How has the durability and build quality been so far on your BlackBerry Passport? Underwhelmed? Overwhelmed? Disappointed? Impressed?

For me personally it's been an absolute Joy to use and get acquainted with. It's actually taken me a lot less time than I thought to get used to (coming from a Q10). That being said I've got 3 small issues (Amazon is shipping me a brand new replacement as I write this).

1. Very soft and squishy (almost inoperable) volume down key.

2. A single dead pixel

3. Small amount of light bleeding from the ends of the keyboard and bottom of space bar. (reading forums and other threads I realize that this is a "normal" occurrence)

Now as far as durability and build quality goes..... From what I've experienced it's been great, especially the keyboard and Screen. Not sure what they've coated the keyboard with but it's extremely durable. As far as everything else Bezels, backs and everything else, I'm not quite sure. Every previous BlackBerry I've had I've gone unprotected but for some reason (I'm thinking because of its heft and size in my hands) I feel extremely apprehensive about going unprotected with the Passport so since day one it's been protected by a cheap TPU case (Amzer Pudding Matte) bought from Ebay. Despite that though I must say I'm very impressed with its build quality and durability.

So again,

How has the durability and build quality been so far on your BlackBerry Passport? Underwhelmed? Overwhelmed? Disappointed? Impressed?

How has the durability and build quality been so far on your BlackBerry Passport? (Protected & Unpro-img_20141029_095558.jpg

How has the durability and build quality been so far on your BlackBerry Passport? (Protected & Unpro-img_20141029_095722.jpg

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry Passport.
    Grafic111 likes this.
    10-29-14 01:31 PM
    It's very good. What I'm a bit disappointed about the most is that the back finishing. It's beautiful, but very fragile. I'd rather have it in carbon weave. But overall I'm impressed. I'm like it better to have it naked, but I don't think it's possible now. I'm using the hard shell case on my passport now.
    10-29-14 01:37 PM
    I've been going without a case, at times it does feel unsafe but so far there isn't a scratch on it. Cleaning the screen is pretty easy, and keyboard scrolling means I have to do it less often.

I will pick up the flip case as soon as I find a shop where I can test it, but I am impressed by the quality so far.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-29-14 01:38 PM
    For me, so far so good. Just picked up the official BlackBerry flip case so hopefully will provide some protection in case of falls etc. Build quality feels really good. Weight is solid but requires a little more attention at first since this is no longer a one hander.

I came from a Z30 so the ability to use a holster is missed. I haven't become to accustomed to keeping my phones in my pockets just yet. Still getting used to it.

Edit: I was searching high and low for the flip case and finally came across it in a mall kiosk that sold only phone accessories. Pleasantly surprised since everyone else was sold out or on pre-order only.
    10-29-14 01:46 PM
    No case. No issues so far. Except had to reload os due to phone not working and one random reboot.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 01:48 PM
    My phone creeks in the back under the volume keys. The volume up key is also a bit loose.

Phone I noticed has restarted overnight a few nights (although this is probably software related)

Still a great phone and the most important things - screen and keyboard - have been great.

The above mentioned things I'd consider minor and not worth the hassle of switching/returning.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 01:51 PM
    I am satisfied with the building quality!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-29-14 02:12 PM
    I'm having a similar issue with my down volume key and I noticed this from day one. It even sounds different when it's pushed. I haven't decided if this is something I'm going to return it for or not yet as it is still fully functioning.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 02:24 PM
    I also really enjoyed the glass weave look and feel (Q10). The back of the Passport does seem to be prone to smudges and marks. Really reminds me of the back of the PlayBook.

10-29-14 02:29 PM
    I'm really pleased with the quality and materials on the Passport. It's got a great, solid feel. I'm comfortable putting it in my jeans pocket (though admittedly I make sure my keys aren't there first). I haven't been particularly careful with it and have even dropped it a couple of times and it hasn't shown a mark.

The keys on the keyboard are solid, and I've been really impressed with the feel and how well the kb can discern between a keypress, a tap, and a swipe.

The screen seems bulletproof.

The width of the device isn't going to work for everyone. Even after a couple of weeks I'm still finding I'm adjusting to it, but the strengths of the device are SOOOOO good that I find it well worth the compromise.
    alpha beta gaga likes this.
    10-29-14 03:02 PM
    It's very good. What I'm a bit disappointed about the most is that the back finishing. It's beautiful, but very fragile. I'd rather have it in carbon weave. But overall I'm impressed. I'm like it better to have it naked, but I don't think it's possible now. I'm using the hard shell case on my passport now.
    I was a huge fan of the glass weave as well (Q10). The look and feel was really pleasant. Although the back of the Passport does seem to be a bit of a magnet for marks and smudges. It actually reminds me of the PlayBook.

10-29-14 03:06 PM
    I've been going without a case, at times it does feel unsafe but so far there isn't a scratch on it. Cleaning the screen is pretty easy, and keyboard scrolling means I have to do it less often.

I will pick up the flip case as soon as I find a shop where I can test it, but I am impressed by the quality so far.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    I have also noticed a lot less screen wiping/cleaning due to the fantastic keyboard scrolling. I actually purchased a cheap knockoff flip case for it as well. Will post as soon as I receive it. Slow boat from China you know.

10-29-14 03:08 PM
    For me, so far so good. Just picked up the official BlackBerry flip case so hopefully will provide some protection in case of falls etc. Build quality feels really good. Weight is solid but requires a little more attention at first since this is no longer a one hander.

I came from a Z30 so the ability to use a holster is missed. I haven't become to accustomed to keeping my phones in my pockets just yet. Still getting used to it.

Edit: I was searching high and low for the flip case and finally came across it in a mall kiosk that sold only phone accessories. Pleasantly surprised since everyone else was sold out or on pre-order only.
    Yeah great point, that's probably the biggest adjustment (for me and my small hands at least) is the added heft to an obviously 2 handed device where I'm used to 1 hand. Overcame that quite easily but still an adjustment. It's because of that added "attention" when putting in and pulling out and quickly realizing that I'm eventually going to drop it that I decided to protect it.

10-29-14 03:17 PM
    No case. No issues so far. Except had to reload os due to phone not working and one random reboot.

Posted via CB10
    I've had a few reboots as well. Interestingly they both came while downloading apps from the Amazon App Store.

10-29-14 03:18 PM
    My phone creeks in the back under the volume keys. The volume up key is also a bit loose.

Phone I noticed has restarted overnight a few nights (although this is probably software related)

Still a great phone and the most important things - screen and keyboard - have been great.

The above mentioned things I'd consider minor and not worth the hassle of switching/returning.

Posted via CB10
    I had my Passport do one of those reboots during Bedside once but never again.

I'm also extremely impressed by the Gorilla lll screen and keyboard.

I really have no choice but to replace it. The volume down key is nearly inoperable.

10-29-14 03:21 PM

Impressed!!!

Honestly, didn't expect anything less from a BB10 product. The build quality and performance have been amazing.

(I don't understand these other posts about claiming otherwise though.......)
    10-29-14 03:22 PM
    I'm having a similar issue with my down volume key and I noticed this from day one. It even sounds different when it's pushed. I haven't decided if this is something I'm going to return it for or not yet as it is still fully functioning.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I thought I was the only one. Hopefully not a widespread hardware issue. Mine actually started off exactly like yours and just progressively got worst. Depending on what the "Return/Replace" policy is with your vendor I suppose. My brand new replacement is on FedEx and scheduled to be here on Friday so I'll let you know how different it is.

10-29-14 03:25 PM
    I'm really pleased with the quality and materials on the Passport. It's got a great, solid feel. I'm comfortable putting it in my jeans pocket (though admittedly I make sure my keys aren't there first). I haven't been particularly careful with it and have even dropped it a couple of times and it hasn't shown a mark.

The keys on the keyboard are solid, and I've been really impressed with the feel and how well the kb can discern between a keypress, a tap, and a swipe.

The screen seems bulletproof.

The width of the device isn't going to work for everyone. Even after a couple of weeks I'm still finding I'm adjusting to it, but the strengths of the device are SOOOOO good that I find it well worth the compromise.
    Wow. Impressive! Not being particularly careful AND dropping it a couple of times and not showing a single mark!? Top notch quality and durability indeed.

Well said about the keyboard and discerning different gestures. Absolutely genius and intuitive.

Hey, I owe you a grand apology. A few months ago I wrote a thread about how much I hated and would never buy a Passport. You said a few things to the affect of "give it time" and I attacked you for it. Pretty sure you don't remember but I apologize.... and..... you were right.

10-29-14 03:32 PM
    Impressed!!!

Honestly, didn't expect anything less from a BB10 product. The build quality and performance have been amazing.

(I don't understand these other posts about claiming otherwise though.......)
    Fantastic!

10-29-14 03:34 PM
    I have had two passports and they where both beautiful devices and the build quality is superb and where what I expected from a BlackBerry product geared towards the business sector.

I bought the BlackBerry hard shell case for both of them, I ended up selling my first one to a business client whom after playing with it for an hour, wrote me a check and told me to buy another one because he wanted it. Since then he has bought 10 of them for his employees.

I ended up buying a VIP model at a great price, but my issue is with my fingers and hands which after 30 years of repetitive task have taken its toll. I found my thumbs getting sore from pressing the physical keys versus the touchscreen ones on my z30.

Hopefully my doctor will prescribe some medicine for my hands and I will be back on the passport. I will say that after a few days on the physical keyboard, I found myself typing more accurate then on a touchscreen one.

I have big paws and the passport is definitely a two handed device and I did find myself almost dropping it on more the one occasion. The one item I think the passport really shines is call quality, very clear and the noise reduction technology is excellent. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile (10.3.1.938)
    10-30-14 04:30 AM
    Happy so far.

I can verify some light bleed on the right side where the lower two frets end. No dead pixel. Volume down key is a little softer than its upper counterpart, but if I hadn't read about it, I wouldn't have noticed it on my machine.

When I first looked at the keyboard sideways, I thought keys were lifting off, but then noticed there is a pattern to it! From photos and looking straight down on the device, you won't notice, but the keys are angled in the typical BlackBerry fashion, but compared to the Q10 it doesn't show here at all.
    Genius!

I'm also pleased with the, pardon, rim around the camera eye that protects the glass / lens.

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    10-30-14 05:23 AM
    I have had two passports and they where both beautiful devices and the build quality is superb and where what I expected from a BlackBerry product geared towards the business sector.

I bought the BlackBerry hard shell case for both of them, I ended up selling my first one to a business client whom after playing with it for an hour, wrote me a check and told me to buy another one because he wanted it. Since then he has bought 10 of them for his employees.

I ended up buying a VIP model at a great price, but my issue is with my fingers and hands which after 30 years of repetitive task have taken its toll. I found my thumbs getting sore from pressing the physical keys versus the touchscreen ones on my z30.

Hopefully my doctor will prescribe some medicine for my hands and I will be back on the passport. I will say that after a few days on the physical keyboard, I found myself typing more accurate then on a touchscreen one.

I have big paws and the passport is definitely a two handed device and I did find myself almost dropping it on more the one occasion. The one item I think the passport really shines is call quality, very clear and the noise reduction technology is excellent. Just my 2 cents.

Hope your hands recover soon. Maybe you can manage without any medicine / chemicals? :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    10-30-14 05:26 AM
    Been naked I'm satisfied with the build quality
    10-30-14 05:50 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Unprotected..perfect so far! Could not be more impressed!!
    How has the durability and build quality been so far on your BlackBerry Passport? (Protected & Unpro-img_20141025_092352.png

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:53 AM

I found myself in a similar situation. I've purchased 4 now and yes one of those dreaded "VIP" ones.

Sorry to hear about your hand condition, hopefully all will be well again shortly for you.

10-30-14 10:38 AM
42 12