Noobie here. What benefits do you get by updating your OS? Looks like I am running 4.2.0.71 Can I update this? How do I do that and which version should I use? Where can I get these updated OS? I also want the L Theme and new themes. Where is the BEST site to get all of the goodies?? PLEASE HELP
    05-01-08 10:03 PM
    This link is the latest OS for the 8100:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/newe...1-109-a-18394/

Follow the directions there.

Themes... look around this site for what you need.
    Wallpapers and Themes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    05-01-08 10:07 PM
    The benefit is getting all the security updates and bug/kinks fixed and/or resolved.

For themes, click here.
    05-01-08 10:15 PM
    If this is your first blackberry (and it may not be, since your post sounds like you've had some experience), then I'd strongly encourage you to use it for a week or so and get familiar with how it works before you start changing it. It'll be easier, and you'll better appreciate the differences. If you've owned bb's before, then go ahead.
    05-01-08 10:17 PM
    Thanks everyone!! I knew I could count on my fellow Berry users to pull me through> Does any one have any other suggestions as far as upgrades or goodies to install?? Thanks
    05-01-08 10:24 PM
    Here's a good step by step guide to updating your OS. It's the one I used. They give links for where to find new OS's, not the Beta, but it was pretty painless. Only took about an hr.

How To: Upgrade your BlackBerry OS.
    Last edited by dargis49; 05-01-08 at 10:26 PM.
    05-01-08 10:24 PM
    Ok, downloaded updated desktop software. Chose to run it instead of save it. Took an hour to download and now I can't find it???? Help
    05-02-08 02:29 PM
    Ok, downloaded updated desktop software. Chose to run it instead of save it. Took an hour to download and now I can't find it???? Help
    If it installed successfully, there will be a BlackBerry logo shortcut on your desktop.

If it is not there,

Start / Program Files / Research In Motion / Blackberry / DesktopMgr.EXE

If that is not there, save your next download first. You can continue to install and it will be much faster from your local drive.
    05-02-08 03:01 PM
    Thanks, The software that is showing up on my desktop is the older version I have installed. Any help would be great.
    05-02-08 03:16 PM
    Does it usually take about an hour to download the updated desktop software?
    05-02-08 03:54 PM
    Obviously it depends on your internet connection speed, but no, not an hour normally with any kind of high speed: DSL, cable modem, etc.

I think you may have gotten some bad advice. I looked at the link you were sent in post #6, and even though it is titled upgrade your blackberry OS, the instructions it's giving appear to be for updating the desktop software. That's not the same thing. Take a look at this link:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

John Clark tells you how to install any OS version, and remove a lot of stuff you don't need, to free up memory.
    05-02-08 04:10 PM
    The current verison is v4.3.0.15. If you have an older version installed that might be causing a problem.

Use Windows Control Panel to Uninstall the older version.

It does take a while, the file is very large and the severs always seem busy. I guess we can expect that, BlackBerry is growing so quickly.

Once you have saved the file, it will install very quickly.
    05-02-08 04:11 PM
    Don't choose to RUN as the file downloads, choose SAVE.
    05-02-08 04:17 PM
    jsanders: please take a look at the link he got in post #6. It looks like updating the desktop manager software. I think he wants to update his device os. Or am I missing something?
    05-02-08 04:21 PM
    Jeff,
    Trying to update OS but it says that I will neeed to update DM too? I think this might be out of my league to do this.
    05-02-08 04:24 PM
    If CRC would follow the explicit directions posted in the link to the 8100 OS, all will be fine. The directions in that link are exact and fool-proof. So, maybe he is updating his DM before proceeding with the OS upgrade?
    05-02-08 04:27 PM
    Here are the instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.3, found Here ...
    That was my assessment too.
    05-02-08 04:29 PM
    Jeff,
    Trying to update OS but it says that I will neeed to update DM too? I think this might be out of my league to do this.
    Well--I take back what I said. You don't HAVE to update your Desktop Manager, but it is not a bad idea.
    05-02-08 04:30 PM
    crc, don't be afraid of the process... I doubt it is out of your league. Follow those directions--post a question back here as needed just as you are doing.
    05-02-08 04:35 PM
    CRC: it's probably not out of your league, but you did get too many sets of instructions. Just follow the ones jsanders sent you in post #2. You can use the John Clark procedure to do the same thing, but jsanders' instructions are tailored for you.
    05-02-08 04:42 PM
    Sorry guys for all the questions and thank you so much for all of your help. I knew I could count on you all. I FINALLY updated the DM software and I will attempt to install the OS later tonight. Again thanks so much. I will let you guys know how it goes.
    05-02-08 05:35 PM
    Great, the next step works best if you save it too. You and safely delet them after you are finished.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 05:39 PM
    I save the OS files on my PC for later updates, OS reinstalls and for the App Loader. I delete them after I have upgraded to new version.
    05-02-08 05:43 PM
    Finished installing the new OS late last night!! Thanks everyone for your help!!
    05-03-08 06:43 AM
    Good deal, congrats!
    05-03-08 06:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD