I wonder if anyone wants to share their thoughts on how BBRY made such an incredible smooth device? Is it the hardware or is it the OS?

I mean the thing never stutters. Every window, app just opens without any delay or hold up. The games I play never hang or delay. They just load and run buttery smooth.

The only other phone I have that does that is the iPhone. My Android can barely open my calendar (I am a busy guy) in a decent amount of time. I guess maybe this is what happens when you control the hardware and the software (like iOS and BBRY)? No wonder Android devices are now shipping with 48 cores... They need it just to keep up with all the bloatware.

So what do you guys think? Is it QNX (under the hood of BB10) or did RIM pack this beast with some beasty hardware?
    04-01-13 05:10 PM
    its QNXs management of the hardware, the most active application is pushed to the front of the line to be loaded while the proccesses less active or dormant sit back and wait for their turn.

i wouldn't say that there are no stutters there are still some bugs but none are really to major and will probably be addressed with an update
    04-01-13 05:24 PM
    i dont know if i got a defective device but mine isnt buttery smooth
    it stutters all the time and has so many bugs
    im just hoping the next software update will fix everything
    04-01-13 05:41 PM
    Mine is buttery smooth....no stutters, hang ups, restarts needed....it's a fab phone!
    04-01-13 05:57 PM
    There is always a debate over how smooth the Z10 is. I'm curious if it's to do with the chipset. If you type myver from a Z10 it will show the model type.

I would say mine is smooth most of the time but the settings app and android apps are laggy and for some reason minimising the phone app is too.

Z10STL100-2/10.0.10.690

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 06:12 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    mine is amazingly smooth ... spend hours listening to videos while multi tasking ... hard to put down!! lol ....
    ismarkwright likes this.
    04-01-13 06:45 PM
    Yeah maybe I got the buttery smooth one. I have never seen it stutter. I guess Flip board (side loaded Android app) could run a bit faster but all the apps that I have downloaded from BBW have been perfect.

Oh and the Browser is also insanely fast. I am sure TMOBILE LTE network isn't hurting in that regard.

Posted via CB10
    ismarkwright likes this.
    04-01-13 07:45 PM
    Z10STL100-4/10.0.9.2743

Mine has literally never stuttered, but the battery leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted via CB10
    araskin likes this.
    04-01-13 08:29 PM
    Mines smooth as glass. Even all the hub and settings stuff that others have complained about.

The sole issue I have that is ongoing is sometimes the camera app hangs on me after a snapping a photo. All I do is touch the photo thumbnail to view the photo just snapped and it recovers. But until I do that I can't bottom swipe and minimize the camera app.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:02 PM
    Mine has been silky smooth since I got it. Sometimes the landscape mode takes a while to go back which can be annoying, but that is all in the smoothness category.
    ismarkwright and araskin like this.
    04-01-13 09:15 PM
    The only time mine has thought of stuttering was when I started up a sideloaded Android app. Native is beautiful.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 11:15 PM
    My Z10 is very smooth too. It have zero lag. I showed it to a coworker today who has the other fruit phone and he could not believe it was a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 11:29 PM
    Z10STL100-3/10.0.10.684
    The Z10 really does run smooth. It's all about that QNX and chipset optimization baby. This is awesome

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    04-01-13 11:41 PM
    Same here I'm actually doing as much as I can to see what it takes to slow this beast down. This thing doesn't want to slow down. I love showing other pple from other platforms and watching there face expressions lol

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:53 AM
    Same here I'm actually doing as much as I can to see what it takes to slow this beast down. This thing doesn't want to slow down. I love showing other pple from other platforms and watching there face expressions lol

Posted via CB10
    My favorite is playing Pandora in the browser, minimizing it, and doing other things. Songs still play and stays smooth as a baby's behind.
    04-02-13 07:56 AM
    It has definitely something to do with the OS. QNX is just the low level stuff, but also the base to make it happen.

Even the PlayBook runs very smooth, but has some lacks in functionality.

What makes me very happy is the battery life of my two playbooks... I bought them as soon as they were available and battery life was getting better and better... I hope that the same will happen with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:02 AM
    It really is a beast. Not many phones can do BBM video with screen sharing at the same time as hub, etc and not stutter
    If you tried to run Android on this hardware and do the same thing it would grind down to a crawl. No wonder all the Android phones ship with a Kajillion cores! They need it just to keep up.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:13 AM
    BlackBerry did a fantastic job on this phone. And to get its still in its infant stage. How does awesome get better? We shall see.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:25 AM
    I wonder if anyone wants to share their thoughts on how BBRY made such an incredible smooth device? Is it the hardware or is it the OS?

I mean the thing never stutters. Every window, app just opens without any delay or hold up. The games I play never hang or delay. They just load and run buttery smooth.

The only other phone I have that does that is the iPhone. My Android can barely open my calendar (I am a busy guy) in a decent amount of time. I guess maybe this is what happens when you control the hardware and the software (like iOS and BBRY)? No wonder Android devices are now shipping with 48 cores... They need it just to keep up with all the bloatware.

So what do you guys think? Is it QNX (under the hood of BB10) or did RIM pack this beast with some beasty hardware?
    They used the astroglide API in the UI. Works every time.
    04-02-13 08:40 AM
    Mine is buttery smooth....no stutters, hang ups, restarts needed....it's a fab phone!
    Me too, my phone has been as smooth as a babies bottom, but remember, even in supply chain not every phone is identical, it's like with cats even though a car is built on the same assembly line, doesn't mean each engine will put out the same HP even though they ate physically identical, that's what quality control is for.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 10:43 AM
    Honestly, I think a large part of it is due to the 2 GB of RAM. The Hub and the "layering" of pages within apps really contributes to the perceived "smoothness" of the phone in my opinion. The fact that the Hub is always running in the background, always accessible in a smooth, swiping gesture is dependent largely on it occupying a sizeable chunk of system memory. The Z10 came in at the turning point of a new generation of phones, but 2 GB really stands out - SGS3 = 1.5 GB + same processor, Lumia 920 = 1 GB + same processor, iPhone 5 = 1 GB + comparable processor, Note 2 = 2 GB + quad core processor.

Not to understate the importance of differentiators like hardware optimization with BB10/QNX, but the memory is a critical part of the "smooth", "always on" experience.
    Last edited by Easy-G; 04-02-13 at 11:53 AM. Reason: SGS3 memory edit - pretty sure that 2 GB variants exist as well
    04-02-13 10:57 AM
    Honestly, I think a large part of it is due to the 2 GB of RAM. The Hub and the "layering" of pages within apps really contributes to the perceived "smoothness" of the phone in my opinion. The fact that the Hub is always running in the background, always accessible in a smooth, swiping gesture is dependent largely on it occupying a sizeable chunk of system memory. The Z10 came in at the turning point of a new generation of phones, but 2 GB really stands out - SGS3 = 1 GB + same processor, Lumia 920 = 1 GB + same processor, iPhone 5 = 1 GB + comparable processor, Note 2 = 2 GB + quad core processor.

Not to understate the importance of differentiators like hardware optimization with BB10/QNX, but the memory is a critical part of the "smooth", "always on" experience.

SGS3 = 1.5 GB Ram + Dual Core

Not that it matters though. NIX core is a NIX core.
    Attached Thumbnails How did BBRY make such a 'smooth' phone?-2013-04-02-13.37.01.jpg  
    Easy-G likes this.
    04-02-13 11:39 AM