My BlackBerry Tour has Google Maps on it but I can't get better accuracy than 5,000 meters with My Location... Totally useless!! Even BlackBerry Map zooms in to within 10 meters using its Navigation feature, but it doesn't offer satellite imagery. I need satellite imagery because I live in a rural area, and typical road maps just show a blank screen unless I zoom out to a huge scale.. Imagery lets me see rural and mountainous roads and streams. Is there any way to make Google Maps more accurate?
    09-20-10 02:40 PM
    Which device are you using? Do you have GPS enabled?
    09-20-10 02:46 PM
    Which device are you using? Do you have GPS enabled?
    I was thinking the same thing about the GPS being enabled... typically Google Maps is about 5ft off when you have GPS on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 02:47 PM
    I was thinking the same thing about the GPS being enabled... typically Google Maps is about 5ft off when you have GPS on.

Exactly, it just about pinpoint where you're standing.
    09-20-10 02:49 PM
    My Tour has GPS Date Source set to Device GPS, GPS Services turned to Location On, Location Data is Enabled, and Location Aiding is Enabled. I know the GPS works well because BlackBerry Map does a great job locating me down to the several meters...it just doesn't show me satellite imagery or I would use instead of Google Maps.
    09-20-10 03:02 PM
    If BB Maps is working to within 10m, then GPS sounds like its enabled. Sounds like maybe the app didn't get the correct permissions. I would try uninstalling GMaps and reinstalling it, accepting all permission changes.

Could this be part of VZW's disabling of 3rd party apps to the gps? I thought they stopped doing that...
    09-20-10 03:02 PM
    If BB Maps is working to within 10m, then GPS sounds like its enabled. Sounds like maybe the app didn't get the correct permissions. I would try uninstalling GMaps and reinstalling it, accepting all permission changes.

Could this be part of VZW's disabling of 3rd party apps to the gps? I thought they stopped doing that...
    I tried Garmin and GMaps on my Tour and there were both spot on.
    09-20-10 03:07 PM

you are correct, but they could have the permission on the Google Maps set to not allow the program to talk to the GPS, it might be set to "on" but it might not be working with the Google Maps applications

09-20-10 03:26 PM
    Just because nobody mentioned it yet, remember you will almost never get a GPS lock indoors...
    09-20-10 03:29 PM
    My Tour has GPS Date Source set to Device GPS, GPS Services turned to Location On, Location Data is Enabled, and Location Aiding is Enabled. I know the GPS works well because BlackBerry Map does a great job locating me down to the several meters...it just doesn't show me satellite imagery or I would use instead of Google Maps.
    09-20-10 03:33 PM
    Hmmm... tried deleting Google Maps and reloading it. No change. Its not a VZ issue, I am using Alltel. Even outdoors where I can see the sky, it says My Location is within 5,000 meters and nothing I do helps. BB Map still works well.
    09-20-10 03:35 PM
    Does Alltel have a Nav app that they want you to use? At least one other regional carrier recently started blocking the GPS for all but their subscription app. Verizon doesn't do that anymore, but others still do.
    09-20-10 04:39 PM
    Jeff, you were right on! Alltel will only turn on the GPS for Google Maps if I subscribe to their Navigation Package, for which they want $9.95 per month. Maybe a good thing AT&T is buying out Alltel in my state this fall.
    09-20-10 05:12 PM
    Some people use an external bluetooth-enabled GPS unit. Might be an option worth looking into...
    09-20-10 05:26 PM
    Jeff, you were right on! Alltel will only turn on the GPS for Google Maps if I subscribe to their Navigation Package, for which they want $9.95 per month. Maybe a good thing AT&T is buying out Alltel in my state this fall.
    Some people use an external bluetooth-enabled GPS unit. Might be an option worth looking into...
    I used a Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS puck via Bluetooth before Verizon opened up the GPS in my 8830. It worked reasonably well. You may find that AT&T blocks BBMaps. There is a work-around for their block, however. Verizon blocked the GPS much more effectively and we never were able to get around it.
    09-20-10 05:49 PM
    I used a Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS puck via Bluetooth before Verizon opened up the GPS in my 8830. It worked reasonably well. You may find that AT&T blocks BBMaps. There is a work-around for their block, however. Verizon blocked the GPS much more effectively and we never were able to get around it.
    It looks like it's not blocked by a VendorID /i'm sured that has been thought of before/.... i wonder how the did block it so well.

09-20-10 05:53 PM
    It looks like it's not blocked by a VendorID /i'm sured that has been thought of before/.... i wonder how the did block it so well.

You are correct; Verizon did not block using VendorID. The GPS chip in the 8330 and 8830 only operated in Assisted GPS mode. Verizon simply did not transmit the enabling code. That was an undefeatable block from a user's point of view. A developer could have hard-coded the info into their app, but obviously Google wouldn't do that. One individual developer did demonstrate that work-around, but of course he could not patch Google Maps on someone else's BlackBerry. If you look in the 8830 forum, there is a 60+ page thread on the subject. I'm mobile and can't look it up at the moment.

09-20-10 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD