If I go to options>applications>delete, I can delete an app. But if I reboot and then reinstall the app, it still returns to the same spot on the BB (not my download folder) suggesting it was not entirely deleted. Is there a way to delete it so that the new install is completely new?
    01-28-11 10:31 AM
    That's in the settings for the theme. The only way to reset that is to clear your theme settings database using Desktop Manager. Doing this will reset all your icon placements though.
    01-28-11 11:02 AM
    If a program needs reinstalling, then that piece of information left in the theme will not affect a reinstall? Is that a safe assumption?
    01-28-11 11:50 AM
    Exactly! There's nothing to worry about... It's just in the theme settings, if you would switch themes then that app would end up in your downloads folder.
    pvdiamon likes this.
    01-28-11 11:55 AM
    I noticed this too...that's why whenever I uninstalled the app I always cleared out the RMS database and Application Permissions database. I didn't have a lot of apps so going back and redoing app permissions wasn't a hassle. I noticed that even with uninstalls, app permissions for the app never disappeared, neither did the RMS database. I think clearing these helped. But I was also a bit "OCD" with my BlackBerry...never liked having junk in there.
    01-28-11 05:26 PM
    I noticed this too...that's why whenever I uninstalled the app I always cleared out the RMS database and Application Permissions database. I didn't have a lot of apps so going back and redoing app permissions wasn't a hassle. I noticed that even with uninstalls, app permissions for the app never disappeared, neither did the RMS database. I think clearing these helped. But I was also a bit "OCD" with my BlackBerry...never liked having junk in there.
    I am confused as to what phone you have now that you are giving advice about? Your own BB or your new iphone 4?? Just wondering.
    01-28-11 06:16 PM
    That's in the settings for the theme. The only way to reset that is to clear your theme settings database using Desktop Manager. Doing this will reset all your icon placements though.
    This is very good and correct info and if you really wanted to go one step further although the .cod files should be deleted with the app you could hook up you BB to BBSAK and read the device, go to the .cod files and make sure they were also deleted and if not get rid of them as well.

I have done what you have done only to find a few leftover .cod files on my device that I removed.
    01-28-11 06:19 PM
    Every once in a while (I update my OS quite often) when I install a new OS is use the process below:

1. Backup phone using DM
    2. Backup apps using BBSAK
    3. When I install the OS I choose the option to not have it backup any data or apps
    4. When it's done I have a basically stock, right out of the box, phone
    5. I then restore only the apps that I want
    6. Then do a selective restore in DM, only do the databases I need (contacts, calendar, wifi settings, memos, tasks, etc)

This process clears out any residual data and information on the phone because in the process of the OS install it wipes the phone. This is usually quite noticeable by the large increase in memory.
    pdl2mtl90 likes this.
    01-28-11 06:46 PM
    Whenever I delete apps I have downloaded from bb app world, I go into Files/File Folders/Media Card/Blackberry/App World/downloads/your pin#. This will list everything you currently are using from app world and almost always, will show residual cod files left over from apps you have deleted. I always delete all the left overs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jaguarr40 and pdl2mtl90 like this.
    01-28-11 08:30 PM
    Whenever I delete apps I have downloaded from bb app world, I go into Files/File Folders/Media Card/Blackberry/App World/downloads/your pin#. This will list everything you currently are using from app world and almost always, will show residual cod files left over from apps you have deleted. I always delete all the left overs.

I actually just looked at that path and you are right so I learned something to keep in the back of my head for future use. I notice too that it had Vlingo listed in there 3 times?? I wonder why as it seems every install writes seperate on an update anddoes not overwrite the previous. I wonder if I should delete them all and jusr reinstall one? What do you think albee?
    01-29-11 07:32 AM
    Yes Jag, I would do just that. If you try to delete the other 2 copies it will be hard to be sure your not trashing your current one. You could try going to bb app world first. Then login to My World page. After it composes your list you can type r s t. This will refresh your list and hopefully drag out the dupes. Let me know how it goes. Oh and it will close shortly after doing this. Fyi

Last edited by albee 1; 01-29-11 at 09:10 AM.
    01-29-11 09:03 AM
    Yes Jag, I would do just that. If you try to delete the other 2 copies it will be hard to be sure your not trashing your current one. You could try going to bb app world first. Then login to My World page. After it composes your list you can type r s t. This will refresh your list and hopefully drag out the dupes. Let me know how it goes. Oh and it will close shortly after doing this. Fyi

albee... Hey bud Just to tell you that I always DO hold down the alt and hit
    r s t in My World after I do an OS upgrade which I did last week to 5.0.0.975 and then resign in and of course it DID refresh my list. I went back to the path and actually in is Vlingo by itself and Vlingo Voice app but only Vlingo voice app is in app world as one of My World apps. Any thoughts on your part.
    01-29-11 01:31 PM
    So your saying the app with all the extra cod's isn't from app world?

01-29-11 02:14 PM
    I am confused as to what phone you have now that you are giving advice about? Your own BB or your new iphone 4?? Just wondering.
    My old 8900. As far as I know, I can't do anything with my iPhone in terms of clearing out "databases" (LOL)
    01-29-11 03:39 PM
    My old 8900. As far as I know, I can't do anything with my iPhone in terms of clearing out "databases" (LOL)
    Nothing personal but I still dont get where you are going with this thread and your iphone if you no longer own a BB. I just dont get it... Sorry!
    01-29-11 07:54 PM
    So your saying the app with all the extra cod's isn't from app world?

It must not be because although it is listed as just Vlingo in the folders path but in app world in My World it is listed as Vlingo Voice App.

So I have 2 apps in the folder list with the above 2 names but only one in APP WORLD as I said called: Vlingo Voice App.

Hope there clears it for you
    01-29-11 07:55 PM
    Jag, there's a great thread on removing cod's using BBsak. if you would like me to post it for you. You should be able to hand pick anything undesirable out of your bb including everything and anything you deem useless. I'll scrounge it up, just let me know.

01-29-11 09:52 PM
    Jag, there's a great thread on removing cod's using BBsak. if you would like me to post it for you. You should be able to hand pick anything undesirable out of your bb including everything and anything you deem useless. I'll scrounge it up, just let me know.

albee I appreciate the efforts, I know how to use BBSAK to remove cods as I used it to remove the pesky Google email add on that I did not like the enhanced plugin and turn my email box back to normal...LOL

Anyway I thing I will just delete them both at least the one and see what happens. After that depending on what happens I will either be good to go or remove the other and do a clean install again from app world.

I will let you know what happens and thank you again.
    01-30-11 07:19 AM
    Sounds like you know what your doing Jag, like I was saying earlier it's hard to tell which installs cod's are whose but at least it's not a tragedy if you axe the wrong ones. You have a 50-50 chance. And when your done either way you will have learned something useful. Keep me posted pal.

01-30-11 09:31 AM
    Sounds like you know what your doing Jag, like I was saying earlier it's hard to tell which installs cod's are whose but at least it's not a tragedy if you axe the wrong ones. You have a 50-50 chance. And when your done either way you will have learned something useful. Keep me posted pal.

OK albee how is what I wound up doing. I went to the folders path for app world to my pin and opened up everything listed on my device in app world. I deleted only the app called "VLINGO" and left the app called "Vlingo Voice App" which is what it is called in MY World of app world(WHEW) I know huh...

Ok then I rebooted my device and also reopened app world and did the r s t reset for My World and of course it shut down and when I reopend it everything was still there and just renewed as it was. I then tried the Vlingo app on my device and everything worked perfect. I hooked it up to BBSAK and only one set of .cods for Vlingo Voice App only.

I think what happened was the Vlingo use to be called by that name and when they changed it in app world and I got a notification of an update it installed the new named one and so I had 2 redundant apps in the folder and one had to be removed although it was not hurting anything. So all is well and now you know as much as I know and just think, You let me be the tester, Thanks buddy, glad it worked ok. Thank you for your help and concern and stay in touch.
    01-30-11 12:09 PM
    Yup, sounds like after they renamed it, it was labeled a different version. Thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate more knowledge concerning this little Pandora's box. See you in the forums Jag!

01-30-11 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD