View Poll Results: How durable/sturdy do you think Blackberries are, physically?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • SUPER DURABLE... you don't even want to know what mine has been through and still survived!

8 18.18%
  • Definitely more durable than your average phone.

21 47.73%
  • About average.

9 20.45%
  • More easy to physically break or render non-functional than your average phone.

4 9.09%
  • They are the most delicate phones of them all!

2 4.55%
    I'm trying to convince my friend to get a BB, but he claims that it's not durable enough.... and right now he has some rinky-dink little flip phone from Sprint. I mean, I know BBs don't meet the military 810F specs, but I'd say that they're at least as durable as your average phone, and can definitely withstand more than thin flip phone and sliders.... Wouldn't you say??? Perhaps one with a trackPAD would be better so that he doesn't have to worry about the dust/dirt issue, but as far as occasionally dropping it or sliding it across a table, etc., as long as it has a case, it should hold up, no?
    05-20-10 02:02 PM
    I have owned two, both are bullet proof.

I have dropped them and watched them fly apart, scooped up and reassembled it and it worked just perfectly.

The wear their scratces like badges of honour.
    05-20-10 02:05 PM
    My 9000 was a tank. One of the best built phones I have ever owned, until I bought the 9700 and it felt like it was made by Fisher Price. Excellent phone just felt too cheap for me compared to the 9000.
    05-20-10 02:15 PM
    Well......... See this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/ho...inutes-470108/

05-20-10 02:17 PM

LOL!!! I saw that one (and posted in the thread) yesterday.... I think that scenario meets the standard for really exceptional/abnormal wear-and-tear though.... I mean the thing was crushed by metal bars in the footrest mechanism in a couch while it was being tipped over for heaven's sake!
    05-20-10 02:23 PM
    Ya true all out extremeness... But could take that into count with everyday life....

Of course we know all phones worst enemies are water.... Next I would say drops.

Bumps will happen here and there. But those sudden drop from a ladder or car or even desks, which people have reported happen and their screen cracks or buttons falls off....

But to be honest and to the point. I think they are built well for everyday use and with added protection of a case, it will make it last longer.....

"Would love to have a bubble wrap case" !!!!!!
    05-20-10 02:27 PM
    My 9000 is robust enough to resist 20 months of life mostly carried on my belt, without suffering any permanent damage. During that time it has been all over the world, daily heavy use in industrial environments. There are a few wear marks, the odd scar from getting dropped, and it still works at least as well as the day it was new.
    05-20-10 02:27 PM
    I dumped a beer (accidentally) all over my fiance and her purse the other day, which SOAKED her Tour. It would power up fine, but the keyboard and trackball didn't work, and the LED was cycling colors, etc. I let it dry out overnight, powered it up the next night and it fired right up, no problems... too bad I already made the insurance claim...

She also dropped hers in the can, stuffs it in her pockets with out any kind of sleeve to keep lint out of the trackball, and it never gave her one problem. I've dropped mine a couple times, but I generally baby it... They're damn durable.
    05-20-10 02:42 PM
    Dropped my phones many of times. Still work as they're supposed to.
    05-20-10 03:02 PM
    Up until this point I would have said below average. The fact that I am still breathing
    has totally changed my mind:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/my-...erally-261906/
    05-20-10 03:18 PM
    My two kids have had their curves for over a year now and they still work....
    05-20-10 03:34 PM
    My Tour is pretty stout but the Pearl is a beast. I had a Pearl for a while and it's virtually indestructible.

I know a couple guys (farmers) who carry Pearl's and they're almost unrecognizable as a BB. Scratched completely, top to bottom, front to back, I see them get dropped practically every time I see these guys. Phone's just keep on ticking.
    05-20-10 03:35 PM
    Up until this point I would have said below average. The fact that I am still breathing

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/my-...erally-261906/
    I almost mentioned this story. Definitely check it out.
    05-20-10 03:36 PM
    I would put it in the much more durable than your average phone category. My Bold 9000 slid off the roof of my car at 60 mph, the silicone case kept it on until that speed. I heard it thud off my trunk and then i looked at my cup holder and went. OH FU THAT WAS MY PHONE

I peeled it off the ground in 3 pieces, battery had nearly went in a storm drain, put it back together, booted it, didnt work. Tried booting again, worked perfectly. Only damage was on the silver bezel, which i replaced for 9 dollars.

My Bold saved my life. Literally
    Maybe ill buy another bold, it may just be the most durable blackberry ever!
    05-20-10 04:12 PM
    I don't care if everyone here says it's built like a tank or not - I still treat it as if it was made of fine porcelain.
    05-20-10 04:28 PM
    Well, My 8300 was an absolute tank, it had so many dents, scratches and chunks of paint missing, but it took it all in it's stride, never failing me until I made the mistake of going to a HTC Magic. Now I'm back on a new 8520, which doesn't feel as well built as the older curves or pearls, but time will tell.
    05-20-10 04:35 PM
    I have yet to drop my 9700 but all of my pearl have been abused like no other. They've been in water, dropped at least 4 times day for years, its been on fire (dont ask), its been thrown against the wall, the trackball housing was missing (still worked)...
    05-20-10 07:13 PM
    My 9000 was a tank. One of the best built phones I have ever owned, until I bought the 9700 and it felt like it was made by Fisher Price. Excellent phone just felt too cheap for me compared to the 9000.
    I must agree, although I've dropped my 9700 several times and the worst that's happened is a loose memory card.
    05-20-10 08:17 PM
    It depends on what you consider other phones: Other dumb phones or smart phones? Smart phones are, by their very nature, more prone to breaking than their dumb phone cousins. It's harder for something to break when there's less inside them to break in the first place.
    05-20-10 09:34 PM
    Dropped mine a couple times and now has some dam character! Thank god it still works, lol!

Pearl and storm were through some battles, especially the Pearl...never broke on me once...love BB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-10 10:21 PM
    By the way, you could recommend an Otterbox case to your friend. They offer great protection, and look bad @ss to boot.
    05-21-10 02:42 AM
    I put mine on the fence around the balcony while tying up a laundry line made with coaxial cable and didn't think, it got elbowed off and landed screen-down (despite having a soft silicone case), the worst position to land. The glass has a tiny X crack in it just above the trackpad. Thing still works thankfully the crack is a minor nuisence.

05-21-10 05:59 AM
    Allow me to present my friend's TankBerry 8310. Dropped, abused, stolen, dragged, thrown across a parking lot, recovered, FULLY-FUNCTIONAL. It has since been replaced by a shiny new 9700, but it still works. So yeah, I'm gonna go with "durable".

05-21-10 10:50 AM
    I accidentally dropped my 8900 once when someone bumped me. There was no damage but a broken heart </3. Dropping a phone is always heartbreaking

05-21-10 12:05 PM
    Yes. When mine flew out of my hand in the garage, my heart sank. I literally yelled and grabbed it not two seconds after it hit the ground. The awesome random eBay case I have saved all, though. I can't imagine not having some sort of case on my phone, especially not after what happened to my old Samsung A727 when it dropped a call as I was in a heated argument...
    05-21-10 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD