Hi everyone,

Like most people here who are waiting for 10.3.1 to officially upgrade our OS, I'm counting the days until I can use Blend.

I'm a bit confused as to how Blend would work via the mobile network. For example, if I leave my phone at home (WiFi off, mobile data on), but I bring my laptop to work and connect to the internet via my work's internet, will I still be able to access my PIM on Blend?

How exactly does this work?
    Will I use twice the amount of mobile data by accessing my PIM via Blend?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 03:34 PM
    For example, if I leave my phone at home (WiFi off, mobile data on), but I bring my laptop to work and connect to the internet via my work's internet, will I still be able to access my PIM on Blend?
    Yes. (Keep in mind, you'll have to have actually used Blend before and associated your device over WiFi at some point)

Not sure about twice, but you'll be using more for sure.
    11-11-14 03:46 PM
    Um, it doesn't work over mobile... right? I just tried today with no luck. Unless there's something I don't know about, you can't.
    11-11-14 05:07 PM
    Um, it doesn't work over mobile... right? I just tried today with no luck. Unless there's something I don't know about, you can't.
    In the demo, I thought I saw an option that said "mobile network".

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 05:24 PM
    Hi everyone,

Like most people here who are waiting for 10.3.1 to officially upgrade our OS, I'm counting the days until I can use Blend.

I'm a bit confused as to how Blend would work via the mobile network. For example, if I leave my phone at home (WiFi off, mobile data on), but I bring my laptop to work and connect to the internet via my work's internet, will I still be able to access my PIM on Blend?

How exactly does this work?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    First question. Yes. You can blend via mobile network even if your phone is away but remember that you need to configure blend with the same bbid of your phone.

On your phone you need to activate the mobile network function under settings, device connections (the blend logo one), use mobile network.

How does Blend work via mobile network?-img_20141111_192409.png

Second question, Not exactly twice amount of mobile data but YES more than usual, , the data used by your phone because the pim service is one and the data used for your phone to send the info via mobile network to the blend app on your pc is the other.

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport
    quik4life likes this.
    11-11-14 06:30 PM
    First question. Yes. You can blend via mobile network even if your phone is away but remember that you need to configure blend with the same bbid of your phone.

On your phone you need to activate the mobile network function under settings, device connections (the blend logo one), use mobile network.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141111_192409.png 
Views:	573 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	313791

Second question, Not exactly twice amount of mobile data but YES more than usual, , the data used by your phone because the pim service is one and the data used for your phone to send the info via mobile network to the blend app on your pc is the other.

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport
    Bingo! That's why I couldn't do it! I'm not syncing over mobile..

LOL thanks!
    11-11-14 10:09 PM
    The question is a good one though.
    Is all data passing through your phone (twice) or is some intercepted by the noc and passed directly from the noc's cache?
    My gut says the phone, as the latter seems extremely complicated. But it would be cool.

Why doesn't BlackBerry just have a cloud with the same features...another topic I guess.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 11:03 PM
    The question is a good one though.
    Is all data passing through your phone (twice) or is some intercepted by the noc and passed directly from the noc's cache?
    My gut says the phone, as the latter seems extremely complicated. But it would be cool.

Why doesn't BlackBerry just have a cloud with the same features...another topic I guess.

Posted via CB10
    I think their selling point for Blend is that it's cloud-like but without the need for a cloud. If BlackBerry cached your phone in their NOC then that defeats the point of privacy and security. BlackBerry could then be compelled to give your data to authorities, or the NOC could be compromised somehow.
    11-12-14 12:02 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, some data, such as email, doesn't need the NOC, but things such as BBM messages do need the NOC. The NOC doesn't know about email until the Blend software on the device tells it. So email pretty much has to be sent from device to NOC and then from NOC to Blend on the PC. BBM and perhaps a few other things (Calendar events maybe?) could be forked and sent simultaneously from NOC to device and PC.

This is one difference between Blend and the old SideKick Desktop Interface that it reminds me of. With the SideKick DI, if you dropped your phone in a pond, you could still go on a PC and use the DI. If your BlackBerry is turned off or destroyed, Blend fails.
    11-12-14 08:05 AM