It seems today mobile security is a much debated topic, especially on CrackBerry. However in my opinion I dont think security on BB could be considered a selling point to the average consumer. The level of security provided by a BB is second to none, and if you are a high ranking Government official or other VIP you would need it. The fact it is used by the Department of Defense and also Obama are real life examples of how secure it is. However the fact they are so important people, means they are targeted to attacks. Meaning they need a high level of security.

To the average consumer, I don't think BB security should be a selling point, mainly for two reasons.

The first reason is that consumer BB10 phones will not be on BES10. After getting rid of BIS, BB10 are very similar (only slightly more secure) than ios and Android. So to think just because you have a BB device, you will have as much protection as President Obama does, is wrong.
    The second reason is the average consumer is not in a position to be targeted and attacked like these VIP's. In instances like this, where you will only be subjected to broad viruses, ios and Android does a good job at keeping away security threats. And in my honest opinion I dont think average consumers are stupid. I am pretty sure if Android does get attacked with malaware on the daily as many on CrackBerry like to claim, it wouldnt have over 70% global market share.

So in my opinion BB10's real selling points are its keyboard, hub, email capabilities etc. To sell the idea of security to consumers in my opinion is a very weak selling point and in many ways not true.
    12-11-13 04:46 AM
    Joe Public doesn't care about security on his phone, so I think you are right. It's only a select few here who really value it.
    JeepBB, m1a1mg, KemKev and 1 others like this.
    12-11-13 05:00 AM
    Joe Public doesn't care about security on his phone, so I think you are right. It's only a select few here who really value it.
    Well the thing is is BB10 really anymore secure if you are not on BES? And downloading leaks and installing APK's from places like 1mobile opens a whole new can of worms. So I guess this is a question to those who say security is important.
    What about your consumer BB10 makes it more secure than ios and Android?
    12-11-13 05:13 AM
    Well the thing is is BB10 really anymore secure if you are not on BES? And downloading leaks and installing APK's from places like 1mobile opens a whole new can of worms. So I guess this is a question to those who say security is important.
    I personally don't see it as any more secure. I'm not on BES so I'm taking my chances someone could hack my grocery list at any time!
    Pirate, JeepBB, m1a1mg and 1 others like this.
    12-11-13 05:19 AM
    Have to agree with you here OP. Everyone I've talked to about this thinks their phone is secure enough. They don't do any financial transactions on them so its meh

Sent from my GT-I9100 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-11-13 07:30 AM
    Agreed with OP and Kevin
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    12-11-13 07:42 AM
    Agree also.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 07:46 AM
    The only thing I can think of is viri and malware can not infect the OS or take over as root.
    12-11-13 07:54 AM
    I agree and think that other platforms are only as secure as their user. Using Android, for example, is a lot like using a Windows computer. Both have the potential for sketchy stuff, but as long as the user exercises common sense when using the device everything is fine. I only download apps with the Editor's Choice or Top Developer distinction or apps that are official from a known company (like restaurants that have their own app). I don't download apps from 3rd party markets. I always make sure I'm on secured sites when necessary. I have AVG Anti-virus just like on my computer which scans new apps as they're downloaded and alerts me to any potential malware. It also performs scans of my device at set times. Honestly I feel more paranoid giving my credit card to wait staff at restaurants than I do using Android devices.
    12-11-13 07:56 AM
    I agree and think that other platforms are only as secure as their user. Using Android, for example, is a lot like using a Windows computer. Both have the potential for sketchy stuff, but as long as the user exercises common sense when using the device everything is fine. I only download apps with the Editor's Choice or Top Developer distinction or apps that are official from a known company (like restaurants that have their own app). I don't download apps from 3rd party markets. I always make sure I'm on secured sites when necessary. I have AVG Anti-virus just like on my computer which scans new apps as they're downloaded and alerts me to any potential malware. It also performs scans of my device at set times. Honestly I feel more paranoid giving my credit card to wait staff at restaurants than I do using Android devices.
    Looks like it goes against the OP which states smartphone users don't care about security.

The inability to control permissions individually on android device (at least the ones that I own) pushed me to use BB for personal and financial things while droids are used for games and spam.
    12-11-13 08:59 AM
    Security is very important to me and I am very careful as to how I use my device. You won't catch me using any APK grabbers or sites like 1mobile. I find it hilarious for those who tout BlackBerry security while in the next breath discuss how wonderful it is to run Android apps from third party sites or who use APK grabbers. It's quite the interesting show.

