How can you tell if your on Wifi or Edge? I see the Wifi symbol on top right but it looks greyed out.
    08-03-09 01:07 PM
    Greyed out Wifi symbol means you are not connected to the router... when I'm on my BB Browser you can press the letter "U" and see a status bar... it will show a Wifi symbol if you are using your Wifi.
    08-03-09 01:10 PM
    The wifi symbol should be light up if u are connecte, if its grayed out, then ur just on edge or 3G or wateva u may have...
    08-03-09 01:13 PM
    Greyed out Wifi symbol means you are not connected to the router... when I'm on my BB Browser you can press the letter "U" and see a status bar... it will show a Wifi symbol if you are using your Wifi.
    Well I setup the WiFi network so how do I get connected to the router and start using WiFi?
    08-03-09 01:14 PM
    Well I setup the WiFi network so how do I get connected to the router and start using WiFi?
    You can check out the Wifi How To guide link in my signature below.
    08-03-09 01:16 PM
    hmm think something is wrong with my WiFi symbol, cause it says I'm connected but the icon is still grey...
    08-03-09 01:31 PM
    hmm think something is wrong with my WiFi symbol, cause it says I'm connected but the icon is still grey...
    yeah same with mine I can connect but WiFi is still grey
    08-03-09 01:35 PM
    You need to read through the WiFi Guide link in Fatboy's or my signature.
    08-03-09 01:36 PM
    You need to read through the WiFi Guide link in Fatboy's or my signature.
    I did sir I read it all and even followed the steps on how to disable the other data. It just wont turn on
    08-03-09 01:47 PM
    Did you really read through the entire thread (all posts) and still do not have a solution? I have a very hard time believing you did that and still can't get it working.
    08-03-09 01:54 PM
    yes I read through the entire article. If I am on the browser and go to menu>options>Browser Configuration>Browser and if it shows Hotspot Browser does that mean I am on WiFI?
    08-03-09 02:03 PM
    yes I read through the entire article. If I am on the browser and go to menu>options>Browser Configuration>Browser and if it shows Hotspot Browser does that mean I am on WiFI?
    That does not mean you are using your Wifi... that just means the browser preferences are set to Hotspot Browser...

Have you tried to just power off your wireless router for 30 seconds and then plug it back in??? It generally takes about 1-2 minutes to come back up fully.
    08-03-09 02:10 PM
    Not the entire article, the entire thread - including the responses. There is more information and solutions within the other posts in that thread. You need to read through all of it so you can get your stuff working.
    08-03-09 02:13 PM
    Not the entire article, the entire thread - including the responses. There is more information and solutions within the other posts in that thread. You need to read through all of it so you can get your stuff working.
    will do. Do you have like am AIM messenger account to help me with couple things?
    08-03-09 02:23 PM
    could use some help
    08-10-09 01:40 PM
    I suppose in the mean time I'll ask some standard questions.

What brand router are you trying to connect to? Do you have access to the settings of said router? What other wireless devices do you have in the immediate area (microwave, cordless phone etc)?

What kind of security is setup on the router? Is it a B,G or N router?
    08-10-09 01:47 PM
    I've been having lots of trouble using the Wifi on my 8900. I finally found out about changing the browser to Hotspot Browser by googling the problem (thanks, ATT, for setting up unusable defaults).

But I can't follow the instructions for WiFi setup in Fatboy or Aristile's links because my menus aren't the same. For instance, in Mobile Network Options, I only have Data Services-On; and Mobile Network-AT&T. Neither is changeable. I can't access any of the options listed in the Wifi guide (at least, not in the places instructed).

Are there similar instructions specific to the 8900?

Basically, my problem is that I've only been successful in connecting to AT&T hotspots. Everything else gives me a variety of crazy responses. A couple of places, I get a screen that says something like "enter in the router this numeric code Blackberry will provide you." What? This is free public Wifi--I don't have access to the router. Then at work, we could never get to the sign in screen. It kept asking for the key, but what IT gave me never worked. They tried to set it up so that I would automatically connect without having to sign in. Still doesn't work. In all of these cases, I'm able to set up the wireless network, and it registers on the BB, but it never actually CONNECTS to the BB. It says under Manage Connections that WiFi is on, and gives the network name in green, but instead of a check mark I get a white hyphen.

Any ideas are appreciated.
    08-16-09 10:53 PM
    The white dash in the WiFi connection means you are connected to the WiFi connection. The green check mark means you are connected to the WiFi connection and also connected to UMA. Since AT&T does not offer UMA, you will not get the check mark.

I really don't know what is the deal with the "Mobile Network Options" with AT&T 8900s. Some users here report that they have no issues changing the options, while others report that they can change the options with no issues. I've seen both things reported form users with and without data plans setup on the users' accounts. So I don't know what is the deal with AT&T but I wish we could figure it out.

Once you are connected to the WiFi connection, make sure your Browser settings are:

Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Hotspot
    Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Hotspot

I think you might already have this setup since you can connect to the AT&T Hotspots successfully. Unfortunately, I think the issue is that you need to change those settings that you cannot modify.
    08-16-09 11:35 PM
    The answer is actually self-explanatory.... You have AT&T (there's your problem)! They may have wide coverage, but their network sux. Plain and simple. I have worked with far too many people on the AT&T network who eventually left because things just never worked right, and when they did it was only temporary. I'd rather have a smaller area of coverage and have things work great all the time than have a huge coverage area with things that only work sometimes.

08-16-09 11:39 PM
    having the same issue
    08-17-09 08:33 AM
    Hmmm.... I'm on AT&T, Curve 8900 OS 4.6.1.231. My router (home) is a D-Link N.

As far as I can tell, I'm on Wifi, at least the Wifi icon is lit up.

However under Browser - Options - Browser Config (as well as General Properties), Browser is set to Internet Browser. Choices are (Internet Browser / MediaNet / Hotspot Browser).

Would I see faster speeds if I set the Browser to Hotspot?
    08-17-09 09:06 AM
    Hmmm.... I'm on AT&T, Curve 8900 OS 4.6.1.231. My router (home) is a D-Link N.

As far as I can tell, I'm on Wifi, at least the Wifi icon is lit up.

However under Browser - Options - Browser Config (as well as General Properties), Browser is set to Internet Browser. Choices are (Internet Browser / MediaNet / Hotspot Browser).

Would I see faster speeds if I set the Browser to Hotspot?
    You would have a faster connection if you used WIFI, now you are using cellular connection.
    08-17-09 09:14 AM
    My only options are Internet Browser (the default), MediaNet, and Hotspot Browser. There is no WiFi option.
    08-17-09 09:28 AM
    Hotspot=wifi
    08-17-09 09:37 AM
    Okay, gotcha! I'll try it tonight! Thanks!
    08-17-09 09:38 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD