I know how to use it, but how does it work? Do all calls go through RIM's servers? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that when dnd is in use, missed calls that get directly routed to voicemail show up as "unknown caller" in the phone log. That makes me think the call is being somehow routed by RIM or the carrier rather than being simply rejected by the device and bounced to voicemail. TIA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 07:19 AM
    Hi Tonis, I have never used it but it may be shutting off the radio and data. Select dnd and check your network settings to see what it is doing. If calls are only being logged as "unknown" my guess is it is doing just that.
    05-21-11 10:50 AM
    I don't think it's shutting off radio and data, albee 1, because other features of the device still work. For example, I could be using the browser, and a call will come in and show up momentarily as a missed call.

DND's a great feature, as all calls get sent directly to voicemail, but I understand the feature has been omitted from later os's, which is really too bad. Using the "Off" profile is not the same; it shuts off all other notifications, and the phone call screen still lights up until the phone stops ringing and goes to voicemail.

05-21-11 11:01 AM
    Wow, I just came back to reply and the entire CB site has been facelifted! Calls must then go through the server and direct to Vm. I really don't know. Someone else will have the answer.
    05-21-11 01:11 PM
    I have no idea as I have never seen this option. I just use the silent option in profiles but I guess that would not send the calls quickly to voice mail it would ring for a while first
    05-21-11 02:07 PM
    It sends your calls to voicemail without the phone ringing.
    It's since been removed on newer versions of BB OS.
    05-21-11 02:20 PM
    I have no idea as I have never seen this option. I just use the silent option in profiles but I guess that would not send the calls quickly to voice mail it would ring for a while first
    As CaliBB already reported, it sends calls directly to voicemail. If you have an older os like mine, you can apply it by going into Profiles, advanced mode and editing one of your profiles; in "phone," scroll to the bottom and set "Do Not Disturb" to "yes." And no, it doesn't ring the phone at all.

Last edited by T�nis; 05-21-11 at 02:48 PM.
    05-21-11 02:43 PM
    UPDATE:

Did some reading (old cb topics) and have drawn the following conclusion re the unknown number thing: it's carrier-specific, possibly a cdma/gsm discrepancy. Caller idea displayed the incoming call numbers for some users who I noticed were on gsm carriers. Verizon and Sprint (the two cdma biggies) -- no go, "unknown number" only.

05-22-11 02:33 PM
    that's interesting never heard of this option.
    05-22-11 09:13 PM
    Old topic, I know, but there's something else I want to point out. Another reason why "Do Not Disturb" is good, why it's NOT the same as using the "Off" profile (or some other profile in which notifications are set to off), is this: using "Do Not Disturb" is the only way to prevent some other person from answering your phone, because it sends all calls directly to voicemail. Even if you apply the "Off" profile and lock your phone, the phone's screen will still light up with a call whenever one comes in, and someone else (e.g. a member of your own
    household) could pick up your phone and answer it.

06-05-11 12:36 PM
    Surely this is just the same as call divert all calls to voicemail from the call divert options?
    06-05-11 05:08 PM
    Surely this is just the same as call divert all calls to voicemail from the call divert options?
    Not sure. I've never seen the call divert option. Where is it?

06-05-11 05:11 PM
    Ah ... Just found it! Didn't even know I had call forwarding. Thanks, Mark-D!

06-05-11 05:17 PM
    Well, looked into this a little. I even called Sprint and found out that with my Simply Everything plan there are no extra charges for using it. But call forwarding's not the same as "Do Not Disturb." I can't find a way to forward calls directly to my voicemail. What number do I use? I tried entering my own number, and that didn't work.

06-07-11 11:09 AM
    Mine is just diverted to my standard number I'd call for voicemail.

Here's the screenshot

06-08-11 06:48 AM
    My own call forwarding screen is not so advanced. It just allows me to enter numbers into a drop down menu. I think the number my phone calls when I press the voicemail button is my own phone number, but when I enter that into call forwarding, it doesn't seem to accept it properly. Other numbers work.

06-08-11 07:30 AM
    Mine is running OS 6, maybe that's the difference.

Can you call into your voicemail from an outside number such as a landline?

From my phone to get to voicemail I dial 123 but I can also get to my voicemail from any number by dialing 07973 100123 which is the number that the calls divert to.
    06-08-11 08:08 AM
    I can check my voicemail from a remote phone by dialing my own phone number; when it answers, I press * and enter my p/w to access it. I suppose it could be an os or, more likely, a network thing.

06-08-11 08:19 AM
    I can check my voicemail from a remote phone by dialing my own phone number; when it answers, I press * and enter my p/w to access it. I suppose it could be an os or, more likely, a network thing.

I'm guessing it's a network thing as I had call forwarding on my 8300.
    06-08-11 04:29 PM
    I'm guessing it's a network thing as I had call forwarding on my 8300.
    Well, that's just it. I DO have call forwarding. I just don't have a voice mail access number that can be entered into the call forwarding application. Go figure!

06-08-11 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD