I have a Blackberry 8830. I have downloaded MobiPocket reader successfully. I have downloaded an eBook in Mobi. prc format to the 8gB media card and it shows as being there. But I am unable to read it. When I call it I get the message "Unable to read file". Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong in the system? Any help would be appreciated.
    chuckrob
    03-13-09 05:00 PM
    hi chuckrob-hmmmm....so you dowld mobi from your curve. (i have same model) and an icon appeared on your h/s, what happens wen you access the mobi from your h/s-does it show the book in there? and is that where your clicking on it to open it?
    03-13-09 05:27 PM
    When I access Mobi Reader from my home screen I get the heading "Library-No books" and yet I have the book stored on my media card. Thanks for your help.
    Chuckrob
    03-13-09 06:10 PM
    Did u try goin in2 ur media section to try and access it from there? Also wen u purchase a ebook the online acct has it there so u can dwnld it to ur compt and install thru ur dtm. Maybe try that also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 06:58 PM
    I tried through the media list but it wouldn't open. I can get on my computer and load it into the Blackberry but then I can't open it to read it.

03-13-09 07:08 PM
    ok chuckrob - then im lost on this one....i have the same bb as you and use mobi as well and have loaded 2 books and 2 samples no prob. i go right into the icon on my h/s and it brings up my list of books that are there. maybe some1 else has an answer.....sorry i couldnt help you futher.

if something else comes to me, il post back to you.
    03-13-09 07:28 PM
    Maybe the file is corrupted/protected.

Do you have the mobi desktop program? If so, try opening in that.

Mobi works best if you use the desktop program to organize your library and sync titles to your BB. At least that is my experience.

03-13-09 07:31 PM
    You cannot read your ebooks while your BB is connected to your computer. Remember, you cannot access your media card when your BB is connected. Try disconnecting your BB and then try viewing the books.
    03-13-09 07:39 PM
    Good call degilmo. I made that mistake the first time I tried to transfer an ebook.

03-13-09 07:42 PM
    Good call degilmo. I made that mistake the first time I tried to transfer an ebook.

Hey, no problem... I learned that one by personal experience as well. I am growing to respect the mistakes I make because they end up making us experts in the big picture!
    03-13-09 07:44 PM
    You cannot read your ebooks while your BB is connected to your computer. Remember, you cannot access your media card when your BB is connected. Try disconnecting your BB and then try viewing the books.
    thanks for sharing that....i usually load ebooks directly to my bb-but if i do it thru dtm-this will be a valued tip!!
    03-13-09 07:47 PM
    thanks for sharing that....i usually load ebooks directly to my bb-but if i do it thru dtm-this will be a valued tip!!
    Well, actually, I dragged and dropped my ebooks into my BB without using DM, and the same still applies. Whenever your BB is connected, and if you have chosen "Mass Storage Mode Support: On" then you will have this issue. However, if you turn Mass Storage Mode off, you can then view your media card with it connected.
    03-13-09 07:49 PM
    I do hope you get your problem soved, but it seems like quite a challenge to read an entire book on that tiny screen. Have you thought about listening to audio books on your BB? Most public libraries have a pretty big selection for free. You can rip the cd's (takes about 5 minutes per cd) from Windows Media Player into mp3 format, copy to your sd card and listen. Then you can even "read" while your driving.

Grey
    03-13-09 07:53 PM
    Great idea Grey! I didn't think of that! Another good tip! Thanks for sharing as well.....I keep 4gettin all the great things that can be done with a bb aft having a basic cell ph all these yrs!! Lol

03-13-09 09:07 PM
    Thanks to all who replied. I've tried the suggestions but I still haven't solved the problem. Here's what I've done. I have downloaded a book from ManyBooks in both .prc and .pdf form. I've turned Mass Storage Mode OFF. Then I've tried two ways to read the book.
    Way 1...
    03-14-09 02:02 AM
    Thanks to every one who replied. I've followed your suggestions but I still have the problem. Here's what I've done. I downloaded an eBook from ManyBooks in both .prc and .pdf forms. They are both on the media card. Mass storage mode has been turned OFF.
    I've tried two ways...
    1. Go to Media
    2.Go to Explore
    3.Go to Media Card
    4.Clock on Name of Book.prc
    5.Message received "Unable to display file"

Way 2...
    1. Go to Media
    2. Go to Media Card
    3.Go to Blackberry folder
    4.Go to menu and Documents
    5.Click on Name of Book.pdf
    6. Message received "Unable to display file"

So what am I (or the system) doing wrong?

By the way, can anyone recommend a good .pdf reader? I've tried several times to download Acrobat Reader but it never happens - at least it never puts an icon on the applications screen and I can't read a .pdf file when I click on it.

Sorry to be so persistent about a problem that is not really of earthshaking proportions but when I'm confronted with something that doesn't work, it nags at me until I ( or someone else) solves it.
    chuckrob
    03-14-09 02:14 AM
    Hmmm. Sounds to me like mobipocket reader just can't find your ebooks. I don't know if it matters or not but I have all of my *.prc ebooks in a folder named eBooks on my media card. Perhaps mobipocket requires this file structure? FWIW I put all my ebooks on the media card via drag and drop in mass storage mode. All of them were transferred from other formats using the free converter available at the mobi site. This converter has done a nice job with a couple of PDF format books I had so if you are just looking for a basic way to read PDF mobipocket might work for you there too.

Good luck

03-14-09 04:46 AM
    Create a folder called "eBooks" in the root folder of your memory card. After that they should be automatically detected. If not, check in the reader program under settings->memory to see if the "Ebooks" folder on sd card status is ready. It should be.

On your other question, there is no free way to view pdf files on BB yet. Adobe and Foxit both claim to working on portable versions for the BB, but don't hold your breath on that one. I do believe that Docstogo premium or something like that does pdf. However, it is rather expensive if that is all you need it for.

The best method at this point is to convert pdfs to another format for viewing or just open them on a computer.

03-14-09 08:40 AM
    Thanks to every one who replied. I've followed your suggestions but I still have the problem. Here's what I've done. I downloaded an eBook from ManyBooks in both .prc and .pdf forms. They are both on the media card. Mass storage mode has been turned OFF.
    I've tried two ways...
    1. Go to Media
    2.Go to Explore
    3.Go to Media Card
    4.Clock on Name of Book.prc
    5.Message received "Unable to display file"

Way 2...
    1. Go to Media
    2. Go to Media Card
    3.Go to Blackberry folder
    4.Go to menu and Documents
    5.Click on Name of Book.pdf
    6. Message received "Unable to display file"

So what am I (or the system) doing wrong?

By the way, can anyone recommend a good .pdf reader? I've tried several times to download Acrobat Reader but it never happens - at least it never puts an icon on the applications screen and I can't read a .pdf file when I click on it.

Sorry to be so persistent about a problem that is not really of earthshaking proportions but when I'm confronted with something that doesn't work, it nags at me until I ( or someone else) solves it.
    chuckrob
    You should be able to just open up MobiPocket Reader and find the books there. If you have saved the books in "eBooks" on your media card, MobiReader will automatically find them for you. That's the beauty of MobiPocket.
    03-14-09 09:16 AM
    There is only one way for a BB to open and read a pdf file without having a pdf reading program installed on your device, and that is to email to yourself. Personally, I have found this method to be rather slow for reading (I think the BB uses it's internet connection to populate pages of the book from the web, one page at a time). But then again, if your reading each page, you probably don't need it to load up all that fast anyway. As someone else suggested, DocsToGo has a premium version that will read pdf's (I think it's about $70). There are cheaper readers...BeamBerry is one and I have found others before, but never purchased. Not to beat a dead horse, but listening to books in mp3 format sure is easier on the eyes and a lot less trouble.

Grey
    03-14-09 10:47 AM
    Thanks to all who gave me suggestions. The problem is solved! I put the *.prc eBook in a file on the media card named "ebbooks". If I clicked on the file it was unable to read it. But if I opened MobiPocket reader, it saw the file and I was able to open it. The key feature seemed to be that at one point I got a screen that asked if I wanted to let the file see messages. I clicked "Deny" and then everything worked. Don't ask me why, but it did.
    Thanks again to all, this is a great forum and you are all great! People helping people is what it's all about.
    Chuckrob
    03-14-09 12:05 PM
    E-Books are read left to right.
    03-14-09 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD