Hello, this one has rubbed me for quite some time and I need to find a solution for it. All I need is the ability to terminate (/ kill / end) a process to stop it from running in the background.

Few issues I've encountered:

a) "Open the menu and choose Close" doesn't always work. Heck some applications don't even have this option (Funambol Sync client anyone?).

b) "Use the Cancel/Back key" also doesn't help much. Some applications still remain running in the background as if I used the red End key. Fortunately some apps like Viigo allow control over this.

c) What if the application is frozen / turned into a zombie? Especially with my Storm2 when I try out applications not designed for it in Compatibility Mode, in most cases I will end up with a white screen and a non responding app.

There are two options I am aware of to do what I want to do:

1. Battery pull. A true classic. The problem with a battery pull is, it will kill valuable time (my BlackBerry needs around 5 minutes to reboot) and can be really awkward to do in certain places (ever needed to battery pull in the middle of the night while waiting for your train in the cold?).

2. Using the Engineering Screen. From the JVM/OS engineering screen it is possible to view running processes and actually kill them. The problem with this solution is that it is no longer easy to get into the Engineering Screen (BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth)). Also the input of the code to unlock the Engineering Screen can be difficult and the access to the Engineering Screen in general can be potentially lethal (both to you and your BlackBerry).

Anyone out there know of a more sophisticated and practical way to kill a certain process? Thank you very much for any input!

- shinkodachi
    02-08-10 05:00 AM
    As you have noted, not every applications has the ability to be closed, that was the way they were designed.

As for software testing, pulling the battery is the only solution in that situation.
    02-08-10 09:48 AM
    @Reed: Bad design. It is really a bad habit of the developer if they don't allow me to control when their application is running and when not. In the case of the Funambol Sync client it will run automatically on each startup and can not be closed causing it to run 100% of the time in the background. What if I want to sync periodically on my own? One reason why I don't use that application, but there are a handful of others that behave the same.

The need to battery pull almost every day is becoming a frustrating experience. Battery pulling takes time, actually even wears out the back door of my BlackBerry and the time needed to reboot is way too long for any serious testing.

Is my only option to get into the Engineering Screen? I know how that one works and can kill zombie processes from there very easily, but I don't want to have the Engineering Screen enabled 99% of the time I use my BlackBerry.
    02-08-10 10:25 AM
    I don't get it. What apps are you so hung up on terminating all the time? Some apps (like the sync one) are designed to run all the time because, well, THEY SYNC INFO. If you don't like an app, don't use it. But if you're on current OS builds, I don't think there's that much need to battery pull every day. Once a week, maybe, but even then, only if you're developing issues like laggy typing (switching to CAPS or NUMLOCK). Other then that, there should not be many reasons for you to battery pull. If you're having issues with memory falling, learn to close the apps that can be closed and most importantly, CLOSE YOUR BROWSER WHEN YOU'RE DONE. Leaving the browser open to a webpage (even in the background) I've found eats away at available app memory.
    02-08-10 10:30 AM
    I love it when people don't pay attention to what I try to explain in my posts.

I want to terminate a zombie process (read: an app that froze and does not respond to any action). How can I do this without a battery pull or the Engineering Screen.
    02-08-10 10:47 AM
    Engineering screen is the only way to selectively force a process closed.
    02-08-10 01:57 PM
    Thank you Thyth for replying, it is much appreciated. If this is the case I will have to live with the Engineering Screen option then (found a generator elsewhere, not sure how long will that one be up).
    02-08-10 03:06 PM
    I found a standalone Escreen program but I don't recall where but here's the exe filename:

D:\bbesunlocker\BBESUNLOCK\BBESUNLOCKER.exe

I, too, would like a way to dump certain processes but have not explored the escreen stuff but I want it on the BB. In the past MSDict (multilanguage dictionaries (Not Microsoft) had an EXIT command. It disappeared either with OS 5 (tour) or some other way. I loads on startup and canNOT be terminated at all. I am not heading to Europe for a while and don't need it loaded. But I don't want to remove it as it involves a ton of cod files and support dictionaries.
    02-09-10 12:13 AM
    There is an on-device generator (with a TARDIS icon), and an HTML page with Javascript floating around which use the same algorithm that I reverse engineered.

Both are probably safer to use than a Windows executable.
    02-09-10 09:29 AM
    I love it when people don't pay attention to what I try to explain in my posts.

I want to terminate a zombie process (read: an app that froze and does not respond to any action). How can I do this without a battery pull or the Engineering Screen.
    There is nothing in your OP that indicates "specifically a locked up or zombie process". It's one of your "possibilities", but not the ONLY ONE. That's why I responded with what I did. Also, my response was also based on your other posts about the sync program you use.

Obviously there's no inherent way to do this on a BB. There's no provisions for it, just like there's no provisions to restart the handset without a battery pull (this is something that RIM should consider implementing). I don't know why there isn't, other then stupid design of the OS, but we already knew that.

So, the real issue is that if you're having lockup issues with an app, it's either an OS/App/Memory issue. One of these is causing you all the headaches. Fix the issue at the "root" of the cause and you won't have to constantly mess with the Engineering Screen.
    02-09-10 09:57 AM
    There is nothing in your OP that indicates "specifically a locked up or zombie process". It's one of your "possibilities", but not the ONLY ONE. That's why I responded with what I did. Also, my response was also based on your other posts about the sync program you use.

Obviously there's no inherent way to do this on a BB. There's no provisions for it, just like there's no provisions to restart the handset without a battery pull (this is something that RIM should consider implementing). I don't know why there isn't, other then stupid design of the OS, but we already knew that.

So, the real issue is that if you're having lockup issues with an app, it's either an OS/App/Memory issue. One of these is causing you all the headaches. Fix the issue at the "root" of the cause and you won't have to constantly mess with the Engineering Screen.
    Couple of things:

a) I said I don't use the sync app and also noted it is bad design the developer doesn't give the user any control over WHEN it should sync (so unless it's timed to make an automatic sync why should it keep running in the background). Less on that now, because I don't use it. As a developer myself I know the way I would think a user wants certain software to work, but in certain situations it is not the case that both agree this functionality is best.

b) Did I ever mention my memory was "falling" ?

c) I didn't mean every option was a single case, but if any of them were the case what would I need to do to terminate the process. Also I'm not "hung up on" any apps that I need to terminate all the time. Read the second sentence of my first post.

d) Don't you tell me what the "real issue" is. OH REALLY it's the app that crashed/froze?! How would I have known that without your extensive help? I was so lost, thanks for clearing this up.

e) Do me a favor and don't do me any favors again.
    02-09-10 02:47 PM
    There's no provisions for it, just like there's no provisions to restart the handset without a battery pull (this is something that RIM should consider implementing).

?? So what does LEFT ALT - RIGHT SHIFT - DELETE do on my Curve 8830 if not restart without a battery pull? I use it all the time and haven't noticed anything the key restart doesn't do that a battery pull does. Besides my protector case on my phone isn't made for removing all the time and it would break after about 2 pulls.
    ChristopherJLee#CB likes this.
    11-13-10 03:49 PM
    ?? So what does LEFT ALT - RIGHT SHIFT - DELETE do on my Curve 8830 if not restart without a battery pull? I use it all the time and haven't noticed anything the key restart doesn't do that a battery pull does. Besides my protector case on my phone isn't made for removing all the time and it would break after about 2 pulls.
    nice job, never knew about this one. there has to be a way to terminate a crashed/hung program without using the engineering screen. specifically i'm having a problem with the google voice app, it keeps freezing and i can't send anymore texts with it which is virtually the only thing i use my blackberry for. the rest is just crap in my opinion.
    11-17-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD