As I read through the forums, it is common to see people switching back and forth between the 3 bb10 devices available on the market, even though the Z10 is barely a year old.

For me, I buy phones with contract, I tend to use a phone for about three years before getting a new phone. It works out pretty well, since I do not like learning how to use a new phone so often anyways.

So for people who get new phones every year or less than a year. How do you justify spending off contract phone prices (usually near $600) so often?

If you are rich, then that's great, but one still need to justify his money spending somehow.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    04-13-14 02:49 PM
    I justify it buying buying blackberry devices, lol
    04-13-14 03:08 PM
    That's an interesting question. I don't recall having seen it posted before. You're going to get quite a range of answers here.

Some people do have the resources to pick up new devices when they want them, off contract. Some will partially cover the cost of a new device by selling their previous device on eBay or the CB Marketplace. Others take advantage of carrier "early upgrade" plans.

As to whether or not a new device is justified? I personally get a little antsy if there's a new device out there that I want. As it's in my hands for most of my waking hours, I have to be happy with it. I'm sure that there are others who feel the same. Others may have different reasons.
    04-13-14 03:22 PM
    I have had a lot of phones but only one was really expensive. Most were bought cheaply used.
    anon721037 likes this.
    04-13-14 03:31 PM
    That's an interesting question. I don't recall having seen it posted before. You're going to get quite a range of answers here.

Some people do have the resources to pick up new devices when they want them, off contract. Some will partially cover the cost of a new device by selling their previous device on eBay or the CB Marketplace. Others take advantage of carrier "early upgrade" plans.

As to whether or not a new device is justified? I personally get a little antsy if there's a new device out there that I want. As it's in my hands for most of my waking hours, I have to be happy with it. I'm sure that there are others who feel the same. Others may have different reasons.
    Pretty much this. For most people cell phones are just a necessity. They get a new one and don't think about it until their upgrade time. For me, I'm more of a hobbiest. I like new devices, new OSs, new versions of old OSs, etc. I like to tinker. I usually sell my old devices to help fund my new ones. More recently I've signed up for Tmo's JUMP program. Even if people shell out $600 a year for a new device, that's a lot less than some others spend on their hobbies.
    04-13-14 03:36 PM
    All I can say is that I have a Z, but I'd like to have a Q too =)

From a Z30
    anon721037 and xiaosulpum like this.
    04-13-14 03:42 PM
    What pantlesspenguin says. The phone is as much a hobby as a useful device. Changing yearly is cheaper than lots of other vices these days. The pleasure I derive is worth whatever the cost.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    04-13-14 03:54 PM
    As I read through the forums, it is common to see people switching back and forth between the 3 bb10 devices available on the market, even though the Z10 is barely a year old.

For me, I buy phones with contract, I tend to use a phone for about three years before getting a new phone. It works out pretty well, since I do not like learning how to use a new phone so often anyways.

So for people who get new phones every year or less than a year. How do you justify spending off contract phone prices (usually near $600) so often?

If you are rich, then that's great, but one still need to justify his money spending somehow.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    You end up paying far more for a phone when you buy it on contract than buying it outright. Consider the total amount that will be paid towards the phone every month in monthly charges over a two or a three year period. Once the contract ends, the amount that you are paying for your monthly plan remains the same. It's the carriers who are reaping the benefits.

Lots of people sell their old phone after a year and put the money towards a new phone. To me, they are more ahead than those still stuck on a contract.
    04-13-14 04:21 PM
    Not always true that you pay more for a handset on contract, at the end of some contracts you can get a discount off your monthly fee or upgrade and sell your old handset.

It's different everywhere, I usually buy a phone I want as soon as it comes out and if I'm due an upgrade shortly after ill sell whatever I get.

I usually buy phones brand new but 2nd hand off someone else who has upgraded via ebay or gumtree(craigslist).

Q10 SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    anon721037 likes this.
    04-13-14 04:46 PM
    I work for a carrier (or I used to... we just handed our business over to Bell... long story). I had a decent employee discount, and had it applied to multiple lines. It gave me the chance to kind of "game" the updates to keep my own handset up to date, with the older ones going to my kids or getting sold.
    anon721037 and BergerKing like this.
    04-13-14 04:52 PM
    Personally I stay a long time with my phones; 2-3 years minimum, about 5 years max (that 5-year phone was an apparently immortal Nokia phone). It's more of an emotional attachment, that's why I stay so long. Haha.

I got my Q10 only a month ago (before that I had a Bold 9900 since its release); however, I want the Classic/Q20 so bad that for the first time, I'm changing phones in less than 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AthenaSmith; 04-13-14 at 10:55 PM.
    anon721037 likes this.
    04-13-14 05:09 PM
    I will add another comment as I was being a smart *** above, my wife and I are fortunate enough to have good jobs so if I drop 600.00 on a new phone a few times a year it doesn't hurt us as I do recognize there is a lot of people just don't have the means.

Posted on CB10 with my iPad, but I have a Z30 ha ha the best phone ever.
    04-13-14 05:15 PM
    I used to switch my smartphone almost every half a year. This was due to different reasons. In the first place, I'm just interested in new technology and I like to be the first to try out new devices. I've been using mostly android devices in the last couple of years with the exception of one BBOS7 device.

The reason for the switch was mostly to get the latest device and once it was because I was unhappy with the hardware. I usually buy my phones off contract - the money factor is not very important to me in this case.

What's interesting is that the Q10 is the first device that I've been carrying for more than half a year, almost a year now and I still don't want to get rid of it. The keyboard is just an amazing experience to me and I love it. Also the form factor and the build quality of the devices.

So even though there are some highlight devices coming up this year, the device I'm looking forward to the most is the BlackBerry Q20.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 05:36 PM
    I usually keep a phone for at least a year. Then I sell it and move on, so I don't have to drop a huge amount on the upgrade. I have no drawer full of old smartphones. And I do regard it as a kind of hobby, so in that respect I'm like pantless. Not in other respects, since I wear pants.

But I also find that after, oh, six to nine months there will be certain things about the phone I'm using that start to bug me. Right now, for example, my S4 sometimes doesn't respond when I swipe the unlock pattern. It just sits there and I have to do it again. It bugs me. Or...even using special apps like Lux and Velis, the automatic brightness adjustment sometimes gets wonky. These are all little things, but once they start to annoy me, I start looking around at other phones.

When I had the Z10, my last BlackBerry, I got extremely frustrated with Link, and also very frustrated with the absence of zoom-reflow in the browser. I didn't think Reader Mode did a great job in many cases. So these things, and a few others, started to get on my nerves.

There's always something, and I don't expect that to change. On the whole, I miss BB10. I got a Q10 for a good price on eBay so I'll be back soon, looking for new things to be annoyed by.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    04-13-14 05:46 PM
    There are many justified (and not so justified ones) reasons to do so. I, for one, do it every two years; when it is the time to renew the contract. For me it is a phone first followed by contacts, calendar and tasks functionality, in this particular order.
    I would never shell out $400-800 for a new mobile phone. No point (for me). Don’t get me wrong. I love gadgets; I’m into computers; I’m into digital media; I love social networking, etc. But there are many other devices we have available that, at least for now, serve better to satisfy my craving for what’s better and newer and more ahead.
    I’m all for progress. So I’m all thankful for the whole army of enthusiasts, hobbyists, and nerds and so forth. They all drive the progress forcing manufacturers to do better and to develop so I can get my next mobile phone at the end of my contract and use it for what it is designed to do.
    04-13-14 05:47 PM
    The ability to sell and get a decent amount back helps with the cost. I love gadgets so it's something worth paying for to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 05:53 PM
    Another reason is that some people have multiple lines for multiple family members, so the adults upgrade their devices and pass off the older ones on to the kids. Also, if an upgrade is only two years away I can see why people have a drawer full of devices. This was such a welcome change to the contracts here in Canada, in my opinion anyways.
    04-13-14 05:57 PM
    I believe there are chaps on CB are developers, the lucky dog got latest gadgets for living. There also wannabe of app students, it is a tool for them. There are geeks with love that almost obsess with BlackBerry, more than anything else, the secret of new OS to conquer like Columbus to the new world. There are fashion statement makers want "ahead of the curve"- believe or not, still with BlackBerry user. (Kevin 's 9982?). There are few willing to take a second job, or part time, so they can just get a "collection"...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 06:07 PM
    I'm rich so I buy whatever I want!

Posted via CB10
    decoy7, fbloise, TamamAlti and 1 others like this.
    04-13-14 06:13 PM
    I'm far from rich but I don't have many vices in life. People spend money on all kinds of things. Coffee, cigarettes, clothes, drugs whatever.

Set aside $10 a week and it is pretty easy. Plus your old devices have a bit of resale value too. That's how I feel about it.

Signed from my z30 and waiting for the next device to come

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-13-14 06:17 PM
    My company lines are updated every year and a half. I personally purchase devices as I want to know what is out there for comparison. I primarily use and buy whatever new premium BlackBerry device there is personally. I have a cupboard filled with old devices as I don't throw away or sell the old ones for various reasons. I guess I'm a hoarder :+). Some people collect stamps. Coins or whatever I collect cars and cell phones :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 06:20 PM
    I only change phones when my old ones start giving me grief. The longer it lasts, the happier I am. I'm not a big tech guy, so learning anything new is like pulling teeth. I don't really enjoy it. So I read these threads to try and learn as much as I can.
    For those that do enjoy the gadgets, enjoy!! I just ask that you be kind to us technophobes who ask dumb questions when something goes awry. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    04-13-14 06:27 PM
    Most people have a hobby that costs some amount of money that someone else would call wasteful spending. If using many different phones is my hobby I need to budget for it, but I don't need to justify it.
    gritsinct and vjh425 like this.
    04-13-14 06:48 PM
    I usually take advantage of MTS early upgrade with their loyalty credit, or talk to them nicely for more credits. My Q5 I got from the Koodo deal which was very reasonable. I will probably wait now til next spring to upgrade again, 1 year left on my deal at that time next year, with my loyalty credit if they still do that I'll get the newest BlackBerry device if available.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 06:58 PM
    I upgrade yearly

BB Proud
    04-13-14 07:03 PM
142 123 ...