Here is a post for those wanting to discuss RIM's end-to-end architecture (and more specifically, how they are compressing data so much better than others).

I understand that there is compression being done for data being sent out from BES through the BlackBerry dispatcher. But at WES 2010 in Orlando, I heard the NOC is also compressing data. Can anybody comment on what kind of compression is being done here (for instance BES is compressing data at least 2 to 1 for messages). I know they acquired a company called Slipstrem that specializes in data compression, but I am still very curious as to how this is exactly done (what part of NOC compresses data?)
    06-07-10 09:52 AM
    ditto - same question. does NOC compress data for BIS?
    06-10-10 12:36 PM
    I've always thought that the data just gets spread out onto the floor in Waterloo and someone drives a steamroller over it before it goes back out the door. Maybe that's wrong though?

Could be majic too, some of the things my BB does sure seems like majic is involved.

Seriously though, good question I too am interested in this.
    06-10-10 12:48 PM
    I've been Googling it, and I'm having a hard time getting any kind of answer to how the BB data compression actually works... of course, they may not release that info...
    I know that if I were running RIM, I wouldn't tell people how my platform is a **** load more efficient than another platform...
    06-10-10 12:57 PM
    Start by searching RIM's patents. If there is anything really groundbreaking it is likely to be covered by a patent.
    06-10-10 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD