Heyyy...

So since my bday's coming up, I want to get myself a new BlackBerry soon. I'm thinking about either the Bold or the Javelin. I have an AT&T account, so while the Bold would seem like the obvious choice, of course there is always the option of getting an unlocked Javelin.

But how do the two pit against each other? I recently upgraded from the Pearl to the Curve 8330 on Verizon, and had an iPhone on AT&T (that'll get me lots of hate mail from here, won't it?), but (cue sigh of relief from Crackberry readers) - I now want to switch to the Bold or Javelin.

I hear Bold is kind of bulky, very "for the guys" and very business-centric, still I find myself leaning towards it more than Javelin, I guess cuz it will be easier for me since it's already on my network. Contrastingly, I've heard that the Javelin is slimmer than the original Curve, sexier, and a fair balance between business-savvy and consumer-focused.

So, to stop babbling on: WHICH DO YOU PREFER? BOLD OR JAVELIN? Why?
    04-03-09 11:23 PM
    Get the Bold. It has the fastest processor of any BlackBerry out there.
    04-03-09 11:30 PM
    Heyyy...

So since my bday's coming up, I want to get myself a new BlackBerry soon. I'm thinking about either the Bold or the Javelin. I have an AT&T account, so while the Bold would seem like the obvious choice, of course there is always the option of getting an unlocked Javelin.

But how do the two pit against each other? I recently upgraded from the Pearl to the Curve 8330 on Verizon, and had an iPhone on AT&T (that'll get me lots of hate mail from here, won't it?), but (cue sigh of relief from Crackberry readers) - I now want to switch to the Bold or Javelin.

I hear Bold is kind of bulky, very "for the guys" and very business-centric, still I find myself leaning towards it more than Javelin, I guess cuz it will be easier for me since it's already on my network. Contrastingly, I've heard that the Javelin is slimmer than the original Curve, sexier, and a fair balance between business-savvy and consumer-focused.

Phone Scoop and click on the "phones" link on the left. It will let you choose phones for a side by side comparison. I used it to decide between the Bold and the Iphone. Got the Bold. Phenomenal device. ATT pi$$ed me off so I went to VZW and got the Storm. Wish I could use Bold on VZW and I would be the happiest person alive.
    04-03-09 11:30 PM
    Just get the Bold
    04-04-09 01:05 AM
    Recommended Javelin 8900. Why? Its Design, memory, camera, plus also has wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 06:41 AM
    The Bold is the best choice by far, phone hardware wise. The problem is that At&t sucks. They have already disabled blackberry maps it seems, something Verizon used to be know for. The 3G network is horrible compared to Verizon. I was at the 1st round NCAA tournament trying to use the Bold online, it took forever to load some pages and would not load some at all, even with all bars and full 3g signal. Meanwhile, the guy next to me was surfing all game long like normal with his Verizon 8330. Dropped calls are still a big problem with AT&T. The texting plans are out of touch/price wise. $5 for 200 or $15 for 1500. Verizon is $5 for 250 or $10 for 500 messages + unlimited in network messaging, do the math on that.
    On the other hand, as far as I know, the javelin is not 3g, only wi-fi and edge.
    Best bet, look at the upcoming Niagra for Verizon, it is somewhat of an "updated" Bold for Verizon in a slightly smaller package. The phone will only be as good as the network it is on.
    04-04-09 07:08 AM
    The Bold is the best choice by far, phone hardware wise. The problem is that At&t sucks. They have already disabled blackberry maps it seems, something Verizon used to be know for. The 3G network is horrible compared to Verizon. I was at the 1st round NCAA tournament trying to use the Bold online, it took forever to load some pages and would not load some at all, even with all bars and full 3g signal. Meanwhile, the guy next to me was surfing all game long like normal with his Verizon 8330. Dropped calls are still a big problem with AT&T. The texting plans are out of touch/price wise. $5 for 200 or $15 for 1500. Verizon is $5 for 250 or $10 for 500 messages + unlimited in network messaging, do the math on that.
    On the other hand, as far as I know, the javelin is not 3g, only wi-fi and edge.
    Best bet, look at the upcoming Niagra for Verizon, it is somewhat of an "updated" Bold for Verizon in a slightly smaller package. The phone will only be as good as the network it is on.
    aaagh wrong on so many levels
    RIM disabled Blackberry maps not ATT do a search a user posted the email from ATT saying this in plain english
    same old tired its the network nonsense from VZW users...everybody on VZW used to own a Bold or used to be on ATT....bla bla bla
    ATT has the fastest 3G network in the US...with ATT you have simultaneous data and voice transmission..recieve texts email and surf the net while on the phone...VZW can only do 1 at a time
    now to the niagara....it has the storms hardware...thats about all that needs to be said about that...the Bold has a faster processor ,WiFI and simultaneous data and voice....the niagara brings nothing new to the table
    when OS5.0 is released for the Bold it will have the same software as the niagara with better hardware..you do the math

do some research instead of posting the same old tired VZW company line
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-04-09 at 07:34 AM.
    04-04-09 07:29 AM

get the Bold
    its faster than anything made by RIM
    its the flagship device for a reason
    no matter how much spin 8900 users want to put on it EDGE< 3G
    the camera choices on the bold and 8900 are bad and worse...not a reason to get a phone IMO
    the 8900 has more memory....i suppose if you have about 75 apps it would matter...i have 25 apps and my Bold is humming right along.....myth#300: having more app memory speeds up your device< farce
    04-04-09 07:41 AM
    Heyyy...

I have a Bold. I've handled a Javelin a few times. I agree that the Bold (and Curve) are slightly bulkier compared to the Javelin, but I prefer my devices to have some sort of "girth" to make it easier to grab. Other friends of mine prefer slenderness and sleekness, so they vote for the Javelin.

Most of the corporate folks I see nowadays are going Bold. That's probably because a lot of them were on 8800's and the Bold is a natural replacement. In a few years, I'll expect to see more Javelins out there because it's only been in the last few years that Curves began becoming more mainstream in corporate culture, and any hardware upgrades will take a few years to trickle through.

It's really up to you what you're looking for in a phone, and what you're planning to do with either the Bold or the Javelin. Based on your post, I'm not sure how important things like processors, screens, cameras, and 3G vs Edge arguments are for your OWN personal needs. What do you do most with your phone? Emails? Snapping pics? Checking CB?

If I had to do it again, I'd pick both and alternate for workdays (Bold) and weekends/going out (Javelin)
    04-04-09 08:50 AM
    Im new to BB, had the 8900 but found the keys too small! after using the bold i sold it and got the bold. Only main thing is the camera which is better on the 8900 but thats no biggie!
    04-04-09 08:54 AM
    Ha well I've had both and both hold their own. I currently have the 8900 but will be getting a Bold as my backup (it was the easier way for me)

The pluses of the 8900:

1. The memory - and yes, you CAN notice a bit of difference if you have enough on there.
    2. The camera - yeah, it's in both cases a 'phone-camera', but the autofocus and extra 1.2 mp make the 8900 a 6/10 shooter, versus the Bold would be lucky to hit a 2 or 3 / 10.
    3. I personally find the 8900 lasts a lot longer (battery), but that's subjective, so don't take that to heart
    4. Quality of the screen; it is 480x360 and 2.4 inches, the Bold is, umm, I think 480x320 (I could be wrong, just taking it from memory) and 2.7 inches across. Do the math. Also the 'warmth' of the 8900 is superior to the Bold
    5. Form factor; it's sexy, it's sleek, I LOVE holding it in my hand

Pluses of the Bold:

1. 3G; plain and simple, it has it, the 8900 doesn't - I never noticed much of a difference, but the picky user WOULD notice it more
    2. Its' screen IS physically larger
    3. The keyboard (I'd rate it damn near 10/10, versus the 8900 would be a 9 (maybe 8), though after use it's just as easy to use)
    4. The Bold has ~850mb of internal space (if you care for this; I have media cards left, right, center, so not too big of a deal)
    5. The quality of the workmanship (I would rate it a 8-9/10, versus the 8900 is a little more of a toy feel sometimes, like a 7-8/10)

Ok, I'm tired, that should give you a non-biased idea.
    04-04-09 11:52 AM
    May I just leeched here ..

I've just got myself a bold recently .. Without any BIS/BES services ..

I would like to know what are the Apps, the very basic ones that I wasn't able to use since I don't have BIS/BES ?

I know the email / blackkberry maps wouldn't work .. I just don't get the idea of how is it that the "Windows Live Messenger" does not work with Wi-Fi ..

Could you name me a other important Apps that I can't use without the BIS/BES ?
    04-04-09 07:55 PM
    Ha well I've had both and both hold their own. I currently have the 8900 but will be getting a Bold as my backup (it was the easier way for me)

The pluses of the 8900:

1. The memory - and yes, you CAN notice a bit of difference if you have enough on there.
    2. The camera - yeah, it's in both cases a 'phone-camera', but the autofocus and extra 1.2 mp make the 8900 a 6/10 shooter, versus the Bold would be lucky to hit a 2 or 3 / 10.
    3. I personally find the 8900 lasts a lot longer (battery), but that's subjective, so don't take that to heart
    4. Quality of the screen; it is 480x360 and 2.4 inches, the Bold is, umm, I think 480x320 (I could be wrong, just taking it from memory) and 2.7 inches across. Do the math. Also the 'warmth' of the 8900 is superior to the Bold
    5. Form factor; it's sexy, it's sleek, I LOVE holding it in my hand

Pluses of the Bold:

1. 3G; plain and simple, it has it, the 8900 doesn't - I never noticed much of a difference, but the picky user WOULD notice it more
    2. Its' screen IS physically larger
    3. The keyboard (I'd rate it damn near 10/10, versus the 8900 would be a 9 (maybe 8), though after use it's just as easy to use)
    4. The Bold has ~850mb of internal space (if you care for this; I have media cards left, right, center, so not too big of a deal)
    5. The quality of the workmanship (I would rate it a 8-9/10, versus the 8900 is a little more of a toy feel sometimes, like a 7-8/10)

Ok, I'm tired, that should give you a non-biased idea.
    Pretty much sums it up! Great write up.

May I just leeched here ..

I've just got myself a bold recently .. Without any BIS/BES services ..

I would like to know what are the Apps, the very basic ones that I wasn't able to use since I don't have BIS/BES ?

I know the email / blackkberry maps wouldn't work .. I just don't get the idea of how is it that the "Windows Live Messenger" does not work with Wi-Fi ..

Could you name me a other important Apps that I can't use without the BIS/BES ?
    Check out this Forum section...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/
    04-04-09 08:07 PM
    Bold. It is the best BlackBerry.
    04-04-09 09:43 PM

Agreed, thoug the Bold has WiFi as well.

There has been a lot of talk about the processor of the Bold but honestly the 8900 performs better than the Bold; plus the 8900 has a better browser.
    04-04-09 10:24 PM

There has been a lot of talk about the processor of the Bold but honestly the 8900 performs better than the Bold; plus the 8900 has a better browser.
    Yes in some ways the 8900 DOES perform better as it has much more APP memory, which is like RAM for your BB.
    04-04-09 10:47 PM

the 8900 performs better than the Bold in what way?
    specifics?
    takes better pictures and what else?
    04-04-09 11:04 PM
    Yes in some ways the 8900 DOES perform better as it has much more APP memory, which is like RAM for your BB.
    thats a nice myth....sounds pretty good though...it gives 8900 users something to grasp as ammunition against the Bold
    having more free space is like having a bigger gas tank...doesnt really do a whole lot for you when it comes to performance but its sure great to brag about
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-04-09 at 11:14 PM.
    04-04-09 11:06 PM
    Ok, so someone asking for an opinion becomes a pi**ing contest, WOW. Op, I've used both units and imo the best for me was the 8900. It does all I need a berry to do and more. The slimness factor wasn't a big deal to me but the bold just didn't feel right in my hand. I browse the web all day on it w no problems.

04-04-09 11:29 PM
    the 8900 performs better than the Bold in what way?
    specifics?
    takes better pictures and what else?
    Well, these are what my friend always amazed on my 8900:
    1) how many memory free, when he press alt shift h. This memory issue sometime makes his bold slow.
    2) How many battery remain without charging
    3) How easy I can type while driving
    4) How light and fit when he hold it in his hand
    5) How bright the screen, coz he forced to set his bold screen to 10 to save battery

No offence on bold user, I just adore my 8900.

04-05-09 12:32 AM
    Guys I own both phones and have used them a lot. The OS interface is faster in the Curve, as is the Browser (A LOT, fastes mobile browser I have ever used), the Bold boots up a tad faster but both are a lot faster than the Storm. Apps also load faster as well, and has already been said the phone can hold twice as much for apps. I have almost everything that my Bold has on my 9800, plus some that I haven't put on my Bold yet; and still have almost a hundred megs of space left in app memory. I am running the updated .247 OS for my Bold but have yet to do the same for my 9800 because I see no pressing need. Battery life is great on both devices too BTW.

Someone want me to test something or want an observation about something specific feel free to ask.
    04-05-09 01:11 AM
    I own both as well and I prefer the size of the 8900 over the Bold. So I can honestly say I don't prefer one over the other. And 3G isn't a deal breaker for me. Even though a lot of people like to throw that around.
    04-05-09 01:17 AM
    As for the form factor goes, you can go to an at&t store and a t-mobile store to see both of the phones. I personally like the Bold better. I like the older Curve form factor. the 8900's buttons on the keyboard seem to close to each other IMO. It all depends on you though. You should try both of them out.
    04-05-09 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD