TLDR; BBM on BlackBerry is WhatsApp+Skype+Viber+WeChat rolled into one. The BBM app is BBM from ten years ago. BlackBerry royally messed this launch up too, but they can fix it.

I love BBM. I consider it the most superior messaging platform and am really glad they finally made it cross platform. However, as with a lot of other BlackBerry launches, they seem to have missed several huge opportunities.

They should have made the launch exclusive, in other words, start very small, and scale up once the teething issues were sorted out. Instead they opted for a big bang, which is great if things work. But they didn't. The first time around they had to pull the plug completely, the second time around, they are having issues with iOS compatibility. I'm sure they will sort it out, but what could have been an excellent PR opportunity to show the world how amazing and reliable the BlackBerry platform is, has instead become a PR mixed bag at best, some excitement, but mostly a big "why bother?".

And this leads me to the biggest shortcoming of the current launch. The BBM app isn't very good. Let me rephrase. The BBM app acts the way BBM on the BlackBerry did 3 years ago. I cannot think of a single compelling reason why someone should download it and use it instead of WhatsApp and the likes. Security doesn't cut it, most of my friends are not CIA agents. And the whole PIN versus phone number business, although a sensible argument, just translates to "you have to re-invite everybody, again".

BBM on BB10 is the best because you of course have the usual text chatting (with those wonderful read receipts), and you also have BBM Voice, BBM Video, and PTT rolled into one. But the BBM app is just text chatter. They took the best messaging platform out there and somehow made it into WhatsApp's little brother. And it doesn't even work on WiFi only. It's embarrassing.

All is not lost. They have made life difficult for themselves, instead of awesome, but that seems to be the BlackBerry way. All they need to do now is to make it work even without a SIM card (WiFi only) and enable BBM Video, BBM Voice and PTT. And maybe then I can actually have an answer for the question "why bother?".
    Last edited by dearsina; 10-24-13 at 07:06 AM.
    10-23-13 10:22 AM
    [QUOTE=dearsina;9389693

AThe BBM app acts the way BBM on the BlackBerry did 3 years ago. I cannot think of a single compelling reason why someone should download it and use it instead of WhatsApp and the likes.[/QUOTE]

Was going to read all that you wrote till I got here....and stopped.
    Wrong wrong wrong. Whatsapp is pathetic. Nothing else you say will make me see your point of view. Sorry.

it was also a well-known fact that video and voice would take longer to implement on other platforms. So why are you complaining about it? I don't get what the problem is.
    Carterbits likes this.
    10-23-13 12:32 PM
    It doesn't work on wifi only?...

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:34 PM
    You know that those features are coming in later releases, right?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:34 PM
    Just give me a single reason why I should recommend BBM over WhatsApp (and the likes) to the non BB10 crowd. That's all I'm asking for, a single compelling reason why BBM is better, because right now, it aint.
    MrRJ likes this.
    10-23-13 12:36 PM
    What's app is rife with security issues, so there goes that suggestion

Also, ios 7 is to blame for the compatibility, Not BBM. If you actually look into the issue, it is clear that Apple intentionally screwed with how the app works.

As to everything else... I suggest you do your research before writing another post of this length.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:36 PM
    You know that those features are coming in later releases, right?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, later releases, but we're dealing with a fickle market that wants to announce the death of BlackBerry at any opportunity. Cross-platform BBM could have been the first attack back, instead the only thing we hear is a limp "will come soon" on any of the features that actually make BBM the best messaging platform. No wonder even this launch got a meagre "meh" in the press.
    10-23-13 12:38 PM
    If your best friend dies, you won't have their ghost show up on you contact list because their phone number got recycled.

Just give me a single reason why I should recommend BBM over WhatsApp (and the likes) to the non BB10 crowd. That's all I'm asking for, a single compelling reason why BBM is better, because right now, it aint.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:38 PM
    It works on wifi only. I'd say you should disregard the above post and go on with your everyday life. You'd be better off

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:39 PM
    What's app is rife with security issues, so there goes that suggestion

Yes but who cares? As in, who in their right mind uses WhatsApp as a means of secure communication?

Also, ios 7 is to blame for the compatibility, Not BBM. If you actually look into the issue, it is clear that Apple intentionally screwed with how the app works.

Sure, we can blame Apple, and who knows, maybe they did want to mess with the launch, but that doesn't explain the first mess they got in to with the Android app.

As to everything else... I suggest you do your research before writing another post of this length.

I suggest you re-read what I wrote, and perhaps tone down the snark.
    10-23-13 12:41 PM
    The D and R notifications alone are enough to compel people to BBM. If that's not enough...

- Much nicer layout
    - Better security
    - Groups are way nicer/easier to function
    - It's BBM ...

I think we all wish that it could have had voice and video baked in, but I don't think people are appreciating how much work it took to get BBM cross platform in the first place - that is a HUGE deal. I'm sure they're hard at work getting voice and video going, but every one of my friends who is using BBM on their Android or iPhone right now absolutely loves it. If you have friends who won't try it out for the sake of trying it out, they aren't worth convincing.
    10-23-13 12:44 PM
    If your best friend dies, you won't have their ghost show up on you contact list because their phone number got recycled
    That's the best we got? In case one of your contacts dies and their number gets reused? How often do you think that happens? God, we are in more trouble than I thought.
    10-23-13 12:45 PM
    Another thread about the same topic thats been discussed million times already...

Yawwwwnnn

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:45 PM
    Forget just dying, numbers a recycled all the time. It's really only creepy when it's a dead persons number.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:47 PM
    Yeah, u actually did type some stuff that shows u lack information though,

Btw as for whatsapp over bbm, most my ppl rather bbm because of the pin, they rather not give out their #,

For it's tgat plus......R&D

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:47 PM
    A little food for under the bridge... I meet a hottie at a bar. We talk we flirt we decide to share IM contact. WhatsApp: Uses a phone number that I hope to have the rest of my life. BBM uses a PIN that changes with each new phone. I give that phone number that I want to have forever and the hottie turns out to be crazy. Now I'm stuck getting a new phone number with all that associated hassle. I give my PIN. When I find out just how crazy, I toss the phone in the river and make an insurance claim to get another. Problem solved.

Now there is a way to solve that in WhatsApp but few know how. Get a pay as you go SIM, stick in in your unlocked phone, install WhatsApp using that phone number. Take the SIM out and put your regular SIM in. WhatsApp will use the phone number you don't have on your phone. It is still a little hassle because your WA contacts will need to put that unused phone number in your contact but, they have to do that with your PIN anyway so, no real difference.
    10-23-13 12:49 PM
    The D and R notifications alone are enough to compel people to BBM. If that's not enough...

- Much nicer layout
    - Better security
    - Groups are way nicer/easier to function
    - It's BBM ...

I think we all wish that it could have had voice and video baked in, but I don't think people are appreciating how much work it took to get BBM cross platform in the first place - that is a HUGE deal. I'm sure they're hard at work getting voice and video going, but every one of my friends who is using BBM on their Android or iPhone right now absolutely loves it. If you have friends who won't try it out for the sake of trying it out, they aren't worth convincing.
    • Much nicer layout, that's very much a personal preference, some of my friends like it, some hate it
    • Better security, I have never heard of anyone actually caring about the security of their chitter chatter with friends, do you?
    • Groups are nicer/easier to function, have you actually used the BBM groups vs WhatsApp groups? Try changing the name of a BBM group that you are an admin of. Try to send a video to the group. Hell, just try to send a picture as a part of your chat. Oh, can't do any of those things, huh? Guess your definition of "nicer" is a little different from mine.
    • Read receipts, I love them, but right now, this is the only reason why BBM is better than WhatsApp, and that's not good enough to make anyone switch.

Thank you for your reply though, it was a valid attempt, unlike some of the snarkier comments on this thread.
    10-23-13 12:49 PM
    Yeah, u actually did type some stuff that shows u lack information though,

Btw as for whatsapp over bbm, most my ppl rather bbm because of the pin, they rather not give out their #,

For it's tgat plus......R&D

Posted via CB10
    That is a valid point. I personally like the segregation of PIN vs number, I don't know how compelling of a reason it is to switch though.
    10-23-13 12:51 PM
    For me, the biggest reason to use BBM (instead of WhatsApp) is that I don't have to share my phone number. I get messaged from random people whom I barely know, simply because they have my phone number. These casual acquaintances can not only WhatsApp me but they can also see my profile picture, status and when I was last online. Find that very unnerving.

I also like D(elivered)and R(ead) indicators.

Now, time for my wishlist. What I hope from BBM's next update is the following :
    0. (highest priority): inline sharing of pictures/files in BBM GROUP. Right now, when you share pictures in BBM Group, the picture goes to separate album. You can like and comment on pictures in that album. What I'd like is, that picture thumbnail should become available in-line in the chat window itself. This in-line notification in group-chat-window will also help preserve chronology of what was shared in what context or at what point.

1. Voice and Video (voice at the very minimum)

2. Channels
    10-23-13 01:00 PM
    TLDR; BBM on BlackBerry is WhatsApp+Skype+Viber+WeChat rolled into one. The BBM app is BBM from ten years ago. BlackBerry royally messed this launch up too, but they can fix it.

I love BBM. I consider it the most superior messaging platform and am really glad they finally made it cross platform. However, as with a lot of other BlackBerry launches, they seem to have missed several huge opportunities.

They should have made the launch exclusive, in other words, start very small, and scale up once the teething issues were sorted out. Instead they opted for a big bang, which is great if things work. But they didn't. The first time around they had to pull the plug completely, the second time around, they are having issues with iOS compatibility. I'm sure they will sort it out, but what could have been an excellent PR opportunity to show the world how amazing and reliable the BlackBerry platform is, has instead become a PR mixed bag at best, some excitement, but mostly a big "why bother?".

And this leads me to the biggest shortcoming of the current launch. The BBM app isn't very good. Let me rephrase. The BBM app acts the way BBM on the BlackBerry did 3 years ago. I cannot think of a single compelling reason why someone should download it and use it instead of WhatsApp and the likes. Security doesn't cut it, most of my friends are not CIA agents. And the whole PIN versus phone number business, although a sensible argument, just translates to "you have to re-invite everybody, again".

BBM on BB10 is the best because you of course have the usual text chatting (with those wonderful read receipts), but you also have BBM Voice, BBM Video, and PTT rolled into one. But the BBM app is just text chatter. They took the best messaging platform out there and somehow made it into WhatsApp's little brother. And it doesn't even work on WiFi only. It's embarrassing.

But all is not lost. They have made life difficult for themselves, instead of awesome, but that seems to be the BlackBerry way. All they need to do now is to make it work even without a SIM card (WiFi only) and enable BBM Video, BBM Voice and PTT. And maybe then I can actually have an answer for the question "why bother?".
    The second time was apples doing

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 01:39 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry should use WhatsApp as a model for what BBM should be. A company like BlackBerry, with this much experience in this field, can and should do better than anyone else. In fact, that's why I'm so excited about BBM, because I expect it to be awesome over time.

One thing I still don't understand is the PIN being specific to a device. From what I've been reading, the encryption of messages is not device specific, so why not give people a virtual PIN that the user can map to multiple devices? They could route the messages to the most recent device for that user and/or allow the user other routing options.

You could also then generate one time use PINs for dodgy people you meet at bars. Or you could use one PIN for work/customers/clients and another for friends/family. Then you could literally turn work off on your BBM without missing out on your friends.
    10-23-13 01:47 PM
    Was going to read all that you wrote till I got here....and stopped.
    Wrong wrong wrong. Whatsapp is pathetic. Nothing else you say will make me see your point of view. Sorry.

it was also a well-known fact that video and voice would take longer to implement on other platforms. So why are you complaining about it? I don't get what the problem is.
    350 million people disagree with you about WhatsApp. For that matter, so do the 150 million who use Tango -- and who don't have to wait for video and voice to be implemented.

who in their right mind uses WhatsApp as a means of secure communication?
    Who in their right mind uses ANY instant messaging platform as a means of secure communication?
    10-23-13 01:55 PM
    OP! Have you ever heard of "recent updates"?

From Zuri my Z10.
    10-23-13 02:03 PM
    350 million people disagree with you about WhatsApp. For that matter, so do the 150 million who use Tango -- and who don't have to wait for video and voice to be implemented.
    And how do you know those 350 million users actually likes using WhatsApp? Just cause they use it doesn't mean they like it

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 02:45 PM
    OP! Have you ever heard of "recent updates"?
    The trouble is, you only have one shot at a first impression.
    10-24-13 06:00 AM
36 12