Hello,

I have the new classic, whenever I activate it on our BES server, usually a day or two later the device wipes itself. It is not the BES as I am on the same policy as every other user, and it isn't the device as this happened on a 9720 and a z10.

When the device is not activated on the BES, the problem does not occur. I believe I am being maliciously targeted.

When the device is activated on the BES, a policy applies that requires a device lock password and the device will wipe itself on 5 unsuccessful p/w attempts. I remember not activating it and setting the lock manually, in which case I get 10 unsuccessful attempts. When I returned to my phone one day (it was on charge) it said 6/10 attempts had been tried, wtf??

My question is, can somebody remotely enter my password and wipe the device with unsuccessful attempts? I live alone, so there is nobody else that can interact with the device. I even put the device in airplane mode when it was connected to the BES, yet I still woke up to it wiping itself.

Help!
    02-20-15 10:38 AM
    Talk to your IT Admin. If you're on a BES, he can not only tell you why it's happening but even trace the source (which is probably a problem on the device/BES or a security break such as you losing a password).

There is no hackng BB10/BES.
    Laura Knotek and jaydee5799 like this.
    02-20-15 10:42 AM
    I suggest keeping a closer eye on your phone. I don't believe that you can access it remotely like that. Your IT dept. maybe.... Have you pissed them off lately? Or annoyed them? Or asked too many dumb q's?
    02-20-15 10:50 AM
    Haha, no, I work in the IT dept, even the BES admin are perplexed and have no explanation as to how it's happening!

One thing to note, I have whatsapp installed on the device. My whatsapp keeps getting hacked - somebody has the ability to send messages on my behalf.

Could you initiate / trigger a wipe through whatsapp, is that even possible?
    02-20-15 10:53 AM
    OP- where was your phone. Could you have pocket wipe it?
    shahyaz likes this.
    02-20-15 10:55 AM
    No. Not possible.

You're keys have been compromised (or your BES Admin is a bit less capable then he should be).

Have them security wipe your device and start from scratch with new everything.
    02-20-15 10:56 AM
    Nope - my phone always gets wiped in the morning, when on charge. Usually around the same time whoever hacked my whatsapp sends out malicious messages to my contact list.
    Concession likes this.
    02-20-15 10:57 AM
    Hi diegonei - They wiped my user profile from the BES and re-set it up, provisioned a new sim with new number and gave me a new device (bb classic), yet the problem still occurs.

I changed my bb id too.

Have they missed anything?
    02-20-15 10:59 AM
    Sound more like you have an issue with someone physically close to you....

Change all your passwords and keep a watchful eye on your access points.

BES and BlackBerry Protect can do a remote wipe... but you wouldn't get a message about 6/10 attempts. That was someone picking up your phone and trying to access it. (Granddaughter wiped my PlayBook once that way - but pretty sure that at 3 years old she didn't have any bad intentions).
    NaijaBerry likes this.
    02-20-15 11:01 AM
    Just give the ghost in your house a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia, TGR1, Nayalm and 3 others like this.
    02-20-15 11:05 AM
    Hi Scalemaster - I live alone, nobody but me can physically touch the device, which is why i'm so freaked out. The device only wipes first thing in the morning. This is why I was wandering if somebody could remotely attempt to unlock the device (it sounds absurd, I know).

I have turned BB protect off, will re-active tonight and update with what happens tomorrow morning. No idea how its wiping in airplane mode, surely that means all comms are turned off????
    02-20-15 11:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    mrfreeze, q649, Tkarps and 1 others like this.
    02-20-15 11:12 AM
    haha man, whilst I appreciate your scepticism & sarcasm, sadly these are all facts, and sadly this is happening to me.

And I have no bloody explanation for any of it! If you like I can post the screenshots of the messages this 'hacker' sends to my contacts via whatsapp (:
    02-20-15 11:19 AM
    SuperSub,

If you are in airplane mode with no WiFi connection or data connection then there is something physically wrong with the the device or you're using it in your sleep.

Someone isn't hacking your device through osmosis.

Sorry about your troubles.

Freeze

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 11:20 AM
    haha man, whilst I appreciate your scepticism & sarcasm, sadly these are all facts, and sadly this is happening to me.

And I have no bloody explanation for any of it! If you like I can post the screenshots of the messages this 'hacker' sends to my contacts via whatsapp (:
    Sounds like they just have access to your whatsapp account.

Edit: Or then again you do it in your sleep.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 11:21 AM
    I wish the explanation was as simple as that buddy.

Woke up yesterday, device was fine (in airplane mode), had shower, came back to find it wiping itself. lol.

Three devices in a row have had this issue....I don't think it's the device sadly.
    02-20-15 11:28 AM
    So what device do you have?
    02-20-15 11:31 AM

I don't doubt that you are describing what you are experiencing. I just don't have any explanation for the given set of circumstances so,.. I, as humans have through out history, have no option but to resort to the "supernatural" to explain what I can't explain.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 11:32 AM
    1. It doesn't happen to other users around you.
    2. It's happened to you on your 9720, Z10 and now Classic.
    3. The number of password attempts exceeds 5.
    4. You live alone.

No pets?
    What if you physically lock up your device overnight with all comms off?
    02-20-15 11:39 AM
    Do you have Link installed on a PC? When it connects to the device it usually requires the device Password, and also gives the same number of attempts. How about Blend?

If the PC was compromised (much easier to do than a BES enforced BlackBerry) it would be possible for someone to keep trying password attempts through that.

Do you charge the device by plugging it to the computer's USB?

It seems that the only effect BES is having is the enforcement of a 5 password attempt limit, which gets triggered by the 6 password attempts initiated by whatever is causing this.

Posted via CB10
    spyeagle and shahyaz like this.
    02-20-15 11:41 AM
    No pets. I will reactivate on the bes, and this time, shut the device down before I sleep. Will post results of what happens tomorrow morning.

1. It doesn't happen to other users around you.
    2. It's happened to you on your 9720, Z10 and now Classic.
    3. The number of password attempts exceeds 5.
    4. You live alone.

No pets?
    What if you physically lock up your device overnight with all comms off?
    02-20-15 11:43 AM
    Hi AnimalPak,

The device is always charged via wall socket, I have never once connected it to any PC (as I have no need to).

Thanks,
    02-20-15 11:47 AM
    You're not alone! Your house are full of ghosts!

CB10 - Q10
    02-20-15 11:47 AM
    So what device do you have?
    Really?

CB10 - Q10
    02-20-15 11:48 AM
    Really?

CB10 - Q10
    Really what? He has stated he has different devices in different threads and look at his post count.
    02-20-15 11:50 AM
176 123 ...