03-09-20 08:00 PM
    Wow, that is interesting, and it's also a massive security hole. It's a good thing no major banks (that I know of) made apps for BBOS.

Also, using this same technique I could have made a game that read all your secure emails in the background!

Ah, the good old days....
    03-09-20 08:16 PM
    Wow, that is interesting, and it's also a massive security hole. It's a good thing no major banks (that I know of) made apps for BBOS.

Also, using this same technique I could have made a game that read all your secure emails in the background!

Absolutely shocking isn't it.
    03-09-20 08:41 PM
    Absolutely shocking isn't it.
    Just a reminder that the standards for “secure” have changed quite a bit over the years.

I mean seriously *any* app can read your email on BBOS. That’s crazy.
    03-09-20 08:55 PM
    Just an FYI.... he was Director of Developer Relations at BlackBerry till 2011.

Seems as if he too worked for Mobile Nations, and built the native mobile apps for iOS, Android and BlackBerry back in 2011 - 2014.
    03-10-20 09:33 AM
    Just a reminder that the standards for “secure” have changed quite a bit over the years.

I mean seriously *any* app can read your email on BBOS. That’s crazy.
    I never used or heard of the app.... might not have worked the same in 2013 as it did in 2007?

But in the end, yes.... your only as good as the current patch or update level.
    03-10-20 09:35 AM
    I never used or heard of the app.... might not have worked the same in 2013 as it did in 2007?
    It didn't have to work in 2013. By then BlackBerry had improved the HTML rendering through BIS 2.5 and OS 4.5. - https://crackberry.com/north-america...-email-viewing Empower was also a popular alternative - https://crackberry.com/blackberry-so...er-html-viewer but yeah, Neil's work was game-changing and legendary!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-10-20 01:01 PM
    Cool article... thanks for sharing! I hope we'll get more of these types of interesting reads about the inner workings for BB app development now that the BB hardware well (first party or licensed) has run dry.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-20 01:36 PM

I used, and liked, a Wells Fargo app, back then. Never noticed any missing money... lol. But, yeah, pretty scary.

GOOD thing to know! Thanks @OP!!

Was that technique still working by 7.1.0.1098?
    03-10-20 04:53 PM