If my phone is stolen, even though it is locked, someone could take out the SD card and read it on their own phone. How would I prevent that? And would that prevent my phone from saving all my pix and videos directly to the SD card?

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    03-16-15 12:35 PM
    I don't think it hinders saving to the card

Settings > Security > Encryption.

Set the Media Card Encryption switch to on

Beware though that you'll have to decrypt the media card before initiating a security wipe or else you won't be able to access it anymore afterwards

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker and OTCHRussell like this.
    03-16-15 12:43 PM
    I don't think it hinders saving to the card

Settings > Security > Encryption.

Set the Media Card Encryption switch to on

Beware though that you'll have to decrypt the media card before initiating a security wipe or else you won't be able to access it anymore afterwards

Posted via CB10
    If I encrypt the card, how do I read it on my computer? I very often back up the media card separately with an adapter. I transfer files that way too.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    03-17-15 06:50 AM
    If I encrypt the card, how do I read it on my computer? I very often back up the media card separately with an adapter. I transfer files that way too.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    Dont remove the card to back it up. Plug phone into USB and go to "my computer" to access the media card on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 07:07 AM

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    Settings> Storage and Access> Access using USB> USB Mass Storage Mode

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 11:51 AM
    Settings> Storage and Access> Access using USB> USB Mass Storage Mode

Posted via CB10
    How is this going to help him with reading his media card with a reader.

Posted via CB10
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    03-17-15 12:03 PM
    You can either use your BlackBerry device as the transfer device and leave it encrypted. OR

Decrypt it, pull it out, transfer media, put it back on the device and re encrypt.

Those are your options.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 12:41 PM
    You can either use your BlackBerry device as the transfer device and leave it encrypted. OR

Decrypt it, pull it out, transfer media, put it back on the device and re encrypt.

Those are your options.

Posted via CB10
    This choice sounds easiest. Thanks everyone for your advice.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    03-17-15 03:15 PM
    How is this going to help him with reading his media card with a reader.

Posted via CB10
    Why using a card reader when you can mount the (encrypted) sd card as a normal external drive on your computer, just by using the USB Mass Storage feature?

And if one has more than 20GB data on a sd card, it would take at least one day to decrypt these data. Why all this hassle?

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    03-17-15 06:27 PM
    This choice sounds easiest. Thanks everyone for your advice.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    Wait, the second one seems easier to you?

In first place, how did you think there'd even be such universal thing? Prompting you to enter a password on your phone, on a PC, on an Android device, on whatever you may stick it in.. I mean, really?
    03-17-15 06:31 PM
    Wait, the second one seems easier to you?

In first place, how did you think there'd even be such universal thing? Prompting you to enter a password on your phone, on a PC, on an Android device, on whatever you may stick it in.. I mean, really?
    Agreed I've never seen this on an SD card, but there's an obvious reason why. If he has it in the phone, encrypted, and the phone gets wet or bricked or whatever all the data on it is gone. Obviously the answer is "always back up your data" but what percentage of folks do you imagine are backing up? Probably more do now with cloud backup options but that opens a whole other can of worms.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 10:37 PM
    Interestingly my SD card is the back-up and the original files are on my computer or the cabinet.

In other words: If we would have a fire alarm, I just grab my BlackBerry...heck, even my birth certificate is backed-up as a pdf on my BlackBerry.
    03-18-15 05:22 PM
    Interestingly my SD card is the back-up and the original files are on my computer or the cabinet.

In other words: If we would have a fire alarm, I just grab my BlackBerry...heck, even my birth certificate is backed-up as a pdf on my BlackBerry.
    I like you.
    03-18-15 05:56 PM

Good idea!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    03-18-15 07:22 PM
    A bit off topic but I've lost accessibility to some subfolders on my SD Card (usually pictures) I thought it was related to encryption but is happening again with an unencrypted 64 gb card. I'd love to use my PP as my main storage too rather than my PC but this causes consternation . Any thoughts? What can I do to solve this. In both cases the sub folder had 200 plus photos stored on it.

Sorry if this is too off topic.

Posted via my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-18-15 08:20 PM
    A bit off topic but I've lost accessibility to some subfolders on my SD Card (usually pictures) I thought it was related to encryption but is happening again with an unencrypted 64 gb card. I'd love to use my PP as my main storage too rather than my PC but this causes consternation . Any thoughts? What can I do to solve this. In both cases the sub folder had 200 plus photos stored on it.

Sorry if this is too off topic.

Posted via my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    Back up regularly. Sometimes SDcards go bad, and I had that happen to me a couple of times, backed up, reformatted. Finally, the card completely gave up and corrupted itself, apparently warranty case now... :-(

(SanDisk Ultra 64GB)

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    03-18-15 11:18 PM
    Back up regularly. Sometimes SDcards go bad, and I had that happen to me a couple of times, backed up, reformatted. Finally, the card completely gave up and corrupted itself, apparently warranty case now... :-(

(SanDisk Ultra 64GB)

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    I guess you have to backup the backup of the backup!!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    03-19-15 07:54 AM