10-24-13 08:38 AM
36 12
tools
    And how do you know those 350 million users actually likes using WhatsApp? Just cause they use it doesn't mean they like it
    His point was that the most popular platforms already support voice chat (Tango, Viber, Skype), video chat (FaceTime, Skype) and PTT (WeChat, WhatsApp), and the most popular platforms all allow for video sharing, and some even file sharing.

BBMx could have been the mother of all chat apps, incorporating everything into one beautiful package. Except BlackBerry went ahead with the packaging and forgetting the contents. Every one of those however million first downloaders will load the app and, if it actually works, will play with it for a few minutes, add a couple of their BlackBerry only friends and then return to whatever messaging app they were using prior. Because no matter how nice read receipts and separation of PIN and number are, they are not compelling enough reasons to switch. That's the sad reality of the recent BBM cross platform launch.
    10-24-13 07:05 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry should use WhatsApp as a model for what BBM should be. A company like BlackBerry, with this much experience in this field, can and should do better than anyone else. In fact, that's why I'm so excited about BBM, because I expect it to be awesome over time.
    BlackBerry already knows what makes a killer chat app, they made it so for the BlackBerry. Alas, they failed to make it cross platform. And time, time is something they do not have. The company is a few quarters away from possible extinction and every missed opportunity like the recent BBMx launch is a nail in their coffin.
    10-24-13 07:07 AM
    I agree picture handling in groups is not well thought out. I assume voice (at least), vid chats and Channels will be coming. Screen share is a much trickier problem. The most important "fix" needed in BBM is no practical limit on file sharing. If it is over say 10MB, warn that it could take a long time and could use a lot of data allowance. But don't stop it from happening.
    Just imagine if BBMx had screenshare and no cap on file sizes. I mean, you would be silly not to use it. Instead we have this limp bastardisation of BBM instead. Oh what BBMx could have been...
    10-24-13 07:09 AM
    For smart people: Privacy and security is WAY more than enough.
    For idiotic, hype beasting, Instagram obessed and don't care about imortant things but care about dumb things like the next iPhone: Privacy and security is not enough.

Besides privacy and security. BBM does everything faster and smoother. All my friends have downloaded BBM, they all have posted their Pin on Facebook.
    10-24-13 07:09 AM
    My god this is just rubbish OP. I don't even know where to begin. Utter fail of a post.

Posted via CB10
    jrohland likes this.
    10-24-13 07:10 AM
    My god this is just rubbish OP. I don't even know where to begin. Utter fail of a post.
    Try to be a little more constructive in your posts. You may not like my opinion, and you are entitled to, but tell me why. Everybody else that has contributed to this post has either shared their own concerns with the launch, or commented with something derogatory. Don't be another one of the latter category.
    10-24-13 07:56 AM
    For smart people: Privacy and security is WAY more than enough.
    For idiotic, hype beasting, Instagram obessed and don't care about imortant things but care about dumb things like the next iPhone: Privacy and security is not enough.

Besides privacy and security. BBM does everything faster and smoother. All my friends have downloaded BBM, they all have posted their Pin on Facebook.
    We keep harping on about privacy and security, but can someone actually point me to anyone that has had their WhatsApp conversations stolen? Or even someone who can actually breach WhatsApp security? I get there are holes and flaws in their code, but so far, all I'm reading is about how it's possible, not how someone actually did it.

And that BBM does "everything" faster and smoother sounds nice, but right now, BBMx doesn't do very much at all. It's just a text chat tool. And no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise can actually point to any proof that BBMx is faster or smoother.
    10-24-13 08:03 AM
    It doesn't work on wifi only?...

Posted via CB10
    As far as i know, it works Wifi only, i know this because I'm a Rogers customer with a Q10, was in Dubai, and now the Maldives, no sim card in my phone, and bbm works fine on Wifi, when I get home i will test with my paperweight (galaxy s4) and see if it works Wifi only, i don't see any reason as to why it shouldn't since android apps work fine Wifi only.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 08:17 AM
    As far as i know, it works Wifi only, i know this because I'm a Rogers customer with a Q10, was in Dubai, and now the Maldives, no sim card in my phone, and bbm works fine on Wifi, when I get home i will test with my paperweight (galaxy s4) and see if it works Wifi only, i don't see any reason as to why it shouldn't since android apps work fine Wifi only.

Posted via CB10
    I can confirm it's working on wifi only on android.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    10-24-13 08:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've been reading it doesn't work on a wifi only device. If it doesn't find a cell radio it isn't going to work.
    10-24-13 08:36 AM
    I can confirm it's working on wifi only on android.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    Does it have a cell radio in it though?
    10-24-13 08:38 AM
36 12