Frankly, except for BES, today's BB10 device is only marginally more secure due to the architecture of QNX than an Android device or an iPhone. But....it all flies out the window if you purposefully compromise your device with risky practices.
    12-11-13 09:05 AM
    Perhaps Joe Public don't care about it - Until when the day come and his data has leaked.. Then Joe Public is the first to cry, and making sure to blog about it all over the universe.

I don't think it comes down to if Joe Public care or not, but rather if he Understands what the security is all about. Since all cannot have deep details understanding and knowledge about all the security aspects, it is good to know that BlackBerry takes it serious and on your behalf do what they can to protect your data- AND your contacts data...AND your business data...
    12-11-13 09:41 AM
    Perhaps Joe Public don't care about it - Until when the day come and his data has leaked.. Then Joe Public is the first to cry, and making sure to blog about it all over the universe.

I don't think it comes down to if Joe Public care or not, but rather if he Understands what the security is all about. Since all cannot have deep details understanding and knowledge about all the security aspects, it is good to know that BlackBerry takes it serious and on your behalf do what they can to protect your data- AND your contacts data...AND your business data...
    And yet Joe Public is being told that although he cares about the security of his phone, that he should make use of APK grabbers and go to sites like 1mobile to grab Android apps. That this solution will solve his app gap. And when Joe/Jane Public states that he/she does not wish to compromise his/her device then names such as whiner and complainer are used and he/she is asked why he/she is posting on CB.

How does that work out?
    12-11-13 09:52 AM
    Yep, the "coming soon" OS and SideloadV2 will put to rest the security myth.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-11-13 09:53 AM
    And yet Joe Public is being told that although he cares about the security of his phone, that he should make use of APK grabbers and go to sites like 1mobile to grab Android apps. That this solution will solve his app gap. And when Joe/Jane Public states that he/she does not wish to compromise his/her device then names such as whiner are used and he/she is asked why he/she is posting on CB.

How does that work out?
    It's a symptom of fanboyism. I see the same thing over at the Apple forums. Any advantage is touted a world-shaking game-changer, and any disadvantage is downplayed as insignificant. Until, that is, there's a work-around for the disadvantage. Then it, too, is touted as a world-shaking game-changer. And it really doesn't matter if the work-around for the disadvantage undermines the advantage. It's an extremely compartmentalized way of thinking.

For the fanboy, Apple/Android/BlackBerry/WP8 is always the best, no matter what. So here at CrackBerry, when the subject is security, then BlackBerry is the best because of its super-duper, NSA-proof encryption. But when the subject is app availability, well, again, BlackBerry is the best because it not only has native apps, but you can also get questionable Android apps from dodgy foreign app stores!
    kbz1960, JeepBB, Smitty13 and 2 others like this.
    12-11-13 10:05 AM
    And yet Joe Public is being told that although he cares about the security of his phone, that he should make use of APK grabbers and go to sites like 1mobile to grab Android apps. That this solution will solve his app gap. And when Joe/Jane Public states that he/she does not wish to compromise his/her device then names such as whiner and complainer are used and he/she is asked why he/she is posting on CB.

How does that work out?
    BlackBerry don't actively tell users to sideload APK files, - instead - when you install apk directly - you get a Warning - to be careful... The Android support is very good for the developers who now very easy can take their apps across to BB10 - and to close whatever gap some users claims there is ( I personally don't miss any apps - and I don't play games on my phone )...

so if anyone here is to blame for users getting android malware onto their devices - it is sites like Crackberry and alike where grabbing APK's and sideloading is more or less "pushed".. but even here the more serious bloggers give warnings ...
    Even though Android is sandboxed on BB10 - some Android apps are given access to your "shared" data - and to contacts... - and there are some bad android apps out there that is capable of spreading your data around the world - messing up your shared files etc..

Having a car than "can" do 100+ Mph - does not mean it is safe to do so - but following the manufactures recommendations and limits, it is fairly safe... Still you are able to directly use different rims and tires, some will fit, it will run - and you "can" tune it up to do more speed - but doing so - removes the safety limits from mfgr and you are on your own...
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    12-11-13 10:29 AM
    The moment you start doing payments with your phone, security should concern you a lot more I guess
    12-11-13 10:31 AM
    BlackBerry don't actively tell users to sideload APK files, - instead - when you install apk directly - you get a Warning - to be careful... The Android support is very good for the developers who now very easy can take their apps across to BB10 - and to close whatever gap some users claims there is ( I personally don't miss any apps - and I don't play games on my phone )...

so if anyone here is to blame for users getting android malware onto their devices - it is sites like Crackberry and alike where grabbing APK's and sideloading is more or less "pushed".. but even here the more serious bloggers give warnings ...
    Even though Android is sandboxed on BB10 - some Android apps are given access to your "shared" data - and to contacts... - and there are some bad android apps out there that is capable of spreading your data around the world - messing up your shared files etc..

Having a car than "can" do 100+ Mph - does not mean it is safe to do so - but following the manufactures recommendations and limits, it is fairly safe... Still you are able to directly use different rims and tires, some will fit, it will run - and you "can" tune it up to do more speed - but doing so - removes the safety limits from mfgr and you are on your own...
    Not only shared data....adware. Spam. Snort events can tell you a thing or two about what grabbing APKs and going to 1mobile and similar sites does.
    12-11-13 10:38 AM
    It's a symptom of fanboyism. I see the same thing over at the Apple forums. Any advantage is touted a world-shaking game-changer, and any disadvantage is downplayed as insignificant. Until, that is, there's a work-around for the disadvantage. Then it, too, is touted as a world-shaking game-changer. And it really doesn't matter if the work-around for the disadvantage undermines the advantage. It's an extremely compartmentalized way of thinking.

For the fanboy, Apple/Android/BlackBerry/WP8 is always the best, no matter what. So here at CrackBerry, when the subject is security, then BlackBerry is the best because of its super-duper, NSA-proof encryption. But when the subject is app availability, well, again, BlackBerry is the best because it not only has native apps, but you can also get questionable Android apps from dodgy foreign app stores!
    doesn't matter love.....the app gap is closed.....grab any APK you want from any site you want and load it to your device....after all, it's a BlackBerry, it's safe....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! DOES ANYONE NOT THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE DOING TO COMPROMISE THEIR DEVICE???????

Oh yah but I'm a complainer and a whiner and a troll and I hate BlackBerry and what am I doing here......sure.....
    kbz1960, jason9900, m1a1mg and 2 others like this.
    12-11-13 10:40 AM
    Lol they don't tell you to side load just add it to next os update to make it even easier todo, shoot in foot.
    12-11-13 10:48 AM
    Security is very important to me and I am very careful as to how I use my device. You won't catch me using any APK grabbers or sites like 1mobile. I find it hilarious for those who tout BlackBerry security while in the next breath discuss how wonderful it is to run Android apps from third party sites or who use APK grabbers. It's quite the interesting show.
    There are those of us on the other side of that fence watching the same show. They are here trying to convince us how there is absolutely nothing better about a consumer's BlackBerry security capabilities but you know at least one of them has rooted their Android, which makes it abundantly clear that they've never compiled their own kernel and accompanying modules and etc before else they wouldn't do it because they would know better since app permissions are now the very least of their security screwups.

As far as BB, that was the one "feature" of BB10 that made me real hesitant about giving up BBOS6 and 7 was the built in Android player. My ever arrogant opinion remains the same; don't say a word to me about how secure BlackBerry is if you're busy side loading APKs on your device, you are missing the concepts of security almost entirely. Even as a loyal BlackBerry diehard, it is ridiculous to talk about platform security if you don't follow secure practices from the get-go :/

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    Richard Buckley and JeepBB like this.
    12-11-13 11:49 AM
    Sorry for the double post :/
    12-11-13 11:51 AM
    I personally don't see it as any more secure. I'm not on BES so I'm taking my chances someone could hack my grocery list at any time!
    Delete nudies now

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:54 AM
    There are those of us on the other side of that fence watching the same show. They are here trying to convince us how there is absolutely nothing better about a consumer's BlackBerry security capabilities but you know at least one of them has rooted their Android, which makes it abundantly clear that they've never compiled their own kernel and accompanying modules and etc before else they wouldn't do it because they would know better since app permissions are now the very least of their security screwups.

As far as BB, that was the one "feature" of BB10 that made me real hesitant about giving up BBOS6 and 7 was the built in Android player. My ever arrogant opinion remains the same; don't say a word to me about how secure BlackBerry is if you're busy side loading APKs on your device, you are missing the concepts of security almost entirely. Even as a loyal BlackBerry diehard, it is ridiculous to talk about platform security if you don't follow secure practices from the get-go :/

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    All my devices are stock. No apps from anywhere other than their respective app store. No developers I don't know or can't verify. And antivirus up the wazoo......

But antivirus is half the battle. There is malware that grabs your contact list or other data. And even malware is not the whole of the problem, there is adware.

but hey......go grab the APK or go to 1mobile and grab Instagram or Candy Crush.....everybody's doing it, it's larger than the Google Play Store.....

No thanks. I run Android and iPhone and BlackBerry with extreme caution.
    12-11-13 11:57 AM
    Let's not forget that iMessage messages are sent directly to the recipient with no decryption in between, unlike BBM.
    12-11-13 11:59 AM
140 123 ...