How can RIM create the same excitement the iPhone garners?

Make a device as good as the iPhone.
    10-17-11 09:53 PM
    Don't take that out of context

You'll see trelawrence said and I paraphrase, start with a REALLY REALLY good product.

Apple did not, They had a unique product, and a great idea, and the marketing engine to drive it, and the momentum of iPod to pull users in, at a time when mobile phone adoption was still less than 50% in developed nations,

They were smart and moved to fix their problems, but the cherry picking of my line without context doesn't do it justice
    The original iPhone was competing with devices like the Palm Treo and numerous Windows Mobile devices as well as Blackberries and Symbian smartphones. The only surviving platform is BB OS and that does not have long left. I would say that any product which destroys its completion is a REALLY REALLY good product. I didn't own one but I think the killer features of the original iPhone were the web browser and hi res screen. It also introduced visual voicemail.
    10-17-11 09:56 PM
    The original iPhone was competing with devices like the Palm Treo and numerous Windows Mobile devices as well as Blackberries and Symbian smartphones. The only surviving platform is BB OS and that does not have long left. I would say that any product which destroys its completion is a REALLY REALLY good product. I didn't own one but I think the killer features of the original iPhone were the web browser and hi res screen. It also introduced visual voicemail.

The Concept of the iPhone was a Really really good concept, the first iPhone was not a really really good product.

it fed off of iPod Momentum, at a time when few had smartphones, it was industry changing YES, does it mean it was a really really good product? no, the iPhone 4 was a really really good products, each generation improved, but to say the first iPhone was a really good product with all that it was missing is shameful.

BUT since the majority of users still used flip featurephones, to them as a first smartphone it was a good product.
    10-17-11 10:39 PM
    Well at least we know where your mind is.........
    I think that's just his way of describing iFans.
    10-17-11 10:54 PM
    To an earlier point, I think consolidating the devices could be a good idea.

Keep the Bold. It is a no-brainer. Make the flagship line.

I say keep the Curve... maybe make it the budget catchall?

I'd probably bring back the Pearl, bu I am probably reaching... I like the Storm form factor, so if I had to pick, I'd pick the dual slider/keybard device.

You almost have to have an all-touchscreen. ordinarily, I would not want RIM to "pander" too much, but I think creating a nice virtual KB device will be a positive.

So there... 3 (maybe 4) device lines. Heck, you could consolidate that into two. Toss in a revamped Playbook, and RIM might turn heads.

Just dreaming... I am no product placement guru.
    10-17-11 11:18 PM
    @deRusset,
    Always good to read your posts dude.
    Very concise and on topic. Yours are one of the few posts I look to read, and are always relevant.
    You really should apply for consulting for RIM's marketing. Seriously mate.....
    I thought they were laying off and not hiring. Also does RIM even have a marketing dept?
    10-17-11 11:56 PM
    I thought they were laying off and not hiring. Also does RIM even have a marketing dept?
    They Actually were looking to higher this month some Software "evangelists" and I did mean to fire off an email, but I got busy with work, and never got around to punching out the email,

RIM laid off 2000 people, but have been hiring people as well, it wasn't a lay off to just lay people off, they did some strategic laying off, hopefully they can get those left fired up, and have the right leaders in the right rolls moving forward

To sam_b77, Marketing is something I would probably list at the bottom of my skillsets, I would not want to have a marketing career, it is so fickle.
    10-18-11 07:08 AM
    Revolutionize, that's how. That's what RIM did a decade ago when they combined the phone w/ e-mail. That's what Apple did in 2007 when they introduced the all-in-one small electronical device.

As long as RIM continues with the same leadership in place, and continues to lag and play catch-up, they'll struggle to gain back support. The larger issue is that smart phones today are much more than just phones. They are one piece of a larger computing and mobile computing experience. Apple, Google and Microsoft are all involved in every aspect of that - they are huge companies focused on all areas of computing and software. RIM is a MUCH smaller company that simply can't compete on all levels with those three giants.
    10-18-11 07:38 AM
    Revolutionize, that's how. That's what RIM did a decade ago when they combined the phone w/ e-mail. That's what Apple did in 2007 when they introduced the all-in-one small electronical device.

As long as RIM continues with the same leadership in place, and continues to lag and play catch-up, they'll struggle to gain back support. The larger issue is that smart phones today are much more than just phones. They are one piece of a larger computing and mobile computing experience. Apple, Google and Microsoft are all involved in every aspect of that - they are huge companies focused on all areas of computing and software. RIM is a MUCH smaller company that simply can't compete on all levels with those three giants.
    Agreed, RIM needs to form Synergistic alliances with someone like MicroSoft to do a better job competing on the grand scale that Mobile computing has become

hehe @Suits_USA
    10-18-11 08:04 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Its a Three day conference ... and more to follow ... stay cool ... Playbook will get a whole lot better in the next few weeks ... no doubt!... this is not a sprint! ...
    10-18-11 01:57 PM
    this is not a sprint! ...
    I don't think the words "RIM" and "sprint" really belong together, do you?
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    10-18-11 02:06 PM
    Its quite amusing that all the woes of BB and the PB seem to be thrown at the feet of marketing..

remember that old adage?.. "you can put lipstick on a pig ..."

there just isn't enough lipstick folks, RIM needs more desirable products.
    Pilchard likes this.
    10-18-11 03:46 PM
    Apple offers fun, Blackberry offers functionality. Apple has started to breach the other side, while it seems RIM has not.
    10-18-11 05:26 PM
    Apple offers fun, Blackberry offers functionality. Apple has started to breach the other side, while it seems RIM has not.
    I am not sure about "started". Aside from the keyboard and blinking light, I am not sure what functional advantage a BB offers over an iPhone. Profiles are nice but so is a hardware switch (pioneered by the Palm Treo BTW).
    10-18-11 09:27 PM
    You know, RIMers do a lot of complaining about Apple users being sheep... they do an awful lot of falling in line themselves. How many times has the mindless "Apple is fun and games, BlackBerry is about functionality and is for adults" line been thrown around these forums?
    10-19-11 08:08 AM
    You know, RIMers do a lot of complaining about Apple users being sheep... they do an awful lot of falling in line themselves. How many times has the mindless "Apple is fun and games, BlackBerry is about functionality and is for adults" line been thrown around these forums?
    Hey cause it's true. Well was. Apple has taken great strides in making functionality for corporate users available in their OS.
    10-19-11 01:29 PM
    Hey cause it's true. Well was. Apple has taken great strides in making functionality for corporate users available in their OS.
    They have offered support for Exchange Active Sync for several years now.
    10-19-11 01:35 PM
    I think some of the posters on this forum will be shocked to see RIM's loss of market share in the corporate workplace in the coming years.
    10-19-11 01:45 PM
    It's really funny to see people talk about apple as if they can compete with RIM. Apple is a toy my kids used to play with but have since discarded like an orange peel. Being a grown up I need a phone that can do more then play games and have ifart apps. RIM should try and compete and follow Google. I will never go back to apple which is IMO the WORST phone ever (iphone4). It can't even make simple phone calls. I hear the icrap4s is having all kinds of issues but the corproate paid mafia media would never report over and over and over again all the apple troubles. Sorry to the apple children but that is the truth.
    10-19-11 01:49 PM
    It's really funny to see people talk about apple as if they can compete with RIM. Apple is a toy my kids used to play with but have since discarded like an orange peel. Being a grown up I need a phone that can do more then play games and have ifart apps. RIM should try and compete and follow Google. I will never go back to apple which is IMO the WORST phone ever (iphone4). It can't even make simple phone calls. I hear the icrap4s is having all kinds of issues but the corproate paid mafia media would never report over and over and over again all the apple troubles. Sorry to the apple children but that is the truth.
    1) I'm not an Apple guy. I own a 2-generation old iPod, and that's it.

2) It's not a discussion of IF Apple CAN compete with RIM. They ARE competing with RIM, and Apple has a head of steam, both with the iPhone and the iPad.

I'm guessing that those who discount Apple as a viable player in the 'mature, professional, corporate and adult' space either 1) are none of those, 2) have never used an iPhone or 3) are fanboys for whom common sense isn't so common.
    phonejunky likes this.
    10-19-11 01:58 PM
    I was surprised to discover that my 4s is better for making phone calls than my 9700 was (or my 9780 is). Since I already owned an iPad, I was not suprised to discover to was also a much better email device (aside from the lack of a keyboard). Unlike my 9700, it syncs flawlessly with Google Calendar and Contacts and offers OTA syncing of Calendar and Contacts (and Tasks & Notes) via iCloud. These are all supposed to be core strengths of the RIM platform.

The iPhone also has a better web browser, a much better camera and a massive library of apps. The 9900 (the only BB worth considering IMHO) is left with a red flashing LED (very useful) and the best keyboard on any mobile device.
    10-19-11 02:02 PM
    Rim creates excitement by having a worldwide outage? That was their excitement and adrenaline rush to fix things under pressure on the Eve of their competitors launch. It's practice for them to train to beat deadlines. LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 03:48 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD