US bb people just likes to complain when we can
    Not just us BB people, everybody complains when they can. Although, the iphone users I know don't ever complain about their phones, all they talk about is how awesome it is. They're starting to get on my nerves.
    12-27-09 07:59 PM
    Bb users notice the outtages more that is why they complain, when was the last bb outtage outside of these 2 this quarter? I don't ever remember another outtage, and even so this outtage effected my bbm and my BIS emails only, I still had BES though not fast, and my imap on gmail worked.

US bb people just likes to complain when we can

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This statement insinuates that other smartphone users have outages and they just don't know they do.... which is mostly INCORRECT.
    12-27-09 08:19 PM
    a better browser would be welcome!
    12-28-09 08:33 AM
    [QUOTE=Media Warrior;4381177]
    I

Manual Restart Option in software (this should be integrated into the OS rather then having to get a third-party app. I've had an app crash, but not the OS, so I needed to restart the phone. I shouldn't have to take apart my protector for the phone and pull the battery to do this. it's about to be 2010. can RIM and all the other cell makers get with the times)

hold alt and rt shift and del down does reset like old windows ctrl,alt,del
    By manual option, I meant something akin to the standby button. Using a combo like that may work for a 'power' user, but not for your 'average' user. Thanks for the tip though.
    12-28-09 10:42 AM
    I completely agree. RIM seems to have spread themselves way too thin. I think we can all agree that there are 3 aspects that make up a BB smartphone: hardware, software and the network. RIM has so many different hardware versions and software versions, they seem to have lost control.

The network is a no-brainer. I pay for my phone. If it doesn't work, even if only for a few hours, that is unacceptable. I should be reimbursed or at least have my account credited for the time I did not receive the services I paid for. The simplest solution to me is redundancy. Obviously great effort should be, and hopefully is being, spent on improving the quality of the NOC server. I'm not sure getting rid of it is a better solution, but things need to change.

I also agree that the number and variations of phones is ridiculous. This creates problems for network compatibility and software compatibility as well. One quality phone (Apple makes a living making one version of a product and doing it well) would be a substantial improvement. RIM releases and needs to support half-a-dozen phones a year, and they have vastly different interfaces. They need to do fewer things so that they can do them better.

The software is also dipping below an unacceptable level. I think trying to make 20 different versions of the same software to support each phone has caused RIM to loose its focus. RIM needs to focus on fixing the OS features: the contacts, sms database, browser, etc. The simplest features, adding a number as a new contact, take forever to be implemented since RIM is stuck trying to stop phones from rebooting. Windows 3.1 had better memory management and stability. Continually releasing new phones while the software is in shambles is only hurting RIM's reputation. RIM absolutely needs to bring their software up in quality before trying to release a new device. The 9500, 9530 (Storm1) is a perfect example.

Bottom line, less options, better quality.

(On a side note, I think this is also what happened to the American auto industry. Too many makes and models for the manufacturers to focus on and provide good quality.)
    01-05-10 03:23 PM
    As I already said, I think RIM has to really let of their previous success and try to become something new. They are facing the innovators dilemma (look up the book with the same name if you want to know more): They have been so successful with one innovation (mobile email) that they are not able to come up with something new.

RIM needs to create a new business unit that does nothing but develop a completely new mobile experience with a new team, no "corporate rules" but with the only goal to create another industry game changer. all this won't happen while you are trying to fix some OS5.0 problems.
    01-07-10 02:41 AM
    Here are a few of my software/OS wish list items for RIM (which may repeat a few already posted) from a Storm1 users prospective:

1. A faster Web Browser with more of a laptop type experience and:
      • using Java doesn’t severely slow things down.
      • Flash support.
      • ability to save Web Pages for offline viewing
      • multi-touch support so you can draw a box around what you’d like to copy from a web page.
      • Smart/variable zoom for text entry boxes. (viewing Captcha’s and entering text can be tricky)
      • expanded bookmark/favorites
      • bigger controls for Next/Previous page
      • tabbed browsing
    2. Forward emails with Edit
    3. True HTML emails without them being truncated
    4. BBM is the messaging center for all IM, SMS, MMS, etc, the mode is auto selected (but changeable) based on the target contact.
    5. Smarter predictive text…Some examples:
      • When entering a zip code it only allows numbers and in either the 5 digit or 5+4 digit style
      • Only valid state abbreviations are allowed and they are capitalized
      • Previously entered names, companies, cities, etc, are the first choices in their respective fields as the predictive choices presented
      • REAL words are offered as predictive choices while typing, not junk and misspelled words
    6. Better cut and paste on the Storm
    7. Multiple user customizable desktops…perhaps the default shown is even triggered by GPS location and/or time of day
    8. Better native support for customizing the LED, ringers, vibrate, etc,
    9. Fix the memory leaks
    10. Applications can load from removable storage
    11. Better developer support so more and better applications are more likely

Here are a few of my hardware wish list items for RIM (which may repeat a few already posted) from a Storm1 users prospective:

1. Better quality hardware (return rates on BB’s seem awful high based on my network of friends and co-workers)
    2. Faster to market (and all carriers) versions (Why do Verizon users have to wait so long for Tour 2, a Bold version, etc.)
    3. Faster to market improvements (Storm 1 users suffered for over a year with inadequate memory, no wifi, and touch screen accuracy issues that were all over the board based on the phone build)
    4. Maybe some market leading innovation? Seeing as RIM is so fond of repackaging different keyboards, screens, case color, pointing devices, CDMA/GSM or both, etc. Maybe they could make a “lego” phone where the advanced user can pick whatever blend of options they want, and maybe even have the ability to change them by themselves.

Since my original posting of this thread, I’ve been too busy to make this list and lost some motivation (because I think RIM has “lost it” anyway). It just took some time and drive to finally finish it.

So…good luck RIM…if you even read these postings…because you’re going to need it. ...
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-16-10 at 11:37 AM. Reason: content
    01-16-10 11:09 AM
    You pretty much hit the mark on this "BB Storm4Me", I would add...
    1. 1 GHz CPU
    2. 1 MB Internal Memory
    3. Up to 80 GB External Memory
    4. Preppy Bold 9000 size but thinner and cleaner not too rugged
    5. 5.0 MP Camera w/ Flash and Auto-focus
    6. Faster Reboot
    7. Pop-up Notification (eMail/SMS/MMS/BBM/Messengers)
    8. 8. Update MemoPad
    a. Customizable Font (Size, Color, Bold, Italic)
    b. Bullets and Numbering
    c. Save in .txt
    01-19-10 01:02 PM
    Just remembered another one...

Universal search - My old Palm had a better search. If I'm looking for specific text that is within an unknown MemoPad, Search will show the MemoPads with the text, but I have to use the separate search inside each MemoPad to find the text I'm looking for. Pretty stupid design IMHO.
    01-21-10 10:39 PM
    Really the only thing would be of course a better browser which is I'm sure what everyone wants as well as be able to save apps on your memory card and use them. Really a browser though that can somewhat match up to the iphone
    01-21-10 11:45 PM
    My wishlist:

1. 100% bis/bes uptime. Any downtime is unacceptable. Rim claims their bb is the best for messaging. How can u be the best if u keep having email/internet outages for bb?

2. Faster rebooting time. Takes 2-3 min to reboot a phone? Cut that down in half.

3. Allow us to install apps to sd card. Stop with that bs u don't allow it due to "security."

4. More ram. At least 1 GB.

5. Faster and better browser and can browse to all websites (banks, flash videos, etc.)

6. Stop making all ur apps depended on bis service. Make ur apps independent and allow it to work via wifi if users choose to use wifi only.

7. HD video quality from youtube. Come on, u got 3g now. If droid and iphone can do it, so can u rim. So no excuses

Last edited by vincentnyc; 01-22-10 at 12:42 AM.
    01-22-10 12:33 AM
    I would like RIM to stop releasing devices every 3 months and all looking the same. As many of you have said a better browser and really a different OS.
    Without a doubt RIM needs to improve quality when building the devices.
    and PLEASE use the onboard memory to host the OS rather than app memory. This should be left alone for "apps" right?
    01-22-10 08:32 AM
    1. A GOOD browser!!
    2. Make the OS more fun and attractive or just change it altogether
    3. Hardware, 3.2 mb is the best camera on a BlackBerry wtf? at least a 6mb camera
    4. for future phones processor min 1ghz
    5. Possibility to end process for unresponding apps
    6. Touch screen + trackpad + full keyboard
    7. Care about the people who are buying this phone and use it for more than email

Competition is getting way ahead of BlackBerry. BlackBerrys are becoming very boring phones, games suck, os is boring, browser is unacceptable the only thing a blackberry is still good as is security, email, messaging, and making the user look professional. Unless RIM steps it up my next phone will probably be a Maemo, Palm, or Android phone.
    01-22-10 09:08 AM
    I will be satisfied when I get a 5.0 OS that works without major bugs and this webkit browser we've been hearing about.

01-22-10 11:04 AM
    My wishlist:

1. 100% bis/bes uptime. Any downtime is unacceptable. Rim claims their bb is the best for messaging. How can u be the best if u keep having email/internet outages for bb?
    2. Faster rebooting time. Takes 2-3 min to reboot a phone? Cut that down in half.
    3. Allow us to install apps to sd card. Stop with that bs u don't allow it due to "security."
    4. More ram. At least 1 GB.
    5. Faster and better browser and can browse to all websites (banks, flash videos, etc.)
    6. Stop making all ur apps depended on bis service. Make ur apps independent and allow it to work via wifi if users choose to use wifi only.
    7. HD video quality from youtube. Come on, u got 3g now. If droid and iphone can do it, so can u rim. So no excuses
    2, 3 and 4 - Total agreement
    5 & 7 - I could not care less about
    1 - Unreasonable expectation, stuff happens
    6 - Not a RIM issue as RIM does not make 3rd party apps.
    01-22-10 11:11 AM
    Release a S3 NOW that is a modified S2 with a 1GHz snapdragon, 1GB memory for programs, and a faster web browser (at least equal to the Droid). That will keep me on BB for another year until RIM can make updates their OS.
    02-01-10 07:43 AM
    So I read the entire thread, and it was certainly an interesting read indeed. I agree with some of the stuff, and I don't agree with other things... Here we go.

There's no reason why RIM can't add more internal memory to the device. While 256mb is alot more than what we used to work with (remember when 96mb was the most for a BB?) I still don't think it's enough IMO. However, the Droid only has 256mb of internal memory as well, so it's not just an RIM issue.

It would also be very nice to run apps off of the memory card, I agree that this feature should be added, and if it were to be added, it would virtually negate the need to add more internal memory on the device. However, let's also keep in perspective that the Droid can't run apps from the memory card, and the iPhone doesn't even have expandable memory (which may or may not be a big deal to people, I like it because I can add things and take things off of my media card really easily, like ringtones, documents, etc.)

It'd be great to have a better browser. While I don't mirror some of the complaints that many have with the browser, it does need improvment. As it sits now, the native browser works fine for what I require it to do, but it would be nice if things ran a little more smoothly when using the browser.

Now, I understand the gripes with the RIM data outages, and I agree to a point, RIM should work on improving their network stability, and work to safeguard against outages. However, like AG said, it's unreasonable to expect that a service that you pay for will be up and running 100% of the time. I pay for power to be run to my house, but when there's a power outage, I don't call the power company and ask them to reimburse me for the down time when I didn't have any power, it's just not the way that things work, and we all know this. Now, if it were to become a weekly, reoccuring problem, then maybe I would call and say something, try to get a credit for the inconvenience, but if it's only happening every great once in a while (and with the exception of the past couple hiccups, BIS has a pretty good track record of reliability), then it's just something we'll all have to deal with.

The whole e-mail issue is like politics or religion, people will have their own opinion on it, and what I say isn't going to change the way that you feel. I read all the time people complaining about the truncated e-mails, and sure, it'd be great to get your e-mails pushed directly to your device regardless of size constraints, but, while it may be inconvenient, it's something we will have to deal with for the time being. If you look at the big picture, if RIM's servers had to handle these giant e-mails, full of huge attachments and lots of data, and it had to package these messages and push them to your device, the added load of this would (IMO) severly slow down the BB servers. The vast majority of e-mails that are sent in this world aren't these giant HTML newsletters or supersized forwards with a 12mb video attachment, they're quick messages and forwards, mostly under 1-2mb in size, which are easy to transfer thru the serves and across the network. Even some of the larger ones come thru without a problem, I recieved one today that had a 4mb video attachment, no truncation, came over fine.
    Here's an idea, and it may not be a great one, but it's an idea. How about a link in the body of the truncatated e-mail, to take you to a site, whether it be your physical inbox, or an RIM hosted site where you can view your giant e-mail in all it's glory. This would avoid server issues due to the transfer of these monsters, and you'd get full access to your message.
    I've played with a Droid at my work, and for all the talk about how Gmail works great on the Droid, it didn't work nicely for me. We have a display Droid at my work, and we have a Gmail account linked with it, and all the necessary boxes are checked for instant delivery, and to be notified when a message comes. I sent a test e-mail to it from my BB, and after 45 minutes, there was still no notification that a new e-mail had been recieved. I had to physically refresh the inbox to get the message, and I gave this a shot twice just to make sure. Also, with concern to the iPhone, while their version of "push" service still samples your inbox every 15 min etc, I've been told by a buddy of mine who's had an iPhone, that it is murder for battery life to have the push service active. I can't confirm this, I'm just saying.

I personally like the way that the BB OS operates. I think that there is certainly a learning curve to it, learning about how it multitasks, what each different program does, etc, but all in all I find it to be efficient. I know that there have been issues with memory leaks, mostly due to certain 3rd party apps, and whatever issues they cause with in the os, and the drain on the memory said issues may cause it. I personally don't feel that this should be placed on RIM 100%, because they didn't develop the application causing the issue, the app developer should be held accountable to make a stable application that runs on the platform, not the other way around. I don't run many 3rd party apps, and I don't have a memory problem, I've been sitting here with 111mb free memory for a few days now, I've used Google Maps, and Score Mobile, and even Facebook app (RIM developed) and I've had no problems, with BerryBuzz handling my LED alerts as well. Let's start holding some of the developers accountable for their apps and not place all blame on RIM. **EDIT: I just finished my post, and lo and behold on the main CB page, a developers blog posting on how to find the memory leak within the application you developed for the BB platform!
    BlackBerry Developer? Learn How To Plug Those Memory Leaks In Your Applications | CrackBerry.com
    Like I said above, it's the developers responsibility to make a stable application for the platform. RIM is taking huge steps to cater to developers, and make it easier than ever for them to write applications for the BlackBerry platform, but it's stupid to think that RIM should fix problems not caused by RIM. **

Lastly, the BIS servers... They allow for some excellent features, without them we wouldn't have the ease of BBM, or the convenience of the instant push e-mail, but like many of you said, it is sometimes inconvenient that alot of apps require data to go thru the BIS network, and not thru WiFi, or the provider's network. It'd be nice if down the road they would allow a little more leniency in this department, where you wouldn't have to go thru the BIS servers for all data, and just for the BBM and e-mails, and have the naitive browser flag when you may be entering a site that could be a security risk, and if you choose to proceed, kick you over to BIS if you're needing to have a secure link. This would help to allieviate some of the strain on the BB servers as well...

All in all, we pay for the service we use. There is a reason that there are so many different smartphones on the market, and each one does something better than the other. In my opinion, and what seems to be the opinion of many others, is that the BlackBerry platform is the strongest mobile messaging platform available today. It may not be as convenient for multimedia applications, and it may be hampered slightly by the necessity placed on the service to run the majority of it's data to be run thru their servers, for what I assume is security purposes, but it does what many of us require it to do better than any other platform I've experienced, that's why I have a BlackBerry, and I'll deal with a slightly inconvenient outage, or an e-mail that may be too large to transfer to my BB, but at least I know it's there, and if I don't think it's urgent, I'll check it on a device made to handle a message of that size, a computer... It's a give and take market out there, if you want a phone that's great for apps, get an iPhone, and deal with a platform that only allows you to have "approved" apps from one source, and a messaging platform that isn't as strong, (and I don't accept the "Jailbreak" the phone to make it useable, I think you shouldn't be required to hack your phone to make it work, it should come out useable out of the box), or go to the Droid, and get the open platform for the apps, but also work with a messaging system that isn't on the same level as the BlackBerry platform. What's best for me may not be best for you, but there are lots of options out there, you get to choose what you want, if it's not BB then find what works for you.

Sorry, looks like I got to rambling on...
    Last edited by elvin1983; 02-01-10 at 11:27 AM.
    02-01-10 11:19 AM
    I no longer care what they can do to best serve me. Come the beginning of the year I'm putting my two BB's on eBay. As far as I'm concerned it's become unreliable. In the last week with the two outages I missed two important emails and that just about did it for me. I'm not going to continue to use it on a daily basis while I wait for them to drastically improve their product. If in a couple of years I'm still alive and RIM has improved its product maybe I'll consider it again. My iPhone does just fine for me and ironically enough has been more reliable for email. And I can't believe that I just typed that. Never would I ever have thought I'd be saying that.
    Now that's interesting.

I have nothing against the existence of BIS/BES as closed standards. However, it irks me that RIM does not provide equal support for open industry standards.

For example, wouldn't it be great if the lightweight BIS served your phone and conserved energy, while TCP/IP and IMAP were on standby to cover you against network failures. Putting all your eggs in one basket is dangerous.

Unexpected temporary outages on the RIM networks cannot affect me, but I did experience a comparable problem. For example, I was performing fieldwork in the uplands of a mountainous rainforest in a third world country. There is no BIS service, but there are patches connectivity around the occational cell tower supporting open standards such as TCP/IP.

It boils down to one thing. BIS might be a fast, lightweight and efficient protocol but its a liability to depend on just one solution.

I'm sticking with my RIM devices for now. They do have TCP/IP support. I just wish it was utilised by RIM software
    02-01-10 03:24 PM
    I don't accept the "Jailbreak" the phone to make it useable, I think you shouldn't be required to hack your phone to make it work, it should come out useable out of the box..
    Like BB Maps, which is disabled on a whole bunch of phones..
    02-01-10 03:30 PM
    Like BB Maps, which is disabled on a whole bunch of phones..
    BB Maps isn't quite "disabled" its just hidden to try and force the user to but the carrier's map service. It can be accessed by downloading a launcher that takes up about 1K of space. Even if you don't download the launcher BB Maps can still be used by 3rd party apps such as Poynt.

02-01-10 03:34 PM
    When I try to launch BB Maps (from Aloqa), the OS gives error 'Maps is Disabled'. This is a direct quote from my Vodafone BB.

I read about the *.alx hacks to get around this, but the files are installed somewhere else on my PC and I cannot find them. Anyway, this isn't a tech-support thread. I just tentatively suggest that BB Maps represents a hacking example

Other examples include VZN GPS, or manually overwriting the BB Browser's *.ipd to enable wifi transport (not that I use wifi), or pushing emails through industry standard MMS protocols etc. In fact there is nothing you can't do with a BB, it's just a pain to hack a portion of every app to get it there
    Last edited by flop; 02-01-10 at 04:59 PM.
    02-01-10 03:54 PM
    By not coming out with a new model every 6 months or less, making you feel ancient with your phone

02-01-10 08:13 PM
    When I try to launch BB Maps (from Aloqa), the OS gives error 'Maps is Disabled'. This is a direct quote from my Vodafone BB.

I read about the *.alx hacks to get around this, but the files are installed somewhere else on my PC and I cannot find them. Anyway, this isn't a tech-support thread. I just tentatively suggest that BB Maps represents a hacking example

Other examples include VZN GPS, or manually overwriting the BB Browser's *.ipd to enable wifi transport (not that I use wifi), or pushing emails through industry standard MMS protocols etc. In fact there is nothing you can't do with a BB, it's just a pain to hack a portion of every app to get it there
    Oh wow, they must lock it down more hardcore than AT&T... I didn't think that was possible.

02-01-10 09:04 PM
    By not coming out with a new model every 6 months or less, making you feel ancient with your phone

That feeling probably mostly comes from frequenting CB

02-01-10 09:05 PM
    Some people are writing essays. o.o

I saw someone say 'better themes': Fine and dandy, 2 themes are better than the iPhone already, end of story.

Better Camera: 3.2 is pretty good for a phone, and it has LED flash which is amazing. The picture quality, if done right, looks better than the iPhone.

OS: Battery pull is a little ridiculous. I've never been in a situation where it froze and I had to pull, but for apps and whatnot I understand. You have to restart windows when uninstalling major programs.

Similarly designed Phones: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

New releases: Maybe research before you upgrade. There are going to be bugs and whatnot probably anyway. Xbox's red ring is a prime example.

App world: This is my biggest compliant. It's under-stocked with over-priced apps that may or may not be good. I just registered for this site and I've seen amazing themes and apps that apparently aren't in the store, however, I am ignorant to how the app store works and will bite my tongue.

As a side note: My mom just switch from an iPhone 3g to a 9700. For now, she seems satistifed. She claims she didn't need a phone that can distract you with mindless games and silly programs; just a professional device that can maybe do a little extra.
    Last edited by Jell-oMan; 02-01-10 at 09:30 PM. Reason: So many typos BAH
    02-01-10 09:05 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD