Hello everyone. I have a new blackberry passport. In fact I am new to the smartphone age I must sheepishly admit.

I am only used to either internet explorer or even better with, the firefox. Can I download this on my passport please? I figured out the site on blackberry. When I try to download it, it says something about putting it into some white basket.

I understand that several applications I need, might be on google play. However I don't have this store on my passport. How do I put a store on my blackberry please.

I also would like to remove bing that seems to have made itself my search engine. It is the most unhelpful and muddled up search engine I have come across, I would like my search engine to be google. How can I get that to work for me on my passport please.

My abject and unreserved apologies for several questions. I am honestly lost. I am doing my best to learn but most of the instructions I find around, don't seem to work for me as my passport keeps sending out error messages of one kind or the other.

Thanks in advance
    02-18-15 11:24 AM
    Try to use the stock browser: it's easy and powerful. To change the search engine just open the browser and start typing. On the top right corner you can see the B that identifies the "Bing" search. Tap it and from the menu choose google ;-)
    If you want to use the firefox browser,you can (I'm pretty sure). You just have to search on google 'firefox apk' and download the apk file. When the download it's done,just tap it and install.
    As for other stores you can install the amazon store, aptoide and so on..

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-app...UvbUpU11364541

Download,wait for the download to finish and tap on the file you just downloaded: it will install ;-)

Or, but it's a bit harder, you can install SNAP: it is a google play store client ;-) You can search the forum for a guide.
    Take notice that even if you can almost every android app on a BlackBerry, you won't be able to install the Google Play Services that you will sometimes need for certains apps(you 'can' but it is a hard procedure). Being said that, Spotify, Viber, Clash of Clans and a lot others works fine!

Posted via CB10
    bbpassportnewbie likes this.
    02-18-15 11:57 AM
    Hi Thank you. I think I have given up on changing the search engine, I worked my way round it (at least for the time being) by putting google as my home page, So when my "browser" opens, it opens google.co.uk. I will however try to change it as some of you have advised me on this forum.

As for downloading firefox, I am automatically being taken to google play. Then I receive error messages of all sorts. It asks me to log into gmail and then after logging in, it keeps saying that I have not added it to basket. It has been very frustrating. I have however used your advise and searched for firefox on google, avoided google play link and downloaded it from another site. Thanks for helping with firefox download.

However any download got to do with google play store is becoming a task. How to handle this googlestore please. How do I download anything at all from google play store. Is there an app for google playstore itself? I understand that snap and google play store is the same. How do i go about downloading snap or google playstore app please?

In the middle of all this, I feel that blackberry passport warms up pretty fast. It is not hot but it is most certainly warming up. I hope this is not an issue because after all these downloads and playing about, I don't think it will be accepted back, in the event of a fault.

Viber refuses to download, it says that this device does not accept it.

But I will keep trying. This is my first day with blackberry. I am sure with all the guidance here, I will manage at least the basics. Thanks again
    02-18-15 02:38 PM
    If you are rocking the passport the amazon app store will be installed on your phone. As for the apk file for Viber you need to allow your phone to. Install apps from third party vendors. Go into settings tap app manager then tap installing apps, turn on permissions to allow apps from other sources, you should be good to go.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 03:30 PM
    App Manager > Installing Apps > Allow other sources

Then download : https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla....android/multi/
    02-18-15 03:53 PM
    Google playstore requires some reading first, do a search here in the forums first

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2267
    02-18-15 03:59 PM
    Thanks all. I have managed to change the search engine to google (I think). I have also got firefox running. As you have advised, I have "allowed" other installations. I am about to try to download viber, again. And yes, I am talking about blackberry passport. I don't even have a helpline to call a friend! No one has even heard about this wonderful article before. Anyway I intend to like it and keep it.
    02-18-15 04:00 PM
    I have managed to learn to bypass google playstore and download the apps I need, for the time being. I will eventually learn the more complicated ways of downloading apps. You might not believe it, until a few months ago, I never knew what "app" even meant! Considering that I think I have done well, downloading a lot of applications that would be useful for me. Thanks again for the tips and tricks.

Now I must do a little bit of surfing around the forum and learn about hot spot whatever that means, apparently it is helpful.
    02-18-15 04:35 PM
    "Hotspot" is allowing other devices (pc,other phones,tablet,etc.) to connect to the internet through your BlackBerry Passport. Essentially you share your mobile connection with other devices and your phone will 'look like' a wifi router.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 06:20 PM
    Google playstore requires some reading first, do a search here in the forums first

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2267
    Thank you

I had a look at this much viewed thread. It is very random and jargonistic, I couldn't make head and tail of the instructions. I would have much prefered a thread that offered instructions in layperson's language, with the help of screenshots and use of a flowchart.

However I found some youtube links, I must research them and study how to do that from the youtube links.
    02-19-15 08:58 AM
    Thank you

I had a look at this much viewed thread. It is very random and jargonistic, I couldn't make head and tail of the instructions. I would have much prefered a thread that offered instructions in layperson's language, with the help of screenshots and use of a flowchart.

However I found some youtube links, I must research them and study how to do that from the youtube links.
    You better install/sideload snap.
    You'll need:
    - a miniusb- usb cable (the one you use for charging your phone)
    - a pc with windows 7-8
    - google chrome
    - the google chrome BB10 app manager. Download it to your pc,from here:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ljnelbpblnikkp
    Install it after installing chrome.

- the snap installation file. Download it to your pc, here's the link:
    http://redlightoflove.com/snap/

- pick up your passport. Swipe from the top -> settings -> protection and privacy-> Development mode-> turn it on(you'll need to set up a password).
    - connect your passport to your pc with the cable. If it asks for password, close the tab.
    - open chrome, in the top right corner you'll see a BlackBerry logo. Click on it.
    - write the same ip address you found into the dev. mode screen on your Passport
    - connect using the password.
    - on the right, click install and choose the bar file of snap. Install.
    - log out.
    - detach the cable, disable the dev mode.

You have snap,aka google play on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 09:57 AM
    Wow, thank you! I am in the process of doing this. I have never used chrome. So I have downloaded it. I have reached here "- write the same ip address you found into the dev. mode screen on your Passport
    - connect using the password.
    - on the right, click install and choose the bar file of snap. Install.
    - log out.
    - detach the cable, disable the dev mode.

You have snap,aka google play on your phone." and then got stuck because as soon as I connected my blackberry to my PC, I can see my phone showing up something called blackberry blend installation. I have agreed to that and am in the middle of installation at the moment.

In the meanwhile, I also tried to follow a video that I can see on your link. But the woman in the video appears to have skipped several steps. To begin with, she does not say how to find out or installor or where to click to install this app, playbook . She also uses words like "plugin". Is that supposed to mean something and whether I must do things differently I don't know. She seemed to skip several steps and I got lost somewhere and abadoned that journey to install snap. Videos, if it is the intention to actually help, must be created under the assumption that viewers really don't know much about this. Now I am following your instructions. the reason i mention this is because I think because of this woman's instructions I think my installations have all gone wrong as I keep receiving blank pages on my Chrome.

I will take away everything, remove all downloads and re-start and be right back with updates.
    02-19-15 12:09 PM
    How do I install browsers and other applications on the BlackBerry Passport?-bb.png Ok, I think I am stuck here because I cannot see any "snap" files. I checked my computer too, cannot find the blackberry even though it is connected and switched on. Am I missing something? Thank you for helping me.
    02-19-15 01:25 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	334834 Ok, I think I am stuck here because I cannot see any "snap" files. I checked my computer too, cannot find the blackberry even though it is connected and switched on. Am I missing something? Thank you for helping me.
    Ok there you go! If you have downloaded snap (it is a ".BAR" file,it is not a "SNAP" file), select it from where you have downloaded it and proceed to the install!

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 04:06 AM