Hi,

I had a BB 8800 kicking around in a drawer gathering dust - so I thought I'd see what I could do with it.

Connected it to DM on the Mac, and it told me there was a new OS available - wonderful! Off I went to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5.0.180 (which took FAR longer than I thought - about an hour of tense fingernail chewing suspense as my BB reported various things surely not designed to put the user at ease. I later learned this was normal when an OS is wiped...)

All was well until I realised that I couldn't now use Bluetooth.

I checked dozens of posts - all over the web people reported bluetooth not working with Hungarian 8800s after a 4.5 OS upgrade - and, worse than that, there was no fix offered from RIM and no official acknowledgement of the problem. I guessed with the 8800 being an old device now that, if it hasn't been fixed for 5 years, it isn't going to be in the future.

I checked to see where my device was made... yep... Hungary.

I need my bluetooth back - so further forum searches told me I needed to downgrade - great link here:

How To Downgrade Your BlackBerry's Operating System | CrackBerry.com

So, I couldn't find an older OS from my carrier in anything other than EXE PC format.

Off to the PC we go - download 4.2.1.101 from my carrier as an EXE file - and install that, along with DM 7.1.0.32 on the PC

So now when I look in add / remove programs I see that the OS is there, along with the DM.

How to downgrade BB OS on DM 7.1.0.32?-addorremoveprogramscut.jpg

Great.

So, in I go to the DM:

How to downgrade BB OS on DM 7.1.0.32?-bbdmabout.jpg

And have a look for the OS versions I can downgrade to - but 4.2.1.101 is not in the list for some reason:

How to downgrade BB OS on DM 7.1.0.32?-bbdmavaiableosversions.jpg

I tried the "install..." option - but that doesn't seem to let me go to the EXE file from my carrier for 4.2.1.101 and install it from there. Frustrating!

Now, the only thing I can think of is the text box at the bottom of that which mentions an "upgrades.xml" file - I am guessing it may have something to do with that. i.e. if the upgrades.xml file does not include 4.2.1.101 as a valid upgrade path. (Text at the bottom).

So, I did a search on the PC for upgrades.xml - and it isn't there. Is it perhaps on the BB 8800?

Any ideas where I go from here?

Many thanks,

Harry

As an aid to comprehension, this section provides a brief overview of the life-cycle of a device upgrade. * Each OTASL capable device will contain one or more OTASL Service Records(SR) each identifying a Device Manager (DM). The DM may be located at RIM, may be part of a BES or, in future, could be associated with a 3rd party application provider. Each SR will identify the applications which are of interest to the corresponding DM. SRs may be delivered by PRV, BES or in an upgrade application loaded OTA. * The device will keep each DM informed of its configuration including hardware ID, vendor ID, the current software version (O/S, platform and core applications) and the current screen language setting. * Any of several authorized device administrators can request upgrade of a device. Administrators would include the BES administrator, RIM administrators, carrier administrators and possibly the end-user. Each administrator will have access to the device configuration. The BES and RIM administrators will have direct access to a DM while the carrier will have proxy access through RIM to its DM to obtain the configuration information. The end-user can simply access the information directly. * Given the configuration, the administrator can contact the Control Web Server (CWS) for a list of possible upgrades in the form of an XML document (upgrades.xml). * Based on corporate policies and goals, the administration module can then edit/filter the XML document and forward the result on to the device. The editing may include the removal of undesired upgrade paths or the addition of corporate policies on upgrade data routing (e.g. roaming) or user interaction (don't prompt). * On receipt of upgrades.xml, the device will execute the instructions in it possibly including querying the user for upgrade paths and options or just immediately initiating the upgrade.
    10-21-12 09:23 AM
    Please post device-specific questions in the correct sub-forum

Use the advanced instructions here: http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ocedure-53359/

Steps 4 and 6 are really important, 7 and 8 are optional.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    10-21-12 10:58 AM
    Sorry for posting in the wrong place - I've followed up in the correct forum:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...48#post7688048

Harry
    10-21-12 12:38 PM
    Download the OS you want and install it on your computer.
    10-21-12 02:27 PM