I am very new at this and trying to decide between the Bold, the Curve 8900
    or wait for the Bold 9700. My question is how do so many people end up
    with more than one Berry? There are some with 2 newer versions.
    Are they just buying outright? Just curious.

Thanks
    Last edited by Truth51; 08-23-09 at 05:31 PM.
    08-23-09 03:35 PM
    get one for discount from contract, then buying them out right when new ones are out. You can usually save yourself ~$100 or so if you wait a month after its released.
    08-23-09 03:39 PM
    In many cases, they are carrier upgrades.

After a year, the trusty old BlackBerry is eligible for an upgrade. Many of us keep the old one for a backup or convert it for testing purposes.

I am less then a month from a shiney new 8900, if I choose. Then I will have three.
    08-23-09 03:41 PM
    Buy outright for me. Or pick up used ones from fellow users.
    08-23-09 03:57 PM
    Like many, I assume, I have an obsession about the newest and greatest Blackberry. Currently, I am using the Tour and my work phone is the Bold. As a backup I have the 8830 WE. I have 3 lines on my family plan, each time one is ready for an upgrade its usually for a Berry.... I paid full retail for the 8830 WE and the Storm ($500)
    08-23-09 04:00 PM
    get one for discount from contract, then buying them out right when new ones are out. You can usually save yourself ~$100 or so if you wait a month after its released.
    I agree...........
    08-23-09 04:32 PM
    With the exception of the Bold, which was given to me, all my
    phones have been upgrades. I absolutely refuse to pay full
    retail for a phone.
    08-23-09 04:34 PM
    Love at first sight...sort of. Got the Storm...and 18 days later got the Tour...Result: Never use the Tour. It's not nearly as good as the Storm for my purposes, but I kept it anyways. I hate contracts, so I pay full retail. Canada sucks for promotions, so I paid 770 for each of my BBs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 07:12 PM
    My question is how do so many people end up
    with more than one Berry?
    To each his or her own but I simply have never gotten the idea of anyone with 2 (or more) BlackBerrys. Now don't get me wrong, I love my 8900 but the idea of carrying, maintaining, updating, cleaning and using TWO different devices gives me a headache just thinking about it.
    08-23-09 07:17 PM
    Love at first sight...sort of. Got the Storm...and 18 days later got the Tour...Result: Never use the Tour. It's not nearly as good as the Storm for my purposes, but I kept it anyways.
    Curious. What exactly did you love so much more about the Storm over the Tour?

I think the form factor of the Storm is georgeous but I'm not a fan of using full screens because they seem to be more work absent a QWERTY keyboard and they get much greasier with face gunk all over them all the time.
    08-23-09 07:20 PM
    To each his or her own but I simply have never gotten the idea of anyone with 2 (or more) BlackBerrys. Now don't get me wrong, I love my 8900 but the idea of carrying, maintaining, updating, cleaning and using TWO different devices gives me a headache just thinking about it.
    Once you get the whole process down you never really think about it. Also
    being on a GSM network, while you are upgrading, fixing, etc... one you can
    put the SIM into the other unit and never miss a beat.
    08-23-09 07:26 PM
    Once you get the whole process down you never really think about it. Also
    being on a GSM network, while you are upgrading, fixing, etc... one you can
    put the SIM into the other unit and never miss a beat.

I have customized ringtones for EVERYONE (basically their name) which is stored to my memory card. When anyone I know calls me, they are announced with their name as their ringtone.

I have a lot of apps that are customized. My BB Smart Alarm program for instance has 18 different alarms.

Internet browser has a ton of favorites I regularly visit.

I could go on and on. None of these customizations or apps are going to set themselves up or move with the transfer of a SIM card.

One of the beauties of a BlackBerry is the wonderful flexibility of what you can do with it. Unfortunately, those customizations take time to set up. When I wiped my 8900 and upgraded to the .250 OS, it took DAYS to get my BB back to where I wanted it. I couldn't imagine doing that work twice or more to maintain more than one device.
    08-23-09 08:43 PM
    I keep two storms and a vx6700 for WiFi! One storm for me, one for me wife.
    08-23-09 08:47 PM
    got my 8320 1st about 6 months ago and thats all it took, bought outrite 8900 and i never touch the 8320 ever and my boss gets a new BB every year from work and corporate tells him to do whatever with the year old ones and he knows how much im in to them so he has given me a 8100, and two 8320...so they also just sit, i cant bring myself to sell them....fracking blackberrys
    08-23-09 09:12 PM
    I got my first BB as a contract phone, then later on I purchased an 8330 Curve on eBay for 250 which I then traded for a Flip 8230 from a friend.
    08-23-09 09:58 PM
    i got my Bold with my new AT&T contract when i left Sprint. i decided that i wanted the 8900 when it was released because of its much better camera and smaller design. so i was lucky enough to snag a pretty much brand new one that i traded another phone and internet tablet for. i always have had at minimum, 2-3 phones incase i needed one as a backup or just felt like changing it up.
    08-23-09 10:25 PM
    I have like 6. I get them threw T-Mo upgrades. 4 lines on the Account. I also buy/sell on Craigslist.
    08-23-09 11:13 PM
    Through upgrades or buying outright. My first blackberry was an 8100. When I was eligible for an upgrade I got myself an 8320. By the time I am eligible again the 9700 should be out and I will most likely be upgrading to it. I also recently traded my 8100 for an 8220 because I wanted to try out the Flip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 03:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD