is great BUT the GEM is looking up stuff on web while on call.

THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!
    05-19-10 12:14 AM
    Branta, I'm just curious, did the official release of OS 5.0 for your 9000 cause a big memory leak as well? I'm curious because I've got a buddy with a 9000 and I was considering loading 5.0 on it for him.
    Let's say v5 in a vanilla install (no third party apps) didn't behave as well as 4.6.0.303 for me, but some users report good behavior from v5 builds on 9000. There is no rational explanation for observed variation of memory leaks between different devices. I also found severe problems with BBM and SMS handling which made it almost useless.

My advice is if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you want to try v5 then make sure you have a full backup from v4.6 before you start, to allow easy rollback if there's a problem. You will also find many third party apps need to upgrade and re-register with the new version so make sure all the purchase info is available and critical apps have a v5 compatible version.
    05-19-10 06:11 AM
    One BIG advantage of running 2G as opposed to 3G is battery consumption. I've found that setting the phone to 2G only can at least double the life of the battery between charges. When I had my phone set to 2G + 3G, by the end of the day I could be down to anywhere from in the red to maybe 20% charge left. Now with it set at 2G only I've rarely gone below 50 - 60% by the end of the day.
    Don't get too hung up on any theoretical differences in battery life between 2G or 3G. My experience shows that signal strength and the linked transmit power adjustments on the two services makes a much greater impact for battery load. At home I get better battery life from 3G because I have a 3G-only antenna less than 100 yds distant with a clear line of sight, but the 2G tower is about 2 miles away through/over houses with a weaker signal to the tower so the phone runs at higher transmit power on 2G. (Transmit power for GSM phones is controlled by commands sent from the tower to get the received signal within standard limits).
    05-19-10 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD