How can I force the browser to use WiFi instead of a slow telephone signal? I have WiFi enabled in my home, but the browser seems to default to telephone signal and things take forever to download -- the WiFi should produce webpages and downloads as fast as on my laptop computer (I think).
    12-30-09 04:55 PM
    go to your Manage Connection screen > mobile network options > Cionnection Preference > Wi-Fi Preferred.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 05:03 PM
    turn off the radio and only leave wifi checked? I think

Change the browser to Hotspot.
    True, use the Hotspot browser.
    Last edited by allleee; 12-30-09 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Misread the question.
    12-30-09 05:06 PM
    usually if you have a strong wifi signal it will pick that up automatically! maybe your signal is not that great??? to force your browser to use wifi just turn off the mobile network signal in connections!
    12-30-09 05:06 PM
    Mine does not give a choice like that: Mobile Network always says AT&T; and the Network Mode is only 2G, or 2G / 3G (combined).
    12-30-09 05:08 PM
    Mine does not give a choice like that: Mobile Network always says AT&T; and the Network Mode is only 2G, or 2G / 3G (combined).
    That's for UMA enabled phones like the T-Mobile 9700. Sorry about that, I thought you wanted to call over wifi.
    12-30-09 05:09 PM
    6.5KB/s to 9KB/s -- my internet desktop computer gets 70KB/s on downloads, and I just switched the BlackBerry 9700 to hotspot in the browser options. Any other recommendations to increase the connection? WiFi is now showing up in the upper right-hand corner instead of cell-phone signal.
    12-30-09 05:18 PM
    Just like what has been said. Make sure Hotspot is selected in your Browser Configuration. You can also just turn off your mobile network by going to Manage Connections. It should default to Wifi if the signal is strong enough. When your in the browser, in the upper right does it show the Wifi Icon or the signal meter. If it shows the Wifi, you are connected and using it.

The browser will be faster compared to being on the mobile network, but it won't be the same as on your laptop. The processor in your laptop is much faster than in your Bold.
    12-30-09 05:23 PM
    Thank you for teaching me about the "hotspot browser" selection, and for helping me to maximize my internet speed over WiFi.
    12-30-09 05:26 PM
    go to your Manage Connection screen > mobile network options > Cionnection Preference > Wi-Fi Preferred.

i cant find that connection preference > wifi preferred setting under the mobile network options

and also when i set the browser to hotspot and im not in a wifi area and have to use my 3g will it still work? or will i have to switch back?
    12-30-09 05:47 PM
    On T-Mobile, If you are connected to a wireless router, your phone uses the broadband connection automatically. I Don't use UMA only EDGE and 3G, but at home the phone shows connected to my wireless router and my browser is way fast. No setting needs to be changed except have wifi enabled and connected to a router. It works regardless if you have the phone set to mobile phone only or wifi preferred.

12-30-09 05:54 PM
    i cant find that connection preference > wifi preferred setting under the mobile network options

and also when i set the browser to hotspot and im not in a wifi area and have to use my 3g will it still work? or will i have to switch back?
    I'm on my way to Hooters for some wings I'll post pic later.

12-30-09 05:54 PM
    alright thanks mjneid
    12-30-09 06:02 PM
    From the native theme just to keep thing simple.

Then go down to the "Mobile Network Options" and you can adjust it there

BTW my wing are really good and my Sam Adams Seasonal is REALLY cold.

12-30-09 06:20 PM
    it wont be as fast as your laptop ill tell you that much it still has to go through rim servers which slows it down
    12-30-09 08:13 PM
    From the native theme just to keep thing simple.

Then go down to the "Mobile Network Options" and you can adjust it there

BTW my wing are really good and my Sam Adams Seasonal is REALLY cold.

That's pretty cool, wish my AT&T had that option
    12-30-09 08:30 PM
    i cant find that connection preference > wifi preferred setting under the mobile network options...
    ...you won't find that option, as it's only available on devices from carriers who support UMA
    12-30-09 08:38 PM
    ya i cant find it either and my phone is from rogers but it is unlocked and being used on fido...but i believe rogers and fido both have UMA strange but i also dont have the option of UMA calling adding on my phone so maybe thats it?
    12-31-09 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD