OK guys, I am far from dumb but I have yet to figure this out and I've had a blackberry for 2 yrs. I gave up a long time ago but just got my new bold and I'd really like to figure it out. Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to make your phone sound different for different people when they text you? For instance, I have 5 people that I want to have a different sounding text than the rest of the world.

I'd really appreciate it!!
    06-23-10 02:34 PM
    Go to the sound icon, scroll down to Set Contact Alerts, add it there.
    06-23-10 02:37 PM
    Or you could do it from the specific contact in the 'Custom Ring Tones/Alerts' section.
    06-23-10 02:46 PM
    Thanks misterobvious...lol

That option only gives me the ability to change the ringtone of calls and emails maybe? I do not see SMS listed on there, that's my prob.

Thanks anyone who can help
    06-23-10 02:51 PM
    BB Dude, not sure how to select a name in there. Ughh I have a lot of looking to do
    06-23-10 02:52 PM
    Go to your contact. Click edit contact. Then scroll down to custom ringtones and alerts and click on messages.
    06-23-10 02:57 PM
    Select a contact you have saved, edit it, then just below the top section of information, there is a 'Custom Ring Tones/Alerts' section and then you can change the 'Messages' section. Alternatively you can change the same section the way misterobvious said with the Messages section.
    06-23-10 02:58 PM
    Go to your contact. Click edit contact. Then scroll down to custom ringtones and alerts and click on messages.
    OK that is easy enough but does that change the tone for Emails AND SMS messages. If so I guess I can live with that.

Thanks everyone
    06-23-10 03:00 PM
    OK that is easy enough but does that change the tone for Emails AND SMS messages. If so I guess I can live with that.

Thanks everyone
    I am pretty sure it should change it for all messages from the contact (MMS, SMS, Email, PIN and the others)
    06-23-10 03:04 PM
    okie doke, that'll work...appreciate it. Maybe now I'll be able to finally get this right
    06-23-10 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD