View Poll Results: How did you become a BB fan?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Simply trying one out

47 65.28%
  • TV advertisements

0 0%
  • Seeing someone use it

23 31.94%
  • After I came to CB forums

2 2.78%
    Read from another post that someone became a BB fan after simply trying one out. It brought back nostalgic memories of my very first BB about 2 years go - it all started with the Curve 8520. The only reason why I got it was that my carrier sold it for free on a 2-year contract. It was love at first touch! Not because I saw it on TV, read about it on the internet, or seeing anybody use it around me (in fact, it's none). After about 6 months of using it I started to lurk on CB forums, and learned that RIM made a lot more phones. That was when I got burned with the POS S2 but the 9780 saved the day for me.

So how did you become a BB fan?
    11-02-11 06:45 AM
    Always admired the look of one, however my first and current BB is the S2. Due for an upgrade soon and even though 9850/60 is a sweet device, I think I will be opting for a 9900/30, I want the "real" BB experience!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 06:56 AM
    I was forced to get an 8330m from my dad.
    After using it for a while, I fell in love with CrackBerry. (and therefore my BlackBerry)

11-02-11 06:58 AM
    I was forced to get an 8330m from my dad.
    After using it for a while, I fell in love with CrackBerry. (and therefore my BlackBerry)

Mine too was thrust upon me!

I was a very Happy WinMo user, and then my work gave me a 8330, I did everything I could to find a reason to NOT use or like the 8330, but within a few months I started to love it, and wanted to show people it, really it wasn't till my 9630 did I get heavily into BBM but it was the 8330 that started it all, I can't believe I never gave this platform a try, thanks to that experience I keep trying other platforms, but keep staying with BB
    TIMSHULL likes this.
    11-02-11 07:18 AM
    Walked into the Telus store, looked at everything they had and kept going back to the 8330, little did I know it was late in the game for the 8330 and soon there after I was wanting a 9700 but my second BB was a 8520 due to a replacement Berry after the first went swimming. It was good enough to get me hooked. The company 9650 is working well now but the entire family has joined and are using BB7 devices. So I get my upgrade fix, for now.
    11-02-11 07:30 AM
    I was issued one for the company I worked for. Used BBs for more than half a decade and then was issued an iPhone as a requirement of my job. There is no question BB was king at it's prime but when I compare the two now there isn't much of a competition for my work requirements; iPhone wins hands down.

(I was actually offered any Android phone or iPhone but for whatever reason I don't like Android... feels choppy and like I'm beta testing it)
    11-02-11 07:32 AM
    I've been a loyal fan ever since I bought my first smart phone, which was the Blackberry Curve 8900 back in late 2008. It was between that or the recently released iPhone. I opted for the BB because I was getting into the Twitter craze and wanted a keyboard. I've since jumped to the Torch 9800.
    11-02-11 07:42 AM
    Saw a friend using a curve and thought it was cool but didn't like the size. Ended up going into ATT and getting a pearl(after hating the iphone 1) and it was all downhill from there. Crackberry addicted.
    11-02-11 07:43 AM
    I started my smartphone experience with an iPhone, at the time it was incredible that you could touch the screen and download movies directly to the phone. It was and is a very nice device but after a year, I just never did download a movie on the device and the e-mail experience was so bad that I stopped using it (however, it is much better now). But, at the store I kept noticing the BlackBerry phones. Different in their own way from all the other phones out there.

So I got a Tour. Wow, I loved the notification light (addictive), then the awesome feel of a real keyboard (I felt I could stretch out into it), push was amazing and the choice of consolidated vs. individual inboxes was nice. But wow how I hated that it crashed so much. So, with no wifi, no bluetooth, I decided to try another device and went to the Palm Pre Plus. Sadly this device came with the most fantastic OS out there but it just did not have the muscle to gain altitude and the keyboard was terrible.

Then I tried an HTC Evo 4G. For about a month I was happy with it but the battery drain was just annoying and I missed the feel of a real physical keyboard to type on. It was not that the actual phone usage killed the battery but those awesome graphics and apps in the background sure did. I began leaving in the drawer at home and after a couple of months I was wondering what was the point of having a phone I never used.
    When the Torch 1 was announced I said "the **** with it", it is fast enough, it has a real, workable, physical keyboard and there is no better e-mail experience. I was happy with it. However, when the Bold 9930 came out with the 1.2Ghz processor and improved web and youtube experience I just would have no other phone.

There are many nice devices out there but as of today, the BlackBerry Bold 9930 is just the absolute best for me.

If you are happy with your device, then it is the right one for you.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-02-11 at 08:07 AM.
    11-02-11 07:57 AM
    A little more than ten years ago, my firm offered to pay for half the cost of a 950.
    11-02-11 08:06 AM
    I got a free 8100 with a tmobile contract when i didn't really know much about smart phones. After it accidentally went swimming, i bought a 8320 off of ebay and i was hooked. Then i bought a 8900 from craigslist which was an amazing device and i didn't miss 3g because where i lived in WY did not have it anyway. Now i am on an excellent 9700 from Craigslist again.
    My 8320 is still being used by a friend who also lives in Europe now who only cares about BBM/Battery life/messaging/Email, my father uses my old 8900 and has cut time in his office responding to emails dramatically (Professor), and I still use the 9700.
    All devices work flawlessly still.
    11-02-11 08:09 AM
    A little more than ten years ago, my firm offered to pay for half the cost of a 950.
    You got me beat! My office thrust a 7290 on me and it was love at first sight! Or first use! I still had a separate dumb phone in those days too, since we only had like 100 voice minutes on the BBs, but the Data was unlimited.
    11-02-11 08:14 AM
    Needed a smartphone and bought a 9000 off contract. Love at first sight based on specifications. As soon as the functions came to life the BB love affair was on. Continues to this day with the 9800 and anxious to visit the 9900 and 9810 for a change this month.
    11-02-11 08:21 AM
    This shows that RIM needs to work on marketing.....
    NOBODY has voted for TV advertisements.....
    Thewaxedworm likes this.
    11-02-11 09:05 AM
    I wanted to be more productive at work and more efficient.

Needed a smartphone, liked the look and feel of the berry's.

My first was a 9700- loved that thing.

Left for Android but just missed bb so much I came back.

9780 now. Not sure where next I like top end phones and I read the 9790 is mid end with 9900 being top end so I'll probably go down that route.

11-02-11 09:26 AM
    I had a BB for a very short period of time back in 2005.. then went to several different phones... had a E-Ten GoldFiish (puhaha), Samsungs etc etc.. went to blackberry again in the later and early parts of 2006/2007.. then got the iphone... i will admit i loved it.. UNTIL!!!

my wedding day in 2008... i was a nervous wreck... my plan was to surprise my wife to be with my wedding vow which i wrote and on top of that I was going to play Richard Marx's "Now and Forever".. i have been playing guitar for just over a year at that point but i practiced and practiced... it's not an easy song to Sing either!!

I was good the night before... but on the day of i was soooooo nervous i needed help! so i decided to play along with my iphone playing it with earbuds...

things were going well until half way through the song the iphone CRAPPED out on me and i froze for a split second... i ended up finishing the song .. but brutal! i guess it;s the thought that counts!!

the next day on our way to Korea i tried to figure out what happened.. i restored over and over and still nothing was working... finally i got up and runnin and i was pretty popular in Korea with this iphone.. but again after a few days it crapped out.. and the bottom half of the touch screen stopped working..

went to a HTC G1 .. hated it .. then finally again to BB after a friend of mine said it was the best email, communication device out there.. and i never looked back

hope u liked my little story ; >
    11-02-11 09:27 AM
    The first time I saw a Blackberry(8330) was in the hands of a coworker, I fell in love, that was approx 4 years ago. She actually let me "play" with it . I've been using a Blackberry ever since.
    11-02-11 10:00 AM
    My first bb was the first curve 8300 from cingular/att. I was working for them at the time and fell in love with blackberry and the curve series.. I switched carriers back in 2008 and got the 8330 from sprint as a personal device cause I love the form factor so much then my 8330 finally gave out so I upgraded to the 9330 Curve 3G back in oct 2010 and its still ticking away... I love this device and the simplicity of OS 5 so Imma hang on to this thing til it craps out!

11-02-11 10:13 AM
    Being quite long time user of smartphones never considered a BlackBerry until the QNX on PlayBook was announced. Just wanted the tablet - 7", multitasking, QNX etc.

As it was time for new smartphone, just decided to check BlackBerry - sounded to me should be good fit with BlackBerry tablet. Got 9300 just to check the system and get used to BlackBerry, and if not like it to move on without spending much cash.

Well after few months landed with PlayBook and bit later with 9900 in hands.

9300 passed to kiddo, gave it to him few hours ago btw - his first smartphone
    11-02-11 11:19 AM
    Canadian company! damn proud of it eh, plus awesome products for talking, texting and email! Since the 9900 came out, it only got better eh!
    11-02-11 11:35 AM
    I simply wanted a device with a nice keyboard in the BlackBerry style. I was with US Cellular at the time, and had wanted a new phone for a while. I went to the store and was trying to choose between a Moto Q and a Curve 8330. I had the guy power each one up for me, and I ended up choosing the Curve. I was mainly influenced by price more than anything, and almost went with the Q because it was cheaper, but the Curve was WAY nicer so I decided to pony up a little more money and get it. A friend referred me to CrackBerry to get some tips and stuff on the device, and the rest is history.
    11-02-11 11:46 AM
    The best advertisement is seeing it in action, and that's how I decided on mine. Seeing how productive my friends were with theirs I decided to take the plunge and get one.

Been happy ever since. I've checked out other brands/models but nothing has outweighed the pro's of the Blackberry.
    11-02-11 11:51 AM
    my brother was a huge blackberry fanboi and he made me get the bold 9000 when it came out, now he uses a iphone but im still loving BB.
    11-02-11 11:53 AM
    I switched to an 8330 three years ago and fell in love immediately. I since upgraded twice and now have the 9650 bold. I tried an EVO 3D for a couple weeks. It was cool but it couldnt compare with emails like a blackberry. So i sold it and went back to my 9650. I only wish sprint would get the torch that at&t has. Until then ill stick with my bold. I dont get to use bbm to often as i only have 1 friend on it and for some reason they would rather text instead. So feel free to add my pin. Id also like to start using bbm music . Im not too sure how it works tho. So add me!!!
    11-02-11 12:16 PM
    As soon as the data packages became somewhat affordable (2008) I got my first BB (Pearl). I loved it
    11-02-11 01:30 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD