Ok, here's the deal and I just want a straight reliable answer on how to do this. I have a 3 month old BB Tour that is having screen/backlight issues. Verizon is replacing it with (supposedly) a new and not refurbished one that is being sent to me. I've been slightly regretful of purchasing a BB to begin with, NOT that I dislike it in any way, it's just more than I need right now. (Considering pretty much all I do is text, call, and check Facebook, I'm not sure it's worth an extra $30 on my bill.) I thought I might take the opportunity of getting a brand new one as a way to sell it as NIB. So, can I just activate an old phone and sell this new Tour, or must I activate it first on my account? Also, what does "clean ESN" mean and what would make it not "clean"? And would the warranty transfer to whomever buys it? Is there anything else I should know about selling a Blackberry on eBay that could end up biting me in the rear? Thanks for any help that can be provided!
    12-19-09 11:02 PM
    Once you get your new tour all you have to do is acivate your old phone and sell the tour. A clean ESN is a phone that hasnt been stolen, missing, or any account fees etc. on the phone. The warranty will not transfer to the new buyer and you might be able to sell it for $300 since its "unused".
    12-20-09 01:30 AM
    Once you get your new tour all you have to do is acivate your old phone and sell the tour. A clean ESN is a phone that hasnt been stolen, missing, or any account fees etc. on the phone. The warranty will not transfer to the new buyer and you might be able to sell it for $300 since its "unused".
    The warranty with your carrier may not transfer, but the RIM warranty will, the Tour has not been out for a year yet. Plus, you might suggest to the potential buyer that they purchase handset insurance with your carrier, as that will insure the purchased phone in case something goes wrong. I have had handset insurance with Sprint for over 6 years and have purchased many used phones and they all were insured.
    12-20-09 09:39 AM
    good points, plus with these types of phones (expensive smartphones) most have a form of TEP (sprint's total equip protection) not sure what Vzn has but this would cover them for most any damage that they cause, so you needn't feel bad about the manufacture's warranty not carrying over, if it doesn't transfer
    12-20-09 09:43 AM
    Thanks for all the tips, people! I really appreciate it.
    12-20-09 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD