View Poll Results: How did you become a BB fan?

72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Simply trying one out

47 65.28%
  • TV advertisements

0 0%
  • Seeing someone use it

23 31.94%
  • After I came to CB forums

2 2.78%
11-03-11 11:39 AM
39 12
    I was handed one at work. An ugly, hideous looking thing...either black or blue, don't remember. Green screen, if I remember correctly. Seriously ugly. But I was hooked on it.

I'd been carrying an Audiovox Pocket PC and later a Siemens SX66 but I hated the look of the BB. I was then handed an 8703 and I actually loved that phone. That was when I got my first personal BB, the little red burgundy 8310. I LOVED that phone.

Work them gave me my best work BB, the 8310WE. LOVED that thing.

I now have a 9650 for work and I'm simultaneously using my 9810 from AT&T and my VZW 9930.

In my drawer at home I still have my 8310, which I love, my 9000 which I really didn't like at all, a 9700 and a 9800.

And I love my BBerries. I try other platforms as companions to them and to play with, but I love my BBerries first and foremost.
    11-02-11 01:31 PM
    I always hated people who used BlackBerries. I didn't see what the big deal was. Until my Samsung Gravity 1 dropped and broke its screen.

I had to buy a new phone, I've seen my friend use Blackberries. And I just went online and bought one. Didn't know why I wanted one, even though I could have gotten an Android or iPhone. I went with this. And so glad I did. I love it now.
    11-02-11 01:37 PM
    I became a fan of BB with the BB 8800.
    Before that I was mostly the gadget/tech fan guy who always had the latest techy things.
    I was using touch screens before Apple even knew what touch screens are (I'm discounting the whole Newton fiasco).
    I had the Handspring Prism (the first color touchscreen PDA running Plam OS), I then owned the HP iPaq (they were the first ones to use "I"). It ran Windows Mobile 5.
    I had many touchscreen phones. Moto A760 running on linux, Sony ericcson 910i.
    I bought the BB8800 thinking that I was downgrading from the 910i. It had a touchscreen with stylus input and a rocker keyboard.
    But the 8800 blew me away with the simplicity and usability.
    Never bought anything else after that.
    I even bought the Storm and lived with it for 8 months. The hardest 8 months with a mobile device.
    I was tempted with the iPhone 1, but when I saw one for real and tried using it, I knew for sure that I would never switch from BB.
    I went on to convert everyone of my friends to BB and they are now complete BB converts. They only look out for the new BB offerings so much so that our mobile retailer has standing instructions to deliver the latest top of the line BBs as soon as they are launched without confirmation.
    The day the 9900 was launched my 9900 was waiting for me when I got home.
    Yes I'm a BB fanboi and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Stock analysts be dam*ed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at
    11-02-11 02:57 PM
    I LOVE organizing and customizing things, so a Blackberry is perfect for me!

My life is organized through the calendar, tasks, and Memopad.

I love being able to change themes, the layout, and fonts.

Having apps, mp3 player, Youtube, and a web browser are just extra sweet bonuses! Especially on the new Bold 9900

My first BB was the 8900. When rumors of the 9900 posted I followed that phone until I could finally get my hands on it
    11-02-11 03:18 PM
    Got a Bold 9000 in 08 and I've been a big fan ever since.

11-02-11 03:41 PM
    3 years ago I bought my first 'smarphone', the lovely Toshiba G900.
    I loved the phone, because he could do a lot of things. But after a few months I really started to grew tired of the slowness, the crashes, the terrible battery, the bad OS.
    After a year the battery just broke completely ( I couldn't get my battery over 30%, I missed a lot of lessons that week because my alarm on my G900 didn't work).
    I was sick of that phone and I asked my brother if he knew a cheap phone that could replace him. He asked me what I founded important, so I made a list with the things that is must had. I remember good battery life, good organization, being able to make notes, not to expensive and keyboard were some of them. He showed me directly the Blackberry Curve 8520. At first I was mildly enthusiast. It was an ok phone, had decent battery and stuff, but wasn't that special.
    But after the months flew by, I discovered more an more stuff about the phone. It probably took me about half a year before I knew that you could some multitasking.
    After a year I took Blackberry Internet, and actually from then the productivity and fun of my phone rose exponentially.
    But the keys had broken (some stopped working) and I bought a Curve 9300 with OS6.
    Absolutely loving it. Which I had money for the 9900 though.

Long story...
    11-02-11 04:16 PM
    I never really was a phone fan.After all...I just needed the thing to call and text.Back in 2008 I had my first dumb phone with a camera and couldn't be any happier.By the end of 2008,I would always hear that a great phone was about to come out and it was going to change the mobile landscape.I'm talking about the BlackBerry friend decided to be a early adopter and for some weird reason my eyes were always locked on that phone everytime he was using it.A few months later,I was sitting in my friends car and I saw the Storm collecting dust.I asked him why he wasn't using it,he said it was a POS

He was looking to sell it,I borrowed it for 2 weeks and later decided to buy it from him.Bash the Storm all you want,it was a kick *** phone for me and it made me a BlackBerry addict forever!
    11-02-11 07:10 PM
    I had an iPhone 3GS which was nice, but I was becoming bored of it, wasn't actively looking to change though. My cousin (who I'm very close to) got an 8520 and showed me. I loved the physical keyboard and the form factor and she explained about BBM and other features, I was hooked. The next day I bought a 9300, then slowly managed to win over a circle of friends, one changed from Sony to a secondhand Bold 9000 (shes happy it does what she needs), and 2 changed from iPhone 3GS one got a Torch and the other a Bold 9780. Now even my Dad has switched to BB!

11-03-11 05:24 AM
    I think it was when I was 13. My mom had been issued a Curve 8330 for work and it was a joy to play with! I had never seen a BlackBerry before and to see a phone with a full keyboard at the time was amazing.

Three years later, when I was 16, I got the Pearl 8230. I was dead set on getting this phone because I loved flip phones and BlackBerry OS looked interesting. I was looking for a compact smartphone. The Pearl was everything I could have asked for and even more. I had so much fun just exploring the phone and seeing all the things I could do with it!

I'm now 18 and am a proud owner of a Torch 9810. I love this device! Everything about it is simply brilliant. OS7 is a major leap from OS4.6 and a joy to use. My friends know me as the "BlackBerry guy," which I'm proud of. CrackBerry makes the BlackBerry experience so much sweeter. Being a part of this community is so nice! I can't see myself ever going to another platform, especially with what RIM has in store for next year!
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 11-03-11 at 09:52 AM.
    11-03-11 09:50 AM
    I loved my VZW orange enV when I started a job at Verizon. I went to a BlackBerry training class for the job and they demo'ed the 8330. Copy and paste really impressed me!

The training class brought up on a projector and advised employees read through the site for helpful tips for customers.

The day after, I joined, ordered a Curve 8330. Took me some time to get the hang of it. I did eventually and loved it.

That's how I started on CrackBerry and BlackBerry.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-03-11 at 10:04 AM.
    11-03-11 10:01 AM
    I hopped on the BlackBerry bandwagon when I was about 21/22 (probably around 2007?). I was tired of my little flip phones (I had a RAZR and a really cute little Samsung that had fun noises and a red/green/orange LED light).

I had seen the Pearl 8100 and liked that it was small and slim, like my flip phones, but it wasn't a flip! All I knew about BlackBerry was that important people in business used them, but I couldn't afford anything else except this little Pearl. I really didn't know much about BlackBerry, I didn't even know what the heck the BBM app was for, so I quickly hid it and never touched it. I didn't know anyone who used a BlackBerry back then. I liked that I could go on the internet, but now looking back -- OMG was that thing slooooow and it took forever, but it was neat to be able to pull up a website if I needed to.

I had the Pearl for about two years and I gave it up for the iPhone3GS in 2009. Ended up back to BlackBerry with the 9800 after I had the iPhone for a year. And now I'm back to iPhone.
    11-03-11 10:12 AM
    I went to AT&T after an ugly divorce with Verizon (She got the house, and my arms and legs too)
    I had been using a samsung dumb phone and wanted to move up to a smartphone. I was seriously wanting an Android phone with no interest in either iPhone or BlackBerry.
    What do I find when I get to the store? A bunch of brick sized slabs with no physical keyboard or a Pantech Crossover. I was disappointed to say the least.
    Over in the corner, far removed from the "cool" phones, were two BlackBerries: a 9800 Torch and a Curve 3G. "These look more like what I want!" I said. I tried them both out for several minutes walking between them and the androids to compare features.

I ended up taking the Torch because it literally had everything I was looking for: touchscreen AND a great QWERTY keyboard, internet browsing AND push email. I was a little sad that I couldn't play "Angry Birds" but, honestly, I don't need silly games on my communications device anyway. Since then I've been very happy with my phone and plan to upgrade to another BB in the future.
    11-03-11 11:02 AM
    Hooked on BB cos of BBM ..main use to flirt with this certain someone. after she introduced me to it.
    Now I'm totally hooked to BB ... Didn't care much for the other fruity thingy or that green person
    11-03-11 11:07 AM
    The poll is a little frustrating for me because there needs to be an "all of the above" choice. I came to BlackBerry because I saw an advantage to a physical keyboard and a touch screen. My daughter, who is a lawyer, had been rocking a Curve for a while, and she was always on the thing. I used to tease her about her "crack" addiction. I didn't see how anyone could be on the thing so much. She just laughed and said because of BBM and keeping in touch with her office and all that stuff. Now I was rocking a Jack but saw the potential of a device with a physical qwerty keyboard and a touchscreen. The only WinMo one at the time had been a buggy abysmal failure, but the concept was still solid.

Then I saw a commercial for the Torch and I thought "hmmmm". I went to ATT and tried it out a few times. I didn't understand the menu system, but managed to fiddle around with it somewhat (I had helped my boss set up his old Curve and then his Storm) and get the feel of it. Finally I pulled the trigger and got the Torch. I have been very pleased.

I also rememberd that my daughter talked about a website called Crackberry and so I googled it and discovered this forum. I read the help articles, and did the search thing to find topics in which I was interested. I joined the forum and the rest, as they say is history. I am now on my second BlackBerry and very pleased to be rocking an OS 7 device and at the tender age of 61, turning into a crackberry addict.

Now my wife wants to know why I spend so much time on my phone. She is now due for an upgrade, so she will soon be rocking a BlackBerry as well. Then she will understand.
    11-03-11 11:39 AM
39 12