Hey everyone,

I have a 8703e without built in GPS. I'm thinking of buying a bluetooth GPS receiver since they're only around $50 or so on ebay. I just have a few questions though. My boyfriend has a Tomtom and I love how fast it is, miss your exit and it immediately updates and refreshes. I'm just concerned because this uses google maps and has to download the maps, is it really slow to update when you miss a turn and so on? I just find google maps is slow in general, loading it it downloads a map then entering addresses and so on just seems slow. I just don't want to spend the money on it if I'm constantly waiting for it to download and update the screen. Would rather use the receiver on my laptop even with streets and trips or buy an actual tomtom.

Is there any screenshots that show google maps in action with gps to see what it's like too? Thanks!
    05-02-08 10:18 AM
    tbh, if your gonna rely on GPS, go for the tomtom, theres just no comparing the two at all.
    05-02-08 10:37 AM
    There are a variety of gps applications although I don't know if they work on your device. Some are free and some have monthly subscriptions. I have not relied on any for directions just yet so I don't know how fast they recalculate the routes if you miss a turn or direction.

The other thing to remember is that if you go to a more remote location you may not have DATA service and so no mapping or directions may be possible.

I've got the Freedom bluetooth gps and it is tiny and seems to track well.

You might actually repost with that as part of the thread title to get more specific responses.

Something like "Off route - how fast is the recalc?"
    05-02-08 10:53 AM
    There are a variety of gps applications although I don't know if they work on your device. Some are free and some have monthly subscriptions. I have not relied on any for directions just yet so I don't know how fast they recalculate the routes if you miss a turn or direction.

The other thing to remember is that if you go to a more remote location you may not have DATA service and so no mapping or directions may be possible.

I've got the Freedom bluetooth gps and it is tiny and seems to track well.

You might actually repost with that as part of the thread title to get more specific responses.

Something like "Off route - how fast is the recalc?"
    My AT&T navigator hasn't let me down yet. It has been on point. Even when I was approaching traffic, it would alert me ahead of time.
    05-02-08 11:22 AM
    I have run my Curve GPS side by side to my best friends Navigon unit and my brothers TomTom and it more than held it's own. Not as pretty but it gets the job done quite well
    05-02-08 08:30 PM
    I have the freebie NAV4ALL software on my 8830 and it's dead on everytime, BUT it is slow starting up and if you miss a turn it is slow to recalc. I do, however, live in the Charlotte area which is a midsize metro location and so I'm not using it daily....maybe a couple times a month and it works for what I need it for. Plus, it's FREE and the fun wore off after the first week so I'm glad I didn't invest $$ in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 08:43 PM
    I have the freebie NAV4ALL software on my 8830 and it's dead on everytime with voice turn by turn navigation, BUT it is slow starting up and if you miss a turn it is slow to recalc. I do, however, live in the Charlotte area which is a midsize metro location and so I'm not using it daily....maybe a couple times a month and it works for what I need it for. Plus, it's FREE and the fun wore off after the first week so I'm glad I didn't invest $$ in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 08:44 PM
    I use BB maps with external gps. And I love it. The acuracy is good 3 to 10 meters.
    05-03-08 06:27 AM
    Wow I had never even heard of NAV4ALL but this is pretty good! The thing that I hate with google maps is I just find it SOOO slow, maybe it's just my phone since it's 8703e. I find you load the program and it takes awhile then I'll click the wheel to bring up the menu and it takes a few seconds so I click again thinking it didn't do it, then the menu comes up and it clicks something because I pushed it twice and so on. This NAV4ALL reminds me of the Telus Navigator program. It's more like a TomTom, I like how it goes in stages, enter country, enter province, enter city etc. I may actually look into getting a bluetooth gps receiver now!

I love how it has the voices, that's what I love about the TomTom, plus every language is so cool.
    Last edited by leemoreau; 05-03-08 at 10:28 AM.
    05-03-08 10:23 AM
    I've got Sprint navigation on my phone and I use it when I need to get somewhere where it involves traffic/freeways but most of the time I prefer my Garmin.
    05-03-08 09:04 PM
    Nav4All is great, but the startup sucks. It takes ages to get to where I'm going, hence why I'm trying to get Navigator on my phone. I believe 4.5 isn't allowing me to use it. :-(
    05-03-08 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD