I just got my Blackberry yesterday and I'm trying to figure out some very basic things that aren't covered in the manual.

I want to open jpg attachments from my e-mail, but one I select the attachment, I don't have an open or save option. I've gone into phone options>Advanced>Applications as instructed elsewhere on these boards and the BlackBerry Attachment Service is installed. Can someone help me with opening these attachments?

The other question I have is I would like my phone to ring when plugged in, but vibrate when it's not plugged in. The settings for rings seem to be quite basic compared to what I'm used to. I can't figure how to set a specific ring for messages vs. phone calls.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions after this.
    11-16-08 10:18 AM
    Attachment basics

About attachments

You can view several file attachment types on your BlackBerry� device, including .zip, .htm, .html, .doc, .dot, .ppt, .pdf, .wpd, .txt, .vcf,
    and .xls files. You can also view .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, .tif, and .wmf files, and play .wav files.

If you save an email message that contains an attachment that you have opened, the email message and the attachment are stored in the
    device memory until you delete the email message.

Open an attachment

Verify that your BlackBerry� device is associated with an email account that uses the BlackBerry� Internet Service or a BlackBerry�
    Enterprise Server that supports this feature. For more information, contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.
    1. In a message, click the trackball.
    2. Click Open Attachment.

3. If the message contains more than one attachment, on the Attachments screen, click an attachment. Click Retrieve.
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The Users Guide is quite complete and does cover attachment viewing.

Note that the trackball, not the Menu key, is used to open attachments.

Profiles is the used to manage your notifiers. There is no distinction between plugged in and unplugged, but it does distinguish between in holster and out of holster.
    11-16-08 10:39 AM
    "Open Attachment" isn't an option.
    This is an e-mail from my gmail account that I have set up.
    When I click the trackball my options are "Copy, Reply, Forward, Reply to All, Delete, Full Menu". When I click "Full Menu", my options are "Help, Find, Copy, Mark Unopened, Reply, Forward, Forward As, Reply to All, Delete, EMail (my name), MMs (my name), Show Address, Previous Item, Next Unopened Item, Add to Address Book, Switch Application, Close"

Another question I'm having is with the Facebook Application that was preloaded. I can login fine, but then when I try to open someone's profile it brings me back to a login page, where I can enter either my phone number or e-mail address. However, when I try put in my e-mail address, and hit the spaces for the "@" symbol or the "." it just leaves a space, so I can't login again. Has anyone else experienced this?
    11-16-08 11:04 AM

That is interesting, this is the menu I have when I press the trackball

This is the menu I have when I press Menu. I have Open Attachments here too.

when I try put in my e-mail address, and hit the spaces for the "@" symbol or the "." it just leaves a space, ...
    This one is a little simpler. The @ is ALT + P.

It is inserted with a space when the field is specific for email address.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-16-08 at 11:26 AM.
    11-16-08 11:18 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure why I can't open the e-mail attachments. I think I have the attachments application installed. I was able to get into facebook, I feel stupid not realizing that the @ symbol was above the P. The next thing I'm having difficulty with is installing the AIM application. When I select, "I accept" from the blackberry.com/aim application, it brings me to an "HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error"
    11-16-08 01:04 PM
    ...I feel stupid not realizing that the @ symbol was above the P. ...
    If you search way back to my rookie post, that was my first question too. Couldn't find the @.

Blame it on old eyes.

I wonder if you could be missing the Attachment Service.

Options / Advanced Options / Applications. Verify that it is installed.

If it is not, it is a simple matter to restore it.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-16-08 at 03:50 PM.
    11-16-08 03:48 PM
    Yeah, it's installed. I was able to view an excel spreadsheet (although I couldn't figure out how to zoom out so it wasn't very practical). I was trying to view a photo I sent to myself so that I could use it as my girlfriend's photo. I couldn't get that attachment to work, but I worked around it by getting the photo from facebook.
    11-16-08 04:21 PM
    Some more questions:

Is there a decent GPS application? I downloaded Google Maps, but that's not quite the same thing.

I just installed a new memory card. How do I tell how much space is left on the memory card?

How do I delete an application, or one of the random boxes (News, Sports, Weather, Etc), that appears when I open the browser?
    11-16-08 05:29 PM
    Some more questions:

Is there a decent GPS application? I downloaded Google Maps, but that's not quite the same thing.

I just installed a new memory card. How do I tell how much space is left on the memory card?

How do I delete an application, or one of the random boxes (News, Sports, Weather, Etc), that appears when I open the browser?
    1. GPS. Since I have Sprint, I have SprintNav. I'd verify your GPS is working with verizon. I've read some posts that it may be an optional service.

2. Menu>options>media card>should show total space and free space

3. Menu>options>advanced options>applications>scroll down to the application you don't want and hit the menu button, then delete. It may prompt you to reboot.

And.... welcome to CB!

Enjoy the addiction
    11-16-08 05:44 PM
    As far as GPS, it depends what you want. If you jsut want the maps with your location, use Google Maps. Note that it doesn't use GPS, though; it just triangulates your location based on nearby cell towers. If you want turn-by-turn voice navigation GPS (like those standalone Garmin units in cars), you need to buy VZNav for $7 a month.
    11-16-08 07:14 PM
    As far as GPS, it depends what you want. If you jsut want the maps with your location, use Google Maps. Note that it doesn't use GPS, though; it just triangulates your location based on nearby cell towers. If you want turn-by-turn voice navigation GPS (like those standalone Garmin units in cars), you need to buy VZNav for $7 a month.
    Thanks for all your advice everyone. I downloaded google maps, so that should suffice in a pinch. The girlfriend has a garmin so I can always steal that from her if need be.

Now if I can only get the stupid protective case to stay shut...
    11-16-08 10:18 PM
    A few more questions:

I have the "unlimited" data plan for $29.95 a month. Does this include unlimited AIM messages, or will I be saddled with the 20 cents per message using the BB Mobile AIM?

Also, is there a way to show HTML on e-mails or on the browser?
    11-18-08 08:06 PM
    IMs other than BBM use messages.

You mean HTML email? You must upgrade to OS 4.5 for that.
    11-18-08 08:09 PM
    IMs other than BBM use messages.

You mean HTML email? You must upgrade to OS 4.5 for that.
    what do you mean "IMs other than BBM use messages"? Am i being charged per message for AIM?

Also, how would I go about upgrading to OS 4.5?
    11-18-08 09:17 PM
    Yes, unless you have a message package.

You can follow the sticky at the top of the 83xx forum.
    11-18-08 09:20 PM
    I tried installing OS 4.5 based on the instructions on here. I used the USB transfer cable to install it, but was wondering if there was a way to do the installation on the blackberry directly (8330 Curve).

Additionally, I've recorded a few notes. I wanted to use one as my phone ring tone, and the other as my message ring tone. It seems that I can only assign one of these as a phone ring tone. Is there an easy way to record ring tones (or receive MP3s that can be used as ring tones)?
    11-23-08 08:44 AM
    The web browser seems to have disappeared from my phone. I still see it under Options > Advanced Options, but the icon seems to have disappeared. Can anyone help me get it back?
    12-31-08 11:56 AM
    The web browser seems to have disappeared from my phone. I still see it under Options > Advanced Options, but the icon seems to have disappeared. Can anyone help me get it back?
    Press the Menu key, with your icons showing, press the Menu key again. Do you have the Show All option? If you do, some icons have been hidden. Select Show All and hidden icons will be there again.
    12-31-08 12:20 PM
    Press the Menu key, with your icons showing, press the Menu key again. Do you have the Show All option? If you do, some icons have been hidden. Select Show All and hidden icons will be there again.

It still does not appear to be there, even ghosted. The logo for the browser was the earth, right? I don't see anything anymore that brings up the word Browser, even when I scroll over the hidden icons.
    12-31-08 01:08 PM
    After you upgraded the OS did you register it with the network and resend service books?
    12-31-08 01:27 PM
    After you upgraded the OS did you register it with the network and resend service books?
    I was never able to successfully upgrade the OS. I can access the browser by hitting the menu screen twice, and then going to "Switch Application" and pulling up the browser that way. However, the Blackberry home page has been deleted from bookmarks. When I try to access a page it says, "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device." I'm not sure if I used the browser during the week, but I know I used it this weekend.

Edit: I found this on the Blackberry site, tried the workaround, and it still isn't working:
    View Document

I believe I have version 4.3, but I'm not sure how to check that.
    Last edited by RSoxNo1; 12-31-08 at 01:51 PM.
    12-31-08 01:39 PM
    Upgrade to 4.5.0.77 at the very least, it's the latest official VZW OS.

You can resend service books by doing Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > press Menu key, select Register, OK
    12-31-08 02:00 PM
    Upgrade to 4.5.0.77 at the very least, it's the latest official VZW OS.

You can resend service books by doing Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > press Menu key, select Register, OK
    there are several things that I can register, is there a specific item that I should register (example Verizon [240] is the top item.

What's the quickest way to upgrade?

I tried using the tool that allowed me to download the software to my laptop, and plug my blackberry into my laptop, but that failed in the past.

EDIT: Not sure which item it was that I registered, but the browser is back. I'll try upgrading the OS tonight. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Last edited by RSoxNo1; 12-31-08 at 03:02 PM.
    12-31-08 02:44 PM
    VZW Nav for 7$ a month????? wat u smokin? i pay 10!
    12-31-08 03:55 PM
    there are several things that I can register, is there a specific item that I should register (example Verizon [240] is the top item.

EDIT: Not sure which item it was that I registered, but the browser is back. I'll try upgrading the OS tonight. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Doesn't matter, it sends/reregisters everything.

Glad to hear you got your icon back.
    12-31-08 04:02 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD