I'm sorry for posting this if someone has already answered, but I've dug through and searched enough that I feel it's time to post.

So, does anyone know how to (or if you can) set the BB to download your email when you want it to through BIS? I did have it on sending live but it seems to cause me more headaches since I'm on my email a lot during the day. I would like to have it sort of "on demand" -- when I had my palm I had it set to open up via a particular button and then I could say download the email. Can you do this on the BB with BIS? For right now I have temporarily 'fixed' my problem by stopping the emails from coming through via the BIS site settings.

I don't have BES because, frankly, for as much as I want to access work email I don't think the $$ is worth it.

Thanks for all your help!
    02-02-09 07:05 PM
    I'm not sure if this is possible

What is it that's annoying you about getting the e-mails? Is it the alerts? You can disable the sounds on certain profile settings if you wanted to.
    02-02-09 07:07 PM
    If you want Activesync then you do not want a BB. The purpose of BB email is just that, always on always connected.
    02-02-09 07:08 PM
    I'm not sure if this is possible

What is it that's annoying you about getting the e-mails? Is it the alerts? You can disable the sounds on certain profile settings if you wanted to.
    Ahhh...I've actually got it as least disruptive as possible. I've disabled the sound alerts, LED, and only have the message icon. I've resigned myself to the fact that the message icon will have to be there unless I open the mailbox (not the mail per se). This was working okay, however, I've just realized that I really don't need it except "on demand."

I can live with it this way but if I could do "on demand" that would be optimal. Any thoughts?

(Truthfully, for as much as BB brags about it's product, like many on this site, I'm kinda wondering what there is to brag about. )
    02-02-09 07:10 PM
    If you want Activesync then you do not want a BB. The purpose of BB email is just that, always on always connected.
    Oh okay. Well that's a bummer - wish I had known that before I bought my BOLD. And I *thought* I had done my research -- hahahaha! Guess the joke is on me?!
    02-02-09 07:11 PM
    Windows Mobile, or iPhone can both do this. Why would you only want to check your email at random intervals?
    02-02-09 07:12 PM
    Windows Mobile, or iPhone can both do this. Why would you only want to check your email at random intervals?
    Hahahaha... I guess you might have missed part of the first message? It has to do with the fact that I am on email MOST of my day. It has also caused interference where my COMPUTER's email is not showing up as brand new and it is easy to miss! This is why I've decided to disable the email for now.
    02-02-09 07:14 PM
    Ahhh...I've actually got it as least disruptive as possible. I've disabled the sound alerts, LED, and only have the message icon. I've resigned myself to the fact that the message icon will have to be there unless I open the mailbox (not the mail per se). This was working okay, however, I've just realized that I really don't need it except "on demand."

I can live with it this way but if I could do "on demand" that would be optimal. Any thoughts?

(Truthfully, for as much as BB brags about it's product, like many on this site, I'm kinda wondering what there is to brag about. )
    Yeah, I could see how this would be frustrating if you didn't want to know you had mail all the time. The BB sort of begs you to open it, even with the alerts and whatnot off. The BB can brag because of this push e-mail service they offer; it's definitely better than the competition, at least at the moment. Unfortunately for you, that's not really what you want.

I honestly don't know a method of doing what you want. I know there are third-party e-mail apps out there, but those cost money, and I'm not even sure they do what you want. Hopefully someone can chime in here with a solution, although I've never seen one. Good luck!
    02-02-09 07:16 PM
    Sorry, figured that it might be something more than that. You can set the reconcilliation on the BB to help with this issue.

Go to messages > menu > options > Email Reconcilliation

Set wireless reconcile to OFF for the email in question.
    02-02-09 07:17 PM
    I believe that since one of the main features of the blackberry is push e-mail, there is no way to just get your e-mail when you want to check it.
    02-02-09 07:52 PM
    There is a way.

You have to get rid of BIS though.

I have followed the instruction of this Vietnamese bright guy (Anworm)

go to sites.google.com/site/blackberrywithoutbisbes/Home/english

You can get the BB to download data exactly as you wish and by installing Funamble the control of DL is entirely with you (though I am not yet using Funable.

This way does exactly what you are looking for and all you need is a data-pack bolt on to a standard voice plan - no need for a BB plan!
    02-02-09 08:37 PM
    I don't see why you would get a BlackBerry if you didn't want your email pushed into your device. Otherwise a Windows Mobile or Palm device would have been better suited. Activesync allows you to poll for email or download when you tell it to. I've always liked the idea of push email even when I was using WinMo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 09:30 PM
    Thanks schotchonrocks!
    I'm sorry some of you don't understand. I still have my palm where this worked fine. Like I said I obviously just didn't do enough research - I just thought I was getting an upgrade w BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD