My storm has some hardware defects and I want to get a replacement but have been to lazy because i didn't want to go through the hassle of contacting the developers of all the apps i purchased and ask them for a new registration code (which they will give me for free very happily)... I AM NOT TRYING TO STEAL APPS!!!!!!!!

I also dont want to go update the 90 or so BB contacts i have with my new PIN.

It would be a **** of a lot easier if i can just change the PIN on the new device.

is there ANYWAY to do that?

thanks@
    05-11-09 02:18 PM
    can't be done
    05-11-09 02:20 PM
    When you run DM and do a device switch it will handle updating your BBmessenger and contacts as well as move everything over. Go to your BIS and change pin, takes 1 min or less, call VZW to activate. It is a pain to have to register apps, but not that bad.

Good Luck!
    05-11-09 02:33 PM
    I just got a 8900 replacement and I didn't have any problems with what you are mentioning. I mean, if you have a backup (If not and your BB still allow you to do it, just do it) then also make a bakcup of your 3rd party apps (look for the instructions on this forum), just get your new phone, connect it to your PC and open Desktop Manager ad Restore your 3rd party apps first then Restore your settings (Backup). Doing this you will have not only all your Apps back but all your BB Messenger Contacts, settings, etc. Then just change your PIN on your BIS webpage, re-register and re-send your service books, and all your contacts should update automatically to your new phone.

Maybe you will need to go to all APPS developers and change the PIN in there, but if you bought most of them here or in mobihand, you just go to your account settings and change your PIN number there, and you will hae new codes automatically in the same page.
    05-11-09 02:38 PM
    +1 to the mods, they are needed at a site this big, don't be annoyed at them, and don't assume they are incompetent, uncaring, or malicious, even if you didn't get your way.

It will take time to tell your contacts your new pin, but the sooner you start, the sooner it'll be done.
    05-11-09 02:39 PM
    can't be done
    That is a conclusive answer, they are assigned during production, like the IMEI numbers.

BlackBerry has provided a way to exhange devices. The potential for confusion exists if these number could be changed. I wouldn't want to be the one that brings down BIS/BES during testing.
    05-11-09 02:41 PM
    well i have heard of people buying phones from ebay with PIN numbers altered to 00000000 or fffffffff, etc... so i think it IS possible to do it... there must be a way to over write that part of the memory that contains that information!

when i said BB pins, i wasnt specifically talking about BBM but direct pin messaging.
    Last edited by ddarvish; 05-11-09 at 03:20 PM.
    05-11-09 03:09 PM
    The point of the PIN is that it is unique to your phone. Would you rather get your messages with yoru PIN or get everyone else's that uses an altered PIN like 000000?
    05-11-09 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD