I have a BB Curve 8520. How to change the default search engine to Google.com.

I can change the default search engine in Web2Go but not in browser, but I use browser not Web2Go most of the time.

Can the community advise? Thanks.
    05-14-10 06:07 PM
    Open the browser > press menu > options > browser configuration > Default Service
    Provider. That's how it works on the 9700.

You could also download and install a dedicated Google launcher here:
    Blackberry Launchers
    05-14-10 06:24 PM
    You can also install the Google search app (not a launcher).

Go to m.google.com from your browser and click the "more" link on the homepage.
    itsjess likes this.
    05-14-10 06:43 PM
    I have a BB Curve 8520. How to change the default search engine to Google.com.

I can change the default search engine in Web2Go but not in browser, but I use browser not Web2Go most of the time.

Can the community advise? Thanks.
    Here is a Screen Capture of where you can change the setting to have "Google" as default option:

05-14-10 07:11 PM
    As a follow up question to this, I have a 8530 and it only lists one option (Bing) under the drop down list for default search provider. I'm also using Internet browser as my browser.
    09-15-10 08:47 AM
    As a follow up question to this, I have a 8530 and it only lists one option (Bing) under the drop down list for default search provider. I'm also using Internet browser as my browser.
    That's because you're with Verizon. Unfortunately you're stuck with Bing only on the newer BBs from Verizon. Sorry.
    09-16-10 01:00 AM
    It's the only thing I hate about my work issued 9650.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 06:07 AM
    That's because you're with Verizon. Unfortunately you're stuck with Bing only on the newer BBs from Verizon. Sorry.
    It's the only thing I hate about my work issued 9650.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Do you folks have Quicklaunch installed? If so, one of the "apps" built in to it you can set a shortcut to is Web Search (similar to how it was described above). I have Web Search set to Google by default.

So for me, if I want to do a search, I hit my space bar to access QL then hit my shortcut for Websearch (I use "g"). Then I get a dialog window to enter my search (not a full browser...just a quick little window). Then I hit return and my full google search results are displayed.

So, again, for me, the keypresses are:

[space] G [search terms] return

That's quick and dirty in my book....
    09-16-10 08:12 AM
    It's a no-go for me. I'm on BES. No app loading allowed...
    09-22-10 11:11 AM
    It's a no-go for me. I'm on BES. No app loading allowed...
    You could always set the home page to m.google.com as a work around, then open to home page (instead of start page).
    09-22-10 11:15 AM
    i'm trying to find out the reason why i don't even have the option of selecting Internet Browser vs Hotspot Browser.

I also don't have the option of choosing Default Search Provider cuz it doesn't even exist! My phone is T-Mobile and with WIND network on Blackberry 9700.

Please help!! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    09-22-10 12:43 PM
    i'm trying to find out the reason why i don't even have the option of selecting Internet Browser vs Hotspot Browser.

I also don't have the option of choosing Default Search Provider cuz it doesn't even exist! My phone is T-Mobile and with WIND network on Blackberry 9700.

Please help!! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    09-22-10 12:45 PM
    Here is a Screen Capture of where you can change the setting to have "Google" as default option:

Any way to add more search engines to the list?

That would be nifty to have.

Do you folks have Quicklaunch installed? If so, one of the "apps" built in to it you can set a shortcut to is Web Search
    Yes, that is the best alternative solution so far. There is a decent size list of search engines to choose from as well. Admittedly, I was rarely using this. I think I am going to use it a lot more now.
    Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 10-17-10 at 12:39 AM.
    10-17-10 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD