I work between Nigeria and the UK. One of my 10 email addresses on my 9800 has been changed by my UK based hosting company to IMAP. I always understood IMAP to work better with BB's than POP3 as such I changed my email domain to IMAP.

I did this whilst in Nigeria, I changed my email settings on my BB, through setup all it asks is for my email address and password (after deleting the old POP3 account), lo and behold BIS finds the new settings, restores my mailbox to my BB BUT only as POP3, so 'activation email' appears and it allows me send emails from my BB but doesn't recieve emails to the handset and neither are the emails sent from the handset registering on my IMAP email on my computer.

Can anyone tell me how I can manually get my BB Handset to recognise or change to email settings to IMAP.

Thanks in advance
    10-19-11 03:26 PM
    I work between Nigeria and the UK. One of my 10 email addresses on my 9800 has been changed by my UK based hosting company to IMAP. I always understood IMAP to work better with BB's than POP3 as such I changed my email domain to IMAP.

I did this whilst in Nigeria, I changed my email settings on my BB, through setup all it asks is for my email address and password (after deleting the old POP3 account), lo and behold BIS finds the new settings, restores my mailbox to my BB BUT only as POP3, so 'activation email' appears and it allows me send emails from my BB but doesn't recieve emails to the handset and neither are the emails sent from the handset registering on my IMAP email on my computer.

Can anyone tell me how I can manually get my BB Handset to recognise or change to email settings to IMAP.

Thanks in advance
    If your email is gmail then it is very easy where you can log into gmail on the web from your PC and simply change the setting from POP3 to IMAP.

If you don't have gmail you might want to consider changing to all gmail so you cna set it up for IMAP from the start and it works grteat, syncs and pushes to your device(S) almost immediatly.
    10-19-11 06:26 PM
    Just keep in mind that you won't get the IMAP folders on your BB. So, for example, if you have folders in your email accunt titled Important, Saved etc, you can't view these on the device (unless you view your email account in the web browser). The BB will only draw in your incoming mail.
    10-19-11 07:02 PM
    Thank you for your prompt responses, however,
    I do have a gmail email account which previously was syncing with BB and the gmail(webmail) but a recent upgrade by gmail I believe and this syncronisation has since stopped (and I have settings as IMAP on gmail account)

secondly my POP3 email which I have sinced changed to IMAP is not an gmail but rather it's a [email protected] type email. All the outgoing and incoming settings are IMAP on my computer but BB forces these to be POP3. Is there no way I can change these to IMAP on the BB?

Thanks again for helping out
    10-19-11 07:09 PM
    Just keep in mind that you won't get the IMAP folders on your BB. So, for example, if you have folders in your email accunt titled Important, Saved etc, you can't view these on the device (unless you view your email account in the web browser). The BB will only draw in your incoming mail.
    Thank you Laura for the assist, I did fail to mention that as I was thinking about the easy way to get the IMAP he was looking for.
    10-19-11 07:10 PM
    Here's what do do:
    1 delete your email account from your blackberry
    2 go to email set up, click on set up another account
    3 select other
    4 type in your email address and type something random in the password box, NOT your password
    4 wait untill you get the warning that the email and password is invalid
    5 click ok on the waring and you will be back to the setup page where the email and passward box is
    6 you will now see a blue link underneeth the password "I will provide the settings"

Done

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ozoro likes this.
    10-20-11 01:36 AM
    IMAP on blackberry is not full imap but there are some advantages to POP if you have your own hosted email

1 if your email provider supports imap idle your email will be instant push

2 read and deleted emails from your blackberry will sync instantly to your Outlook(not the other way around though)

3 sent emails from your blackberry will instantly show in Outlook "sent items" folder

4 if one email account is set up on 2 blackberrys a sent email from one blackberry will also show on the other blackberry and vice versa

As you see, not full imap but way better then pop3

Ozoro likes this.
    10-20-11 01:41 AM
    Thnak you all for the informationn, special thanks to Belastdispatcher, it works perfectly, was so easy (when you know how)

My gmail account isn't syncing as well between the BB handset, my web gmail or my gmail on outlook, should I do something similar, or should I just delete the gmail account from my handset and use the BB's 'prompted' entry to re-install the gmail account.

You guys are the 'bomb'
    10-20-11 03:49 AM
    Thnak you all for the informationn, special thanks to Belastdispatcher, it works perfectly, was so easy (when you know how)

My gmail account isn't syncing as well between the BB handset, my web gmail or my gmail on outlook, should I do something similar, or should I just delete the gmail account from my handset and use the BB's 'prompted' entry to re-install the gmail account.

You guys are the 'bomb'

I wouldn't bother, just use the Desktop Manager to sync your info to Outlook and use Protect to back up for restoring ota if ever needed.

Ozoro likes this.
    10-20-11 03:57 AM
    Thank you all very much, this forum is invaluable.
    10-20-11 01:51 PM
    Can anyone help explain the options that go along with IMAP settings in gmail....dont know which ones would be best for me...thanks in advance!
    10-20-11 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD