04-15-10 10:56 AM
27 12
tools
    I see a lot of you guys posting about having multiple blackberries. For those of you who have more than one phone, how does this work are they on the same line and you simply choose which phone to run?

Im interested in buying a curve 8330 to have as well as my tour and I am on verizon. What are my options for doing this, if any?

Lets hear some set ups
    04-13-10 10:30 PM
    If you are on a GSM network, it's just a matter of swapping out your SIM card from one Berry to another.
    04-13-10 10:40 PM
    So would I be able to do this with verizon? Im thinking no, but I see people on here with multiple phones on verizon
    04-13-10 10:42 PM
    no verizon is cdma i think you might be able to add a line for 10 bucks to share minutes but that'll put you in another contract.
    04-13-10 10:44 PM
    I have a 9550 and 9630. I have all my apps installed on each phone, they are always on there. Some apps like BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, Meterberry, and others I have purchased twice.

When I want to switch from my 9550 to my 9630, I backup my 9550, restore to the 9630, then go to the Verizon website, and switch devices there. Then log into Verizon's BIS site and switch the PIN. After that I do a battery pull, resend service books, and start using the 9630.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it takes maybe 10 minutes or so depending on how long the backup/restore takes. Users on GSM networks (Att, Tmobile) have it easier, they just need to swap the SIM card instead of switching the IMEI numbers through Verizon.
    04-13-10 10:45 PM
    Damn. So there is no way that I could call verizon and have lets say a curve activated with the number currently on my tour and use that for a while on the same data plan/number?
    04-13-10 10:45 PM
    alot of users have multiple phones for their job one for personal use and one for maybe a side business... im sure there's other reasons to..
    04-13-10 10:46 PM
    If you are on a GSM network, it's just a matter of swapping out your SIM card from one Berry to another.
    Numbers still need to be changed on the BIS site to be able to get email and use RIM's data services.
    04-13-10 10:47 PM
    2 on the same line at the same time ? no, but you could have it call forwarded to the other...
    04-13-10 10:48 PM
    Damn. So there is no way that I could call verizon and have lets say a curve activated with the number currently on my tour and use that for a while on the same data plan/number?
    Yes, but both phones can't be active at the same time.
    04-13-10 10:48 PM
    Most people with two blackberry's i know besides being addicts, have one for work, and one for personal contacts such as family and friends. As far as your options for grabbing to Blackberry's just go to verizon and add another line to your account.
    04-13-10 10:51 PM
    So id need to do the exact thing you mentioned ridesno, correct? Where is the link for me to log into verizons BIS site? I was having problems finding it as well as logging in the other day.
    04-13-10 10:52 PM
    Exactly. You can have 2 phones on 1 account number (with 2 lines on the account), or you can switch between berry's on the same line assuming your phone/carrier allows you to switch back and forth.

For example in Canada, it costs $25 to switch between phones on Telus (our CDMA network), but if you use the GSM berry's that are compatible with their 3G network (9000 and 9700) then I can do it for free if the phones are all unlocked
    04-13-10 10:53 PM
    I see a lot of you guys posting about having multiple blackberries. For those of you who have more than one phone, how does this work are they on the same line and you simply choose which phone to run?

Im interested in buying a curve 8330 to have as well as my tour and I am on verizon. What are my options for doing this, if any?

Lets hear some set ups
    Some can afford to have more than 1 device on different carriers. Some uses a company BB and a private one on 2 different carriers. And some just switching their SIM from one device to another.
    04-13-10 10:56 PM
    04-13-10 10:58 PM
    So with my verizon account id have to:

Buy phone of choice (curve 8330)
    When I want to use curve, log onto bis and switch number and pin from Tour to curve, and I should be good to go?

Can any one help me out with getting into BIS via my computer?
    04-13-10 10:59 PM
    I shouldnt have asked for the site, I know where it is. But what are my credentials?

Is my username my email?
    04-13-10 11:00 PM
    I have a 9550 and 9630. I have all my apps installed on each phone, they are always on there. Some apps like BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, Meterberry, and others I have purchased twice.
    U paid twice for yur apps? I emailed Mobihand or the provider of my app and told them I purchased another BB. They needed my IMEI and PIN and ALL of them sent me a new activation code. So I did not pay twice for any of my apps. Boo
    04-13-10 11:00 PM
    U paid twice for yur apps? I emailed Mobihand or the provider of my app and told them I purchased another BB. They needed my IMEI and PIN and ALL of them sent me a new activation code. So I did not pay twice for any of my apps. Boo

yeah but to change your registartion on your apps is more of a pain in the neck than anything.. and some app designers even charge for you to change your registration..
    04-13-10 11:06 PM
    Yes, I realize that can switch them, and have before when I got a new BB. But, Mobihand doesn't like when you want to switch back and forth between two phones often.

It also saves lots of time when switching too. I don't need to restore my apps, and I don't need to enter in any activation codes. I have different apps on both phones too. All I need to do is just restore from a backup and it's all done.
    04-13-10 11:07 PM
    I shouldnt have asked for the site, I know where it is. But what are my credentials?

Is my username my email?
    Could be, but you do have one. The "Email Settings" app is the same thing, but you can't switch phones with it. You can call Verizon, ask for Tech Support, and they can get your username or just reset everything for you, if you can't remember it.
    04-13-10 11:50 PM
    Okay this is frustrating.

I have an email account registered and validated on my phone.

However, I dont have a BIS account. I cant create one online because its not available in HTML format, and reverts me to my phone.

When I try from my phone, there is no way for me to create an account.

I want to be able to create an account because from what im gathering I need to have a BIS account to switch from my tour to a curve im interested in buying for a backup phone.

Can any one be clear and help me set this up?
    04-14-10 08:40 PM
    Yes, you can, I have a Pearl, a Curve and a Tour, I have switched back and forth several times. You can only have ONE phone active at a time but you can change as much as you want.

Turn off your Tour, turn on your Curve, dial *228, listen to the prompts and chose Option 3 to change your phone. It's really that easy.

Change back the same way, turn off one, turn on the other and activate it with *228, option 3.

Have fun!
    04-14-10 08:56 PM
    Okay that sounds good, but what will be transfrered over when I call that number and follow the steps? My pin, and email?

Would I have to have backups for both phones on my computer to restore with each time I am using one or the other?
    04-14-10 09:06 PM
    Nothing will xfer, calling *228 option 3 allows you the change the phone to another one, nothing more.

You'll have to backup each phone and then, after switching, do an "Advanced Restore" to restore your email and any new entries in your calendar, address book, etc. It's a very quick process.
    04-15-10 10:14 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD