Before you jump at me hear me out. Instead of the 3 volume and pause buttons I wish the Z10 had just one track wheel. Not a track wheel as on the older BlackBerry's with infinite scrolling but one with limited scrolling to give you volume up/down and skip on a long press and pause on a click.

Is it just me that think this would make sense?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:33 AM
    Interesting. But the problem is that people like me... I put the ZED10 into my pocket. That track wheel will be always turning so volume will be all over the place. Maybe a touch pad instead

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:39 AM
    Or a touch sensor which by sliding your fingers up and down control the volume. But also giving you the option to click adding a quick button shortcut.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:41 AM
    Interesting. But the problem is that people like me... I put the ZED10 into my pocket. That track wheel will be always turning so volume will be all over the place. Maybe a touch pad instead

Posted via CB10
    That was never a problem with old track wheel bbs

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:44 AM
    Or a touch sensor which by sliding your fingers up and down control the volume. But also giving you the option to click adding a quick button shortcut.

Posted via CB10
    I'd prefer physical feedback of a wheel.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you lock it, then that wouldn't be a problem...but as someone else said, that wasn't a problem for older devices.
    03-02-13 09:07 AM
    Interesting idea OP. Honestly though...I don't know if I would prefer a wheel over the buttons.
    03-02-13 09:08 AM
    That's actually kind of a cool idea. Gives a bit of a retro look and feel.

Not sure how well it will go with the current design language though, since a wheel at it'a highest point will probably stick out more than buttons. A one click wheel may also be slightly more prone to failure than buttons, since it'll need a spring or something in it to return it to its original position after each scroll.
    03-02-13 10:16 AM
    Pretty cool idea, but no thanks.
    habs_fan likes this.
    03-02-13 10:25 AM

Not sure how well it will go with the current design language though, since a wheel at it'a highest point will probably stick out more than buttons. A one click wheel may also be slightly more prone to failure than buttons, since it'll need a spring or something in it to return it to its original position after each scroll.
    I've had quite a few phones with track wheels in the past starting with the Sony Z1 in around 1998 or so and I never ever had a problem with them. The design was bullet proof.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 10:30 AM

It would give it a retro look...which wouldn't go over too well with consumers. But you addressed my concern...the design language. It just wouldn't go. Feng Shui for phones
    03-02-13 03:06 PM
    The trackwheels did click on the icons when pressed in, so the user could select with it.
    03-02-13 10:58 PM
    The trackwheels did click on the icons when pressed in, so the user could select with it.
    That function would still belong to voice control
    03-02-13 11:29 PM
    That function would still belong to voice control
    On a long press though.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 12:30 AM
    Not sure, would have to see it in action and try for myself. I've also read requests from older BB users that want a Q10 like version of the BB with the trackpad restored...
    03-03-13 11:09 AM
    Not sure, would have to see it in action and try for myself. I've also read requests from older BB users that want a Q10 like version of the BB with the trackpad restored...
    The trackpad would completely contradict the gesture-based BB10 OS and would basically disregard all of the work the BlackBerry has put into it. People need to realize that.
    habs_fan and wolf_359 like this.
    03-03-13 11:14 AM
    The last thing Blackberry needs to do is go "retro". If they do they should go right to chapter 11, or whatever the equivelent in Canada. It's about moving forward for the first time in a long while.
    ajst222, habs_fan and wolf_359 like this.
    03-03-13 11:18 AM
    Major step backwards. To each their own.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 12:04 PM
    That was never a problem with old track wheel bbs
    Indeed, the problem with those is that the wheels got bashed in and broke, which was what led BB to switch to the trackball and then the trackpad in the first place, trying to minimise mechanical failures on a device.
    03-03-13 12:07 PM