I turn off the "mobile network" connection under "manage connections" and left the wifi connection on. I'm connected to my home wireless. Shouldn't I just get wifi? How come I still get UMA on my phone and able to make a phone call? Can someone elaborate?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 01:51 AM
    I turn off the "mobile network" connection under "manage connections" and left the wifi connection on. I'm connected to my home wireless. Shouldn't I just get wifi? How come I still get UMA on my phone and able to make a phone call? Can someone elaborate?
    You just turned off the cell radio. You just can't make phone calls using that radio, but you can make phone calls over the 802.11 radio. So when you leave to an area away from your wireless connection you will not be able to make or receive calls along with not being able to have any data access. Essentially with UMA all your services are routed over the internet connection you are using. I'm not sure if this makes anything any clearer...sorry if not.

I am also going to assume that you have tmobile in the USA as this is the only provider that I know of that uses this, also the provider I have.
    Posted from my CrackBerry Bold 9700 at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mchopt; 01-10-10 at 02:30 AM.
    01-10-10 02:21 AM
    UMA is Unlicensed Mobile Access. It means you have made a connection through WiFi to T-Mobiles server that allows the phone to use VOIP to make phone calls. It has nothing to do with the cell network. It is also how a T-Mobile phone is able to make free calls when roaming in other countries. Saved me $$$ when I was traveling.
    01-10-10 02:43 AM
    Ok if u take out ur t-mo sim card and connect to home wifi? Do u get UMA/uma? Yes or no?

Or how about u get an international sim card when u r oversea (yes my 9700 is unlock) and connect to a hotel wifi? Do u get UMA/uma? Yes or no?

01-10-10 09:30 AM
    Ok if u take out ur t-mo sim card and connect to home wifi? Do u get UMA/uma? Yes or no?

Or how about u get an international sim card when u r oversea (yes my 9700 is unlock) and connect to a hotel wifi? Do u get UMA/uma? Yes or no?

Taking out the SIM - No. As far as I'm aware.

Unlocking has no effect, but you must have the SIM of the carrier whom provides UMA in order to get UMA, So you'd need to have your T-Mobile USA SIM inserted, and connect to WiFi, you could then call the states without paying roaming. Or any other country while just paying for the international calling rate.
    01-10-10 09:56 AM
    Taking out the SIM - No. As far as I'm aware.

Unlocking has no effect, but you must have the SIM of the carrier whom provides UMA in order to get UMA, So you'd need to have your T-Mobile USA SIM inserted, and connect to WiFi, you could then call the states without paying roaming. Or any other country while just paying for the international calling rate.
    ic...that clears it up...thx.

01-10-10 10:20 AM

Only T-Mobile Branded Phones, with T-Mobile SIM cards, and T-mobile services can access UMA. If you were to unlock a Storm 2, or any other GSM or GSM-CDMA hrbrid Wi-Fi phone, and try to connect it will not access UMA. Or a T-Mobile braned phone on another GSM Network will not connect to UMA. But t-mobile is stopping the @ Home Service.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/t-m...ervice-400450/

01-10-10 11:11 AM
    Only T-Mobile Branded Phones, with T-Mobile SIM cards, and T-mobile services can access UMA. If you were to unlock a Storm 2, or any other GSM or GSM-CDMA hrbrid Wi-Fi phone, and try to connect it will not access UMA. Or a T-Mobile braned phone on another GSM Network will not connect to UMA. But t-mobile is stopping the @ Home Service.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/t-m...ervice-400450/

T-Mobile has not stopped the service, they have stopped actively promoting the service. The service is still available and being supported by T-Mobile. I can 100% confirm this.
    01-10-10 11:18 AM
    Any bb that has WiFi will b able to use UMA. You need to install TMO engineering certificates to make it work. With Tmo sim card of course...

01-10-10 12:00 PM
    Any bb that has WiFi will b able to use UMA. You need to install TMO engineering certificates to make it work. With Tmo sim card of course...

nice...let the hacking begin!
    01-10-10 12:20 PM
    I wish at&t would add uma this service is awesome
    01-10-10 12:58 PM
    UMA is a great benefit for those who do not have a good connection to TMo's mobile network at home. Simply jump on your home WiFi and make all the calls you want.

01-10-10 02:05 PM
    UMA is a great benefit for those who do not have a good connection to TMo's mobile network at home. Simply jump on your home WiFi and make all the calls you want.

Unless u have the unlimited $10 uma plan...it will cost u ur minutes.

01-10-10 02:32 PM
    Unless u have the unlimited $10 uma plan...it will cost u ur minutes.

FYI, it still comes off your minutes with the unlimited plan.
    01-10-10 02:33 PM
    FYI, it still comes off your minutes with the unlimited plan.
    huh? what do u mean? then what is the point of paying the $10 unlimited uma plan then?
    01-10-10 05:56 PM
    huh? what do u mean? then what is the point of paying the $10 unlimited uma plan then?
    If you have an unlimited plan, it is pointless to pay the extra $10 a month because you already are paying for unlimited minutes. But using UMA will still show in the minutes used on your billing statement, like your regular cell calls do.
    Last edited by Heifzilla; 01-10-10 at 06:10 PM.
    01-10-10 06:07 PM
    If you have an unlimited plan, it is pointless to pay the extra $10 a month because you already are paying for unlimited minutes. But using UMA will still show in the minutes used on your billing statement, like your regular cell calls do.
    what if u dont have unlimited minutes plan? what if u have like 300 min/month plan? then the uma unlimited plan would make sense.
    01-10-10 06:13 PM
    what if u dont have unlimited minutes plan? what if u have like 300 min/month plan? then the uma unlimited plan would make sense.
    Yup. Because then you could make as many calls as you want at home using UMA.
    01-10-10 06:19 PM
    if i turn off my WIFI how can i still make phone calls?
    01-21-10 07:36 PM
    I have just purchased a Bell Mobility (Canada) 9700. I have a home wireless network. Setting up WiFi with my wireless network on the phone went fine. However, I'm still seeing 3G on the phone in the upper-right (and of course the Wifi logo). So which am I using?

Also, if I turn WiFi off, then next to 3G is the BB logo, whereas with WiFi turned on, I just see 3G and the WiFi logo.

On my (Rogers) 8900, I have Wifi turned on (same wireless network) and the phone in the upper right says UMA at all times (I know it's not a 3G phone).

I tried disabling the Bell Network in Connections, but as was noted in this thread, that disabled the radio for making phone calls.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    02-03-10 05:31 PM
    I have just purchased a Bell Mobility (Canada) 9700. I have a home wireless network. Setting up WiFi with my wireless network on the phone went fine. However, I'm still seeing 3G on the phone in the upper-right (and of course the Wifi logo). So which am I using?

Also, if I turn WiFi off, then next to 3G is the BB logo, whereas with WiFi turned on, I just see 3G and the WiFi logo.

On my (Rogers) 8900, I have Wifi turned on (same wireless network) and the phone in the upper right says UMA at all times (I know it's not a 3G phone).

I tried disabling the Bell Network in Connections, but as was noted in this thread, that disabled the radio for making phone calls.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    tmobile:
    you're on your wifi network if you see "UMA" in the upper right hand corner. there will be a purple signal bar to indicate strength

there will also be the wifi logo lit up in white under UMA

on the home screen on top of the clock, you'll see your carrier name & then your wifi network name (if connected to the network)
    02-03-10 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD