Stumbled across this on pocketgamer. Find it interesting.

It's the third time I've interviewed RIM's head of games Anders Jeppsson, and every time his smile is wider.

From taking on what seemed a thankless task in 2011, the last couple of months have seen strong traction for content on the company's PlayBook tablet.

Rovio has released Angry Birds Space, Gameloft has released the first free-to-play game on the platform GT Racer Motor Academy, while Halfbrick has just announced it's bringing over five games including Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja.

No surprise then Jeppsson tweeted, "After 15 years in gaming industry I'm having the time of my life doing gaming for RIM! Who would have thought?!"

Indeed, he's actually a little annoyed that five big deals couldn't be signed off in time to be announced at BlackBerry World.

Not your lawyer's RIM

From having no history with BlackBerry - you can't buy the phones in his native Sweden, and he previously used iPhone and Android devices - Jeppsson and his gaming team are changing the perception of RIM within the mobile games industry.

Sure, developer support isn't yet up to iOS or Android standards, but RIM's positioned itself ahead of Windows Phone, and Jeppsson says he has Android in his sights.

"Just talk to Fishlabs," he says.

Michael Schade, CEO of the German developer was onstage during the BlackBerry World keynote, showing off Galaxy on Fire 2 HD.

It will be released on the App World at the end of May, with Schade enthusing over how quickly it got the game running for PlayBook - one day - as well as the fact the game can be released for $10, as on iOS.

In contrast, Fishlabs has been hit by massive piracy and support issues on Android, and the game isn't generally available; only for Xperia Play and devices using Nvidia Tegra chipset.

More to do

There are plenty of studios to be won over, however.

"We're getting there, but there's still a lot of RIM bashing going on in the media," Jeppsson acknowledges. "And some developers still think making BlackBerry games means using Java."

Busting such misconceptions has been his biggest challenge.

The company's decision to give out over 20,000 PlayBooks has physically demonstrated its commitment to developers, as well as providing the opportunity for studios to see how easy it is to get their games running on the new OS.

Labeled the PlayBook Tablet OS, it's a version of the all-new BlackBerry 10 OS, which will power its future phones. All content that works on PlayBook will work on BB 10; something already demonstrated by studios who have received the Dev Alpha reference hardware at BlackBerry World.

"Our code is really solid," Jeppsson says.

"We've focused on providing developers with the tools they need, from physics and audio engines to UI and social networking, and often making sure that they are open source too. We have over 50 projects on GitHub, and a beta version of Visual Studio will be available soon."

He adds, "My job isn't just getting Rovio to support BlackBerry, it's about providing the SDK and APIs, a platform that all developers can use".

Push to #2

So there are good foundations, but while the goal of making BlackBerry 10 a platform that's easy to support, the big question mark is what its install base will be, say by the end of 2012?

"Sure, PlayBook isn't a large audience, but it's active and monetising well," Jeppsson argues.

"I can't share the figures but a large proportion of devices downloaded GT Racer Motor Academy. But, of course, we're not going to see 10 or 20 million devices until the phones are launched."

That's due sometime later in the year, possibly September. Then we'll really see whether RIM can make the most of the opportunity to make BlackBerry a strong third mobile gaming platform.

Jeppsson's ambitions are higher though.

"iOS is a great platform for games," he says.

"Our goal is to provide a second great platform for developers. One that's robust and provides security. That's what they really need."

His view of Android is clearly defined by its absence in the conversation.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...re.asp?c=40671

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    playbookster likes this.
    05-03-12 01:21 PM
    "Indeed, he's actually a little annoyed that five big deals couldn't be signed off in time to be announced at BlackBerry World."

I play to god that these 5 deals are with some of the "Social" gaming companies! I have an iPod Touch that has all these games, but I would much rather not have to every put down my PlayBook to play some of these fun games! Draw Something, *** with friends games, and a bunch of other great Social games are needed big time. RIM has to know the importance of these games and I certainly hope they are working on getting them!
    05-03-12 01:32 PM
    "Indeed, he's actually a little annoyed that five big deals couldn't be signed off in time to be announced at BlackBerry World."

I play to god that these 5 deals are with some of the "Social" gaming companies! I have an iPod Touch that has all these games, but I would much rather not have to every put down my PlayBook to play some of these fun games! Draw Something, *** with friends games, and a bunch of other great Social games are needed big time. RIM has to know the importance of these games and I certainly hope they are working on getting them!

With their recent acquisition of scoreloop, its possible because their api is crazy and flexible! Don't you worry. We may just see a game center social thing with bbm, Facebook, twitter and all kinds of intergration

05-03-12 01:41 PM
    With their recent acquisition of scoreloop, its possible because their api is crazy and flexible! Don't you worry. We may just see a game center social thing with bbm, Facebook, twitter and all kinds of intergration

That's not what I mean, I don't use game center or anything like that. I just want some games like Draw Something or any of the other Zynga games. I like to compete against other people on other platforms. RIM seriously needs these games to be taken seriously. They are literally Netflix, Skype, and Zynga away from being a true contender.
    05-03-12 06:16 PM
    Now I see, now this is up to the developer. It is expensive to run such games since independent servers will need to be run.

05-03-12 08:30 PM
    Oh man, how the tides have turned.

Or will shortly ....lol!

"Who needs games, when I need a tool! "

Those are generally your BB loyalists who don't need that stuff, right?

Me, I have an Android and I rarely play games, lol!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-12 09:12 PM
    Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV and V would be good on the playbook
    05-03-12 09:50 PM
    Always wanting more in humongous quantity is not healthy at all. Such as the last post.

But, what's the harm in games if the battery is enough to support heavy usage and 1 1/2 to 2 hours in gaming?

05-04-12 05:13 AM
    Oh man, how the tides have turned.

Or will shortly ....lol!

"Who needs games, when I need a tool! "

Those are generally your BB loyalists who don't need that stuff, right?

Me, I have an Android and I rarely play games, lol!

a commercial featuring the martinez brothers and what they say does not mean every blackberry user thinks that way. For them thats what they want, and thats cool.
    05-16-12 09:53 PM
    That's not what I mean, I don't use game center or anything like that. I just want some games like Draw Something or any of the other Zynga games. I like to compete against other people on other platforms. RIM seriously needs these games to be taken seriously. They are literally Netflix, Skype, and Zynga away from being a true contender.
    Sketch with Friends is available in App World. Words with Friends can be sideloaded. Several of the Zynga games can also be played in the browser...
    05-16-12 11:18 PM
    Sketch with Friends is available in App World. Words with Friends can be sideloaded. Several of the Zynga games can also be played in the browser...
    Browser? Sure, want to wait a few years for that to load while normal people can finish 10 games with the app before you even get in.

And Sketch with Friends? Can I play against people with Draw Something? Right, you can't. Please try and understand people don't want second hand garbage ripoffs of premium apps that are widely available on the popular platforms.

What's next? Flype and Webflix?
    05-17-12 02:42 AM
    Browser? Sure, want to wait a few years for that to load while normal people can finish 10 games with the app before you even get in.

And Sketch with Friends? Can I play against people with Draw Something? Right, you can't. Please try and understand people don't want second hand garbage ripoffs of premium apps that are widely available on the popular platforms.

What's next? Flype and Webflix?
    I guess the fact that Sketch with Friends is also on iOS, Android and FaceBook isn't important, right? EXACT same game played the same way from the same devices, but you HEARD of Draw Something first, so it's the only true app? How can this game be played on a PC? OMg, it's played in the BROWSER!!!1! Those poor souls will only play one game to our 10... I could NEVER be troubled to tell my friends to play ANOTHER game that's exactly the same....

Ridiculous...
    05-17-12 03:44 AM
    I guess the fact that Sketch with Friends is also on iOS, Android and FaceBook isn't important, right? EXACT same game played the same way from the same devices, but you HEARD of Draw Something first, so it's the only true app? How can this game be played on a PC? OMg, it's played in the BROWSER!!!1! Those poor souls will only play one game to our 10... I could NEVER be troubled to tell my friends to play ANOTHER game that's exactly the same....

Ridiculous...
    Since it doesn't work with Draw Something, what's the point? That's what people use. Almost every single person I know use Draw Something, none use Sketch with Friends. People don't want copies and ripoffs, simple as that. What do you think people would pick if Draw Something was available for Blackberries?

And browser games are obsolete. Apps are where the action is. Try and check your GMail, Facebook, bank account, pay your cable bill, upload a file to Box, check stock quotes of the day and read your favorite news site.

By the time you get to Facebook in the browser I'm already done with the trivial tasks and is now relaxing with the news.
    05-17-12 03:55 AM
    Let me bring this into perspective for you.

Google Play Store.

Draw Something Free. 10 million - 50 million downloads. Cost:Free
    Draw Something. 1 million - 5 million downloads. Cost:$1.99

Sketch with Friend Free. 5 thousand - 10 thousand downloads. Cost:Free
    Sketch with Friends. 1 hundred - 5 hundred downloads. Cost:$1.99
    05-17-12 04:11 AM

Absolutely correct! However, I don't understand how we will side load when bb10 is out because a saunders has said it will be disabled.

05-17-12 05:29 AM
    Absolutely correct! However, I don't understand how we will side load when bb10 is out because a saunders has said it will be disabled.

I don't think he actually said side loading would be disabled, but sideloading of apps downloaded from AppWorld will only work if the app is sideloaded to the device/pin/BBID for which it was purchased. In other words, they are working on blocking the piracy of apps.
    05-17-12 07:21 AM
    Yes and it makes a less freedom environment but good for developers. They won't be scared then. I haven't heard of cracked apps from the app world. Only if hosted on other websites or paying services.

That's why we can have a strong ecosystem.

05-17-12 07:25 AM
    Since it doesn't work with Draw Something, what's the point? That's what people use. Almost every single person I know use Draw Something, none use Sketch with Friends. People don't want copies and ripoffs, simple as that. What do you think people would pick if Draw Something was available for Blackberries?

And browser games are obsolete. Apps are where the action is. Try and check your GMail, Facebook, bank account, pay your cable bill, upload a file to Box, check stock quotes of the day and read your favorite news site.

By the time you get to Facebook in the browser I'm already done with the trivial tasks and is now relaxing with the news.

Have you ever actually used the BlackBerry Playbook? The browser (or you could use multiple browers if you wanted) has this thing called tabs, where you can have more then one thing happening within the browser at a time. And on top of that, the browser offers a much better experience then an app that is designed to offer minimal features.

I would gladly challenge you to a "duel" of my Playbook opening and doing everything I need to just within the browser against your multiple apps that you need to open, then go back to the home screen to open the next app, then back to the home screen to open the next app, etc.
    05-18-12 10:30 AM
    a commercial featuring the martinez brothers and what they say does not mean every blackberry user thinks that way. For them thats what they want, and thats cool.
    Not sure what reality you are in, but for years BB loyalists haved preached long and hard about how they don't need games, but a tool. Had nothing to do with the commercial. It is plastered all over these forums.

05-18-12 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD