From time to time I get calls from unknown number, which I automatically reject. Then I find out they are from various police departments when I listen to the voicemail messages. I do not live anywhere near Willoughby and have no desire to get a recording telling me to look out for burglars who broke into garages in Willoughby. I also got a recording mentioning swine flu vaccines being offered in Painesville, which is no where near me either.

How do I make this stop?
    03-17-10 03:50 PM
    From time to time I get calls from unknown number, which I automatically reject. Then I find out they are from various police departments when I listen to the voicemail messages. I do not live anywhere near Willoughby and have no desire to get a recording telling me to look out for burglars who broke into garages in Willoughby. I also got a recording mentioning swine flu vaccines being offered in Painesville, which is no where near me either.

How do I make this stop?
    how bout call the police department and tell them to stop
    03-17-10 03:56 PM
    Change your number??
    03-17-10 04:17 PM
    how bout call the police department and tell them to stop
    My question has been resolved. I called the PD, and they said they got my number from a database. I then contacted my college. If I want alerts to notify me of closure of the college my number is also in the database for the other agencies. I would have to cancel the alerts from the college in order to cancel the other alerts.

Looks like I have to live with it, since I do need to know when classes are canceled.
    03-17-10 04:22 PM
    My question has been resolved. I called the PD, and they said they got my number from a database. I then contacted my college. If I want alerts to notify me of closure of the college my number is also in the database for the other agencies. I would have to cancel the alerts from the college in order to cancel the other alerts.

Looks like I have to live with it, since I do need to know when classes are canceled.
    If the police are using the same couple numbers to call from, download and install a call blocker app. Filter 'em that way. There are a few choices in AppWorld.
    03-17-10 04:25 PM
    ===== QUOTE lak611 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

If the police are using the same couple numbers to call from, download and install a call blocker app. Filter 'em that way. There are a few choices in AppWorld.
    I don't know what the numbers are. My caller ID shows "unknown number."

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-17-10 04:28 PM
    If I block all unknown numbers I wouldn't get the alerts from the college, since those show up as "unknown number" also.

03-17-10 04:32 PM
    True that. I'd cancel the alerts from the college then too and just check the news/school website when the weather is in doubt. We're in Spring now anyway so it's not like the school is likely to be closed again for awhile. Can you sign up for email alerts instead?

I'd also call the Mayors of those towns and report their police departments for using an irrelevant database ie making unwanted calls to your mobile phone. After reporting it to the mayors, also report it to their town newspapers. They shouldn't be using your school's database for alerts that have nothing to do with the school. A kick in the pants might get their act together.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 03-17-10 at 07:20 PM.
    03-17-10 07:13 PM
    OMG! Put your number on the DNC (Do Not Call) list and be done with it. That way unless you've specifically entered into an agreement with someone to notify you for specific reasons (i.e. your collage), you won't get called.
    03-17-10 07:44 PM
    OMG! Put your number on the DNC (Do Not Call) list and be done with it. That way unless you've specifically entered into an agreement with someone to notify you for specific reasons (i.e. your collage), you won't get called.
    I am on the DNC list. The college said the only way to stop getting all the alerts (including those from the police and health boards) would be to change my alert number or unsubscribe all alerts.

I cannot rely on a landline number, since I'm usually not home to get the message. So it's all alerts or no alerts from the college for me.

03-17-10 07:48 PM
    Lol. You certainly got my vote for "Best Thread Title 2010".
    03-17-10 08:08 PM
    Lol. You certainly got my vote for "Best Thread Title 2010".
    I agree! I was all ready to answer, "Stop calling people, breathing heavy and hanging up."

Unfortunately, the DNC list doesn't apply to certain groups like public services and non-profits. So yeah, you're probably stuck with none or both.

If you can get an invite to Google Voice, you could send all unknowns to voice mail without ringing your phone. Then Google Voice can transcribe the message and email it to you.
    03-17-10 08:17 PM
    DNC is limited in its application. Opt-in databases are exempt.
    03-18-10 08:58 AM
    Could just switch to the University of Akron. We have a dedicated service that texts us and lets us know whats going on in the community (weather, crimes around campus, etc.). Good luck though!
    03-18-10 09:24 AM
    DNC is limited in its application. Opt-in databases are exempt.
    Isn't that what I said? Lol. Reread the post.

And to the OP, sounds like you're stuck with the calls unless you come off the list. Honestly, are you that concerned that you need to be notified of stuff happening on the campus? I'm sure there are other means to get the same info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 10:25 AM
    Like someone already recommended I'd look into a google voice number.
    03-18-10 10:30 AM
    Isn't that what I said? Lol. Reread the post.

And to the OP, sounds like you're stuck with the calls unless you come off the list. Honestly, are you that concerned that you need to be notified of stuff happening on the campus? I'm sure there are other means to get the same info.

As OP said (I suggest you re-read as well), the police are using the same database as the school. OP is opted in to the police because of this, therefore DNC would not apply. What needs to happen is the police need a kick in the pants to get their own database.
    03-19-10 01:13 AM
    I answer unknown calls. However, I'm supposed to be getting calls from PD's. On the other hand, if it is someone I don't want to talk to (which never happens) I would simply push the red 'end key'.
    03-19-10 08:24 AM
    I answer unknown calls. However, I'm supposed to be getting calls from PD's. On the other hand, if it is someone I don't want to talk to (which never happens) I would simply push the red 'end key'.
    Indeed. However, I can understand not wanting to be bothered with or burn minutes on unwanted calls.

03-19-10 09:10 AM
    Your school doesn't send notifications through your school e-mail address?

Whenever campus is closed my school calls my land line number and sends a notification(and for anything other than closings) to my school e-mail address. So, if you're school e-mail is synced to your BB, you're all set.
    03-19-10 10:03 PM
    Your school doesn't send notifications through your school e-mail address?

Whenever campus is closed my school calls my land line number and sends a notification(and for anything other than closings) to my school e-mail address. So, if you're school e-mail is synced to your BB, you're all set.
    No. The alerts are through a recorded message to the phone number one provides. I could use a landline number, but I'm usually not home.

Notifications of grades posted come via SMS.

The school does not use email for any important notices. The emails are only for things like when to register for classes or to communicate with professors or other students in a class.

03-19-10 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD