As I thought I understood it, there are two GPS "modes" on my 9650 from Verizon:
    • E911 only - where the GPS is not actually turned on, but applications can determine your approximate location using cell tower signal evaluations.
    • Location on - where the GPS is actually on and applications can pinpoint your location within a few meters using the GPS system.

When I leave the phone in E911 only, for example, Google Maps works fairly well at identifying my location within a block or so. This is usually good enough for me unless I'm driving and lost somewhere and need more accurate information to find my way out. Some other applications also seem to be able to determine roughly where I'm at when the phone is set in this mode.

I was also told that leaving the GPS on will consume considerably more battery that leaving it off, which is another reason I like to leave it E911 only.

Problem I'm having is with BerryWeather - I would like to use the location-based weather forecast, but it doesn't seem to work unless the GPS is turned on. If I leave it at E911 only, it shows "locating failed" when I add the "current location".

Sound normal? Only some apps are able to use both modes of determining location and BerryWeather is not one I guess?

Thanks.
    02-10-11 07:40 AM
    I leave my GPS on all the time for the exact reason you state...for my weather app. I'm a fairly heavy user of my device and have a 1700mAh battery that gives me a little extra juice to easily get me through the day. Also, my WiFi is always on. Imo, leaving GPS and WiFi on uses very little of your battery and allows your device to function as a smart phone. With OS6 battery life seems phenomenal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by i_hiker; 02-10-11 at 08:20 AM.
    02-10-11 08:04 AM
    I leave my gps on all the time for apps to use. doesn't seem to eat up battery to much. but thats about how it works.
    02-10-11 08:05 AM
    As I thought I understood it, there are two GPS "modes" on my 9650 from Verizon:
    • E911 only - where the GPS is not actually turned on, but applications can determine your approximate location using cell tower signal evaluations.
    • Location on - where the GPS is actually on and applications can pinpoint your location within a few meters using the GPS system.

When I leave the phone in E911 only, for example, Google Maps works fairly well at identifying my location within a block or so. This is usually good enough for me unless I'm driving and lost somewhere and need more accurate information to find my way out. Some other applications also seem to be able to determine roughly where I'm at when the phone is set in this mode.

I was also told that leaving the GPS on will consume considerably more battery that leaving it off, which is another reason I like to leave it E911 only.

Problem I'm having is with BerryWeather - I would like to use the location-based weather forecast, but it doesn't seem to work unless the GPS is turned on. If I leave it at E911 only, it shows "locating failed" when I add the "current location".

Sound normal? Only some apps are able to use both modes of determining location and BerryWeather is not one I guess?

Thanks.

on E911, your GPS will only be used to send 911 operators your location in case of an emergency, it turns off all other location services.

As for GPS consuming battery, well turning on "location services" does not impact battery life, the phone is smarter than that..it will deactivate GPS whenever it's not in use.

Now, if you have Google Maps or any other navigation program constantly running then yeah, it will kill your battery.
    02-10-11 11:00 AM
    +1 I never turn off wifi or GPS. They are not big battery drainers!!! In fact when my Bold was not active, I left them both on and my battery lasted 3 days.

If anything is a battery drainer it's the constant signal searching on the mobile network.
    02-10-11 11:05 AM
    Ok, to answer the OP's question... Why doesn't BerryWeather work when GPS is set to E911.
    Answer: Go into BerryWeather hit the menu buttion > Settings > General Settings > Scroll down to GPS/Cell Location and change the "Get Current Location From" setting to Cell Location Only.

Hope that helps clear up your problems.
    02-10-11 11:23 AM
    As Draco has pointed out, Cell Location will need to be used in order for BerryWeather or any other app to find your location if GPS is set to E911 only, that is why Google Maps location is not as accurate as when GPS is turned on.
    02-10-11 01:19 PM
    Ok, to answer the OP's question... Why doesn't BerryWeather work when GPS is set to E911.
    Answer: Go into BerryWeather hit the menu buttion > Settings > General Settings > Scroll down to GPS/Cell Location and change the "Get Current Location From" setting to Cell Location Only.

Hope that helps clear up your problems.
    Thanks - this is my issue - it doesn't work when "cell location only" is selected. It returns "locating failed" when I add a "current location". It will work when the GPS is on. Same result whether I have BerryWeather set to use cell only, cell then gps, or gps only.

02-10-11 05:11 PM
    Yeah, I was playing around with this last night... Not only is "Cell Location" less accurate, it is much less reliable than GPS. If you are in a low service area, or in an area with hills, or if your in a building... many times there isn't enough "cell signal" to get the right ammount of information to BerryWeather. I was getting a lot of failed messages when I tried it last night too.

My recommendation is, unless you're traveling a LOT, then set your most common locations in different views, then you just need to scroll side-to-side.
    02-11-11 08:34 AM
    I completely disagree with people thinking it's a good idea to always leave GPS. Nothing sucks a battery down faster than GPS. I've disabled the GPS for startup for poynt, and I don't use GPS it for berryweather. I can still use GPS for poynt when I'm actually using the app, but it's not always sucking down battery to power GPS when the app isn't being used. I can turn on for berry weather if i want, but I would never want to - I've setup 5 locations that cover where I'm at 99% of the time.
    02-11-11 10:09 AM
    I completely disagree with people thinking it's a good idea to always leave GPS. Nothing sucks a battery down faster than GPS. I've disabled the GPS for startup for poynt, and I don't use GPS it for berryweather. I can still use GPS for poynt when I'm actually using the app, but it's not always sucking down battery to power GPS when the app isn't being used. I can turn on for berry weather if i want, but I would never want to - I've setup 5 locations that cover where I'm at 99% of the time.
    On my device, I don't see much of a drain using GPS and keeping it on with my weather app. After a heavy day of use I'm usually down to 30-35% left in the tank. I do use a 1700mAh battery but I'm a fairly heavy talker, texter, emailer. Maybe your device behaves differently. I would agree that using the GPS for navigation is a battery drain. I travel a lot but use my old Garmin Nuvi for navigation when in the vehicle. I do use Poynt from time to time when in an unfamiliar city but get my info and shut it down.

Slightly off topic, but when it comes to battery drain issues, the solution is better battery management. Keeping your Mobile Network Option set to 1XEV when you don't need your SIM seems to help. Turning the brightness down on the screen makes a difference. Bluetooth can be a drain but I usually limit that to when I'm in the vehicle and then the car charger is hooked up. Keeping your device in "sleep" mode when not using it helps your battery life. Shutting off the GPS connected to my weather app might make a small difference, but not enough to push me to do it.
    02-11-11 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD