I've never been successful doing other than an OTA download. There is a box full of downloads I've done that just sits on my lower toolbar, but I don't know how to make them sync with Desktop Manager. When I click "Add", I can't find where the downloads are. I looked under Tips but couldn't find help there. Is there a Sticky on this somewhere?
    07-24-08 07:55 PM
    I've never been successful doing other than an OTA download. There is a box full of downloads I've done that just sits on my lower toolbar, but I don't know how to make them sync with Desktop Manager. When I click "Add", I can't find where the downloads are. I looked under Tips but couldn't find help there. Is there a Sticky on this somewhere?
    I don't understand what you mean by "just sits on my lower toolbar." If you've got zip'd or exe files sitting on your computer, you have to install them before App Loader can load them.

When I download a file, I save it in a folder called "MyDownloads." Then I double-click or unzip it as necessary to let it install itself. Then I run DM/App Loader and point it to the folder where the .alx file was just put. App Loader loads the app.
    07-24-08 08:00 PM
    I don't understand the download box either. When I download a program, a box comes up to let me open/save it. I save it with Firefox but nothing more comes up to let me "install" it. I can see it in the download box but the only option in there is to "clear list" and that deletes them all.

My problem seems to be trying to find where the files are. Somehow I got the impression it was in Docs and Settings, but I don't see any of them there. When I click Add, I browse but can't find the files.
    07-24-08 08:11 PM
    I don't understand the download box either. When I download a program, a box comes up to let me open/save it. I save it with Firefox but nothing more comes up to let me "install" it. I can see it in the download box but the only option in there is to "clear list" and that deletes them all.

My problem seems to be trying to find where the files are. Somehow I got the impression it was in Docs and Settings, but I don't see any of them there. When I click Add, I browse but can't find the files.
    I don't use Firefox, but there has to be an option when you download a file to save to disk. When you save it, you have to know where you saved it. If Firefox is defaulting to some obscure location deep in the bowels of Windows, change it to something you can find like "MyDocuments\MyDownloads." The full path on my computer is D:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Downloads. Then you can easily navigate to it and double-click it or run the exe, whichever is necessary, to install the file. Again, you have to watch where the app installs itself, so you can point the App Loader to the correct folder. Once you can do that, the App Loader will find and install them for you.
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-24-08 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Typo plus additional info
    07-24-08 08:16 PM
    Thanks for giving me some ideas. I'll look for My documents/downloads and try to direct the files to where I can find them. Makes me want to do a download just to see if this will work. I'll come back and let you know. Thanks again!
    07-24-08 08:49 PM
    Thanks for giving me some ideas. I'll look for My documents/downloads and try to direct the files to where I can find them. Makes me want to do a download just to see if this will work. I'll come back and let you know. Thanks again!
    You'll have to create the My Downloads folder. Just create it in My Documents, which is probably already a folder on your desktop. If you do that, you won't have to worry about the full path. Just double-click on My Documents and My Downloads will be there after you create it. It's really a lot easier to do than it is to explain. You'll get it. If you have any more questions, just ask.
    07-24-08 08:59 PM
    Thanks Jeff, I just created a "My Downloads" folder. Now if I can just get the files to go there..... I'll be back when I have an occasion to try downloading again.
    07-24-08 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD