Go ahead laugh ;-) But I'm curious as to how and what wifi does for your phone? Does it help your phone signal or is it for web browsing? Is it free? Could someone please explain I tried searching the forums and didn't find really what I was looking for.
    06-22-08 08:55 AM
    First it is not free your SP will charge you a monthly fee for this. I have it and it works well I have fast browsing and better call signal. I personally think it is not worth what I am paying for so I will probably cancel it next month.
    06-22-08 09:08 AM
    1. It's generally for web browsing, and it does not affect your cellular signal at all.

You can use an application like Skype to make calls with VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) that routes calls over the internet. However, it doesn't use your cell phone's number or service. It is separate from your service provider and has its own fees associated with it.

T-Mobile also offers a plan where you can use a WiFi signal to make unlimited calls. This does use your cell number, and there's an added monthly fee.

2. As far as just web browsing, your service provider doesn't charge for it. The data doesn't go across their network, so they don't care. If you're at home with a WiFi signal or at an open hot spot, it's 100% free.
    06-22-08 10:11 AM
    yes wifi is free as long as the network you are connecting to lets u do it for free. t-mobile has a uma thing which u can add on that uses wifi to make calls and stuff and they charge for it, but that's different..

what is wifi you ask? i'd say google is ur friend. im too lazy to give an indepth answer. pretty much its for wireless internet.

HowStuffWorks "What Is WiFi?"
    06-22-08 10:24 AM
    I agree with post above..google it..but wi-fi is cool, espically if you don't have a data plan.. And its cool even if you do.. Nice addition to our new baby

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 12:06 PM
    Why do you guys even bother post a response if you're not going to say anything useful. It's annoying.

Using your Blackberry's WiFi essentially connects it to any available wireless Internet signal and allows you to use it to access the Internet through your handset. As long as you're using the Wifi connection and not your Blackberry's mobile browsing, you shouldn't be charged for this.

I don't know much more about what the limitations of use are, and was hoping someone else might have a more useful response, but hopefully I've helped a bit.
    05-22-10 01:57 PM
    You do realize you responded to a thread that is almost 2 years old.
    05-22-10 02:01 PM
    Wow 2 year old threads poping up...
    05-22-10 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD