My question to you, Crackberry, is how can RIM fight back with Blackberry Phone 10. How should it be demonstrated and portrayed to the consumer? What would be the most effective method of convincing consumers that the iPhone isn't that cool at all, but BB10 phones.

I ask as a previous BB9900-user-now-iPhone4s user who wishes to return to BB...if BB10 will offer social gaming apps that many of my friends use. May I switch back to BB even if they don't have them? Possibly...I am very busy, so I find the iPhone to be...a fix...like heroin. I miss BB9900, but I wanted to have an iPhone on me because I absolutely *LOVE* what it can do...when I need it. I don't need iOS 24/7, so it's good at what I need 10% of the time.
    04-03-12 07:57 PM
    1. it's about the apps -> translates to how many things a device can do VS does it do what it does well. people like the former.
    2. more importantly, it's the brand. try convincing a woman who frequents LV and prada to step into a nike store.

want to build up the brand name? launch a new product and create your own demand. a la original ipod
    04-03-12 08:09 PM
    Ok my belief is that people who have dropped blackberry for ios or android will later regret it. That's only if RIM gets with the program and utilizes their resources. It's going to be a very interesting year and my final though is it's better to get negative attention than no attention at all. I think deep down everybody wants RIM to succeed but it's unfortunate that most people aren't willing to stick it out when confronted with hard times. Take marriage for example, how many American marriages end in divorce because they weren't willing to go through the bad times. BlackBerry and the loyal customers are developing character. People need to stop taking the easy way out. Grow a pair. Either dance with the wolves or sing with the coyotes.
    04-03-12 08:10 PM
    If RIM Really wants to try and bring back iOS / Android users to BlackBerry, AND attract users who never had BlackBerry's they need to:

Launch with Market important Apps:
    Skype, Netflix, Instagram, Social Games, Social Media
    Launch with Consumption solutions:
    Music store integrations, like iTunes sync, Amazon Music, 7 Digital, and more,
    Book store integrations, like Kobo, Amazon, iBook
    Movie Store integrations, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes Sync, Carrier On Demand services

They need advertising that focuses on WHAT BB10 Brings, the ads should feature the phones, NOT cup cakes, or DJ's or glowing bikes, they need to show the phone, show the KEY features, and the icons of the popular features, what does RIM bring to the party that everyone must have?

RIM CAN make them selves relevant, but to execute it they need to focus on why BlackBerry, and show WHY BlackBerry.
    Stewartj1 and Guatiao like this.
    04-03-12 08:17 PM
    If RIM Really wants to try and bring back iOS / Android users to BlackBerry, AND attract users who never had BlackBerry's they need to:

Launch with Market important Apps:
    Skype, Netflix, Instagram, Social Games, Social Media
    Launch with Consumption solutions:
    Music store integrations, like iTunes sync, Amazon Music, 7 Digital, and more,
    Book store integrations, like Kobo, Amazon, iBook
    Movie Store integrations, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes Sync, Carrier On Demand services

They need advertising that focuses on WHAT BB10 Brings, the ads should feature the phones, NOT cup cakes, or DJ's or glowing bikes, they need to show the phone, show the KEY features, and the icons of the popular features, what does RIM bring to the party that everyone must have?

RIM CAN make them selves relevant, but to execute it they need to focus on why BlackBerry, and show WHY BlackBerry.
    THIS!

Does RIM not think their phones should be in the ad itself? What the heck? :-/. Something tells me that the CEO doesn't OK these ads, because if he had any sense...he would have rejected those ads.
    04-03-12 08:27 PM
    THIS!

Does RIM not think their phones should be in the ad itself? What the heck? :-/. Something tells me that the CEO doesn't OK these ads, because if he had any sense...he would have rejected those ads.
    This is the lack of a CMO

RIM needs CMO that will take pride in the advertising of RIM products
    miker476 likes this.
    04-03-12 08:28 PM
    Apps + UI that actually fluently works consistently...
    04-03-12 08:33 PM
    This is the lack of a CMO

RIM needs CMO that will take pride in the advertising of RIM products

yes. and agree completely with your previous post as well. they need a CMO who is a raving fan of BlackBerry and can infect their audience with their enthusiasm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 08:42 PM
    yes. and agree completely with your previous post as well. they need a CMO who is a raving fan of BlackBerry and can infect their audience with their enthusiasm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I don't want a Raving BlackBerry fan as the CMO,
    I want someone who sees BlackBerry for what it is, and what it isn't and will push what it is through marketing, and fight with the CEO to fix what it isn't so he has something new to push the next quarter

Many here who are Blind BlackBerry fans, would be such bad Marketing people for BlackBerry because they don't see the faults, you can't upsell your strengths if you don't know your faults.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-03-12 08:45 PM
    I think it'll be an iconic phone like 9900 with a screen that cones close to 3.5". Phones are getting bigger so no reason you couldn't with edge to edge screen. Imagine the great keyboard that could go with it.
    Stereo speakers at the top. This would be the most functional tool rapped around a media powerhouse. Flip through open apps with ease using the optical trackpad performing bezel swipe gestures.

Make it in many colors options and great battery and antenna and I would wait in line for this!
    04-03-12 08:46 PM
    Ok my belief is that people who have dropped blackberry for ios or android will later regret it. That's only if RIM gets with the program and utilizes their resources. It's going to be a very interesting year and my final though is it's better to get negative attention than no attention at all. I think deep down everybody wants RIM to succeed but it's unfortunate that most people aren't willing to stick it out when confronted with hard times. Take marriage for example, how many American marriages end in divorce because they weren't willing to go through the bad times. BlackBerry and the loyal customers are developing character. People need to stop taking the easy way out. Grow a pair. Either dance with the wolves or sing with the coyotes.

Why would someone regret buying a device that works better for them?

Buying a phone is nothing like a marriage regardless of how much you may feel you've put into the device. It's a phone.

It's a phone.

Again, it's a phone.
    Stewartj1 and NotJustAPhone like this.
    04-03-12 09:07 PM
    Apps + UI that actually fluently works consistently...
    I agree about the apps, but I'm beginning to wonder what kind of UI consumers want. I agree that current BlackBerry UI is not nearly intuitive or attractive enough to lure away iOS/Android users, but what about Windows Phone? I mean, people either love it or hate it, but, to me, it's very attractive and intuitive. I don't see why people don't like it.

So how does RIM go about their UI? From what we've seen of BB10, the UI is somewhat similar to iOS and Android, but utilizes PlayBook app multitasking in a unique way. I'm hoping that RIM does more to make people simply love using the device and actually have fun using it, rather than a simple grid-style layout (you know, kind of like the PlayBook is fun to simply use).
    04-03-12 09:10 PM

Many here who are Blind BlackBerry fans, would be such bad Marketing people for BlackBerry because they don't see the faults
    Nicely Done!!

Now run!! The CB Zombies are at your door!!
    04-03-12 09:32 PM
    I don't want a Raving BlackBerry fan as the CMO,
    I want someone who sees BlackBerry for what it is, and what it isn't and will push what it is through marketing, and fight with the CEO to fix what it isn't so he has something new to push the next quarter

Many here who are Blind BlackBerry fans, would be such bad Marketing people for BlackBerry because they don't see the faults, you can't upsell your strengths if you don't know your faults.
    Well when I say fan, I mean someone passionate about seeing the brand succeed. Being proud to carry the BB flag. Always looking for ways to make BB better, and better, and better. Which includes recognizing deficiencies and addressing them head-on.

Maybe this isn't the CMO's job but how great would it be for someone at RIM to announce to their faithful audience "we hear your concerns about lack of apps, lack of Skype, Netflix, etc. And believe me when I say this but we will not rest until we give you the consumer the best mobile communication experience possible!"
    04-03-12 09:34 PM
    Well when I say fan, I mean someone passionate about seeing the brand succeed. Being proud to carry the BB flag. Always looking for ways to make BB better, and better, and better. Which includes recognizing deficiencies and addressing them head-on.

Maybe this isn't the CMO's job but how great would it be for someone at RIM to announce to their faithful audience "we hear your concerns about lack of apps, lack of Skype, Netflix, etc. And believe me when I say this but we will not rest until we give you the consumer the best mobile communication experience possible!"
    I'm sure that the people in charge are passionate about the companies success. There are tens of millions of dollars worth of stock options at stake. That tends to motivate people.

It is much easier to recognize what needs to be done than it is to execute those changes.
    04-03-12 09:43 PM
    It is much easier to recognize what needs to be done than it is to execute those changes.
    Exactly. "Well done" beats "well said."
    04-03-12 09:51 PM
    I'm sure that the people in charge are passionate about the companies success. There are tens of millions of dollars worth of stock options at stake. That tends to motivate people.

I disagree

I am barely motivated by increased financial gain, I'd have never left software if financial gain was my motivation,

Passion for Financial gain is not the same as pure passion for a cause/product

I'm sure many have passion for the product, but do they see the faults, and are they looking for ways to improve? or are they in tunnel vision, I feel RIM was in tunnel vision for too long.
    04-03-12 09:55 PM
    They need to be different and compelling. The stuff they demoed at conferences is different and compelling.

Droids like specs

iOS users like attractive products and apps
    04-03-12 09:59 PM
    From what i hear, they want cool games, and to be able to surf the net, and not be obsolete when they launch....
    04-03-12 10:19 PM
    iOS like to turn on the phone and have it work. Every aspect of the phone will be used the way steve jobs wanted them to be. Android users are the total opposite, and will rip and tear the OS apart until no two devices are the same. Of course, some android users just use the defaults in an apple-like way, and they drive the power users crazy.
    I have always thought that blackberry was a perfect blend. I can set up the responsiveness of the trackball, keyboard, etc., fine tuning as opposed to all tuning of android.

How do you lure iOS or Droidians back without becoming them
    If I knew we didn't need them back, I'd just as soon not see bb10 targeted at their userbase.
    04-03-12 10:22 PM
    If people don't get a comparable experience or better they're not gonna be willing to change. Say what you will about apps, people want em, even if they aren't always sure why.
    04-03-12 10:23 PM
    To entice users of other platforms, BB10 will need to provide the same services and products that iOS and Android do (or at least, a majority of them).

The most obvious is the App base. All/most of the popular and favorite apps need to be there, or reasonable confidence that they soon will be. Though reasonable confidence in soon-to-come will be hard to sell based on the last couple years' track record.

RIM/BB needs to build a rock solid relationship with Google to take full advantage of all of Google's products and services, and/or be able to seamlessly make the transfer to similar services that are deemed suitable replacements. The same applies to products and services other than Google that are also very popular.

IMO, it will be easier to sway Android users than iOS users, since the above criteria will be easier to meet with Google's services than with Apple's.

In a nutshell... the transition has to be seamless (read: zero headaches).
    04-03-12 10:41 PM
    Ok my belief is that people who have dropped blackberry for ios or android will later regret it.
    How will I regret stepping away from BB to a different platform? Once BB again meets my criteria, I have no problems going back to a BB as my main device. I've been holding out for BB10 phones for quite some time now, and if my hopes for BB10 do come to fruition, I won't regret a thing. I'll be quite happy.

I think deep down everybody wants RIM to succeed but it's unfortunate that most people aren't willing to stick it out when confronted with hard times. Take marriage for example, how many American marriages end in divorce because they weren't willing to go through the bad times. BlackBerry and the loyal customers are developing character. People need to stop taking the easy way out. Grow a pair. Either dance with the wolves or sing with the coyotes.
    Since when is there an obligation on the part of the consumer to stick with a product through the hard times? Consumers who moved on to other platforms didn't divorce BB after taking a vow or an oath. And it's not like there's going to be any reciprocity coming from RIM/BB to punish those for not sticking around through thick and thin.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-03-12 at 10:45 PM.
    04-03-12 10:43 PM
    Honestly, they should just pay certain developers to make apps for QNX/BB10 if they aren't going to otherwise. They need to get enticing apps for their users. The main apps they need to focus on are Skype, Netflix, Kindle, Twitter, Dropbox, TuneIn Radio, and Instagram.

They also need to make a fast and stable OS. BBOS and QNX aren't very stable, and I lost nearly all my BBM contacts because they moved to platforms that won't break by everyday use. There is definitely a negative stigma towards the blackberry brand because of long term reliability issues with blackberry products. They need to remove it by fixing all the bugs out of BB10 before they release it. If they can consistently do stable releases they can remove this negative stigma.

They also need to make a device that looks modern yet has good battery life. Android/iOS devices have been doing both lately, while RIM has yet to do both (with BB7 they made relatively modern looking devices but they had battery life).

If they could do these things it would probably entice a bunch of people who left BB to come back.
    04-04-12 12:15 AM
    Take marriage for example, how many American marriages end in divorce because they weren't willing to go through the bad times. BlackBerry and the loyal customers are developing character. People need to stop taking the easy way out. Grow a pair. Either dance with the wolves or sing with the coyotes.
    What does the American divorce rate have to do with anything??

Cell phones develop character???

Where exactly do you hail from?
    04-04-12 12:19 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD