How are people figuring out how much battery drain they get per hour exactly?
    02-15-10 08:36 PM
    with meterberry I believe
    02-15-10 08:38 PM
    Meterberry will do it.
    02-15-10 09:23 PM
    Meterberry. I have the app and it shows the drain percentage. It's really worth the money and shows alot of phone info.
    02-15-10 09:25 PM
    Yup. MeterBerry, amongst many other things, tracks the rate at which your battery drains every hour.
    02-15-10 09:40 PM
    If you can handle the math: Options / Status.

Battery power is expressed as a percentage, wait one hour then check it again. Subtract the two too calculate the change.
    02-16-10 09:51 AM
    If you can handle the math: Options / Status.

Battery power is expressed as a percentage, wait one hour then check it again. Subtract the two too calculate the change.
    Wow, the only one with a simple answer that doesn't involve 3rd party apps to do the subtraction for you.
    02-16-10 10:08 AM
    I almost bought meterberry, but all the bad reviews of it being a memory hog turned me away from the app.
    02-16-10 10:48 AM
    Haven't found this on my 9700. It has been a great app and let me identify what is the most economical settings for battery life. Also good to see when the battery is getting hot and to be able to track your free memory for any possible leakage issues.

I almost bought meterberry, but all the bad reviews of it being a memory hog turned me away from the app.
    02-16-10 10:54 AM
    Wow, the only one with a simple answer that doesn't involve 3rd party apps to do the subtraction for you.
    First, the OP asked
    How are people figuring out how much battery drain they get per hour exactly?
    It seems that people are using meterberry to do that.

Second, Reed offered a way that didn't require an app, but seriously, one has to wonder if a BB user would really need to be told to check it each hour manually and implement subtraction. The core tip there is that Options -> status will display battery level as a percentage. A user might not realize that much, but the subtraction part, people should not need to be told that.

Third, Meterberry does more than the subtraction. It also does the checking, automatically, so the user doesn't have to remember to check it every hour. And other things. As long as our blackberries have potential issues with battery drain or memory usage, we'll continue to find Meterberry useful.
    02-16-10 10:56 AM
    Yep, been using Meterberry for a long while now, on two devices, and I have to say, it ranks as one of the more frequently used apps on my phone. I log both battery use and also, memory status so I can see any trends (though, with the Storm 2, it's a moot point, my memory hardly ever moves).

As for being a "memory hog" I've never, ever seen it performing as such. Certainly, it uses some memory, but I've never, ever had any complaints about it and on my S2, since I routinely boot up with close to 108MB and rarely does it drop below 107 over an entire week, it's simply not an issue.

One other thing. MeterBerry can also track temperature. For me, living in Las Vegas and often spending extended periods of time outdoors when it's 105+ outside, that's very useful, plus all the other things the app offers.

P.S. My battery on my S2 averages a -1.7%/hr. drain, not too bad.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 02-16-10 at 11:07 AM.
    02-16-10 11:04 AM
    First, the OP asked

It seems that people are using meterberry to do that.

Second, Reed offered a way that didn't require an app, but seriously, one has to wonder if a BB user would really need to be told to check it each hour manually and implement subtraction. The core tip there is that Options -> status will display battery level as a percentage. A user might not realize that much, but the subtraction part, people should not need to be told that.

Third, Meterberry does more than the subtraction. It also does the checking, automatically, so the user doesn't have to remember to check it every hour. And other things. As long as our blackberries have potential issues with battery drain or memory usage, we'll continue to find Meterberry useful.
    The "status" screen only shows changes of 5% at a time. So the mechanism Reed outlined is a very rough approximation.
    02-16-10 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD