04-07-10 05:57 PM
27 12
tools
    I recently upgraded to my first smartphone, An HTC Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile. While it has some very good qualities, the call quality is horrible. I got a second unit from VZW only to have the same problem, plus discovering that my replacement unit was some one elses previous problem, also known as a "refurbished unit".

I need my smartphone to be a telephone, first and foremost. So my question is this: How is the call quality on BlackBerry smartphones? Is it better, or much better, than other smartphones?

I will need to return this TP2, I am on VZW, and I need a phone that works. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    04-06-10 02:07 PM
    I've always found the call quality on my BB's to be just fine, no problems. You can even set it to "enhanced" setting to change the bass/trebble, etc.
    Is there anything else that you're looking for your device to do other than have nice call quality?
    04-06-10 02:19 PM
    Thanks elvin1983 for your responce. My call problem with the TP2 was mostly the other person had problems hearing me, I would be breaking up, or they could not hear me at all. But usually I could hear them just fine.

I use my phone to help run my small business so that kind of call quality is unacceptable.

I will use the device for other purposes as well, being it is a business tool. Email is important, being able to check things online, the capabilities gained by various apps, ect...
    04-06-10 02:30 PM
    Understood, and being a small business owner, e-mail sounds like it's the most important thing to you at the moment, mostly since you list it first after having good call quality. A BlackBerry is probably going to offer you the best e-mail experience, and while their web browsing ability is lacking compared to many other offerings out there, it is still usually sufficient for 99% of all the web browsing that a person may do from their device, and there are other browsers available to use as well. There are also quite a few good apps available for the BlackBerry platform as well for you to take advantage of.
    04-06-10 02:37 PM
    Call quality on my Tour has been above par. My Curve was good. But Tour tops it by a fair margin. Even on Bluetooth , I can finally hear without holding my hand up to block outside noise. (Cheap headset!) But now I have to back the volume down, and this is in the cab of a commercial truck.

The browser doesn't have the WOW factor of some of the whiz-bang devices being released recently, but if the primary purpose of a device is business, the BlackBerry will still be plugging while they're trying to find some power.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 03:05 PM
    Thanks BergerKing; if you drive a commercial truck and can speak of call quality this high I think that is saying something. Sounds like you are on the road a lot, as am I. I have a construction/contracting business so I do get around my area. I also use my cell phone more than the home and office land lines combined.
    04-06-10 03:14 PM
    I have really good call quality on my 8900, my girlfriend has a palm centro and the call quality is kind of bad.
    04-06-10 03:25 PM
    Call quality on my Tour has been above par. My Curve was good. But Tour tops it by a fair margin. Even on Bluetooth , I can finally hear without holding my hand up to block outside noise. (Cheap headset!) But now I have to back the volume down, and this is in the cab of a commercial truck.
    I also agree with this post, Tour call quality is better than the Curve I had before, and the Curve was better than the Razr that was before it.
    If you're looking towards getting a Bluetooth as well, I recommend anything by Plantronics, they make a good headset at a reasonable price.
    04-06-10 03:27 PM
    I had 8900 and now 9700, at the end is a combination of area signal, Company and Phone. I would give it a try, because your coverage strength , and before 14 days well I will go before 12 days they will exchange the phone, at least in TMO

Also, I will ask them if you can exchange it. Email and Phone quality goes together if you use it for business, you even can customize your signature in the 9700.
    04-06-10 03:27 PM
    I've always had good call quality on my 9530, my friends 9550 is the same way. Just make sure your fingers aren't covering the mic hole sometimes when your on a call.
    04-06-10 03:32 PM
    Since the 9000 came into my life there have been no issues with call quality. The phone itself is a wonder. All the other features are bonuses.
    04-06-10 04:03 PM
    Sounds like I have a solution to my problem: BlackBerry. Now I just need to call VZW to get the process started and decide which VZW BlackBerry I want. Thanks to all of you fellow Crackberry members for your input.

What would happen if I went for the 8530 now, because of the lowest price of the 8530, the Tour and the Storm 2, wait for the new Tour 2/Bold/9650, and then buy it outright? Switch to using it upon availablity and resell the 8530, or keep it as a backup device.

Would VZW allow this?
    04-06-10 04:12 PM
    I have a 9700 and I enhance the treble so I can hear the other person better and Ive never had a problem with them hearing me.

Also Im on ATT with a strong 3G signal 90 percent of whereever I am.
    04-06-10 04:17 PM
    The TP2 is a good phone really. I don't know why people have a hard time hearing you but you could go to ppcgeeks.com and in the TP2 section there should be an audiopara.csv file you can put in your root folder and maybe it will work better. I'm just giving you a few hints as to what could help. My Diamond (same hardware, just minus the keyboard and an inch smaller screen) had great quality after getting a new audiopara.csv.

That said, I moved to the Tour and it's a different feel. Everything just works and at least with Opera Mini web browser it isn't bad. I miss some of the apps available though but it's not a bad platform and does quite a bit. Plus having a decent amount of battery life (as in heavy use and still lasting all day) is a great plus.
    04-06-10 06:03 PM
    that usually depends on what carrier does it not?
    04-06-10 06:36 PM
    call quality is great on Blackberrys! never had a problem hearing the other person
    04-06-10 06:41 PM
    Thanks MisterObvious;

The TP2 does have a lot going for it and a lot of included apps out of the box. Your suggestions are worth considering, yet with all the battery life people get out of their BlackBerry devices, and as much as I sometimes use mine, maybe it is just time to move on.
    04-06-10 06:43 PM
    I have had BlackBerry devices on TMO and VZW, five in all, and never had a problem with voice quality. Great handsets through and through. Don't be fooled by the great messaging capabilities, the voice quality on a BlackBerry is excellent from my experience.

04-07-10 12:27 AM
    The call quality on BB is really good and every BB I've had has been fine.

04-07-10 01:06 AM
    Sounds like I have a solution to my problem: BlackBerry. Now I just need to call VZW to get the process started and decide which VZW BlackBerry I want. Thanks to all of you fellow Crackberry members for your input.

What would happen if I went for the 8530 now, because of the lowest price of the 8530, the Tour and the Storm 2, wait for the new Tour 2/Bold/9650, and then buy it outright? Switch to using it upon availablity and resell the 8530, or keep it as a backup device.

Would VZW allow this?
    I just noticed no one answered this for you yet...
    Yes, you would be able to do this, however, when the 9650 Tour2, Bold, whatever, comes out, I would imagine that the full retail price would be awfully high, somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$600, which is alot to pay for any device. I would suggest looking into the Tour 9630, which you should be able to get for $100 or less. The only thing it's lacking when compared to the 9650 is WiFi, and the Trackpad, other than that, everything's the same. Of course, that's all up to you, if you go with the 8530, you can purchase a new BB outright at any time, and VZW can swap it out for you no problem, it's easy to do.
    04-07-10 08:36 AM
    On verizon, mine is perfect. Even when I only have 1 bar everything works great. As weird as this might sound, the only time I've ever dropped calls was right after I downloaded BB AppWorld. For the next few hours, I dropped every call that I got/made. Then I deleted it and have not dropped another call since.
    04-07-10 10:29 AM
    Here's something you might look into regarding Tour.

04-07-10 11:00 AM
    Thanks to all of you Crackies for all of the replies and suggestions, I really appreciate it a lot. Based on this feedback I will try returning the HTC Touch Pro 2 and get a BlackBerry Tour. When the Tour2/Bold (or whatever the name-number will be) becomes available I can decide if I want to buy it outright, have it unlocked, and then activate my brand new unlocked BlackBerry.

Thanks again and best regards to all.
    04-07-10 01:08 PM
    I am in the same boat as you. I have my own business and 100% of my calls are on my cell as I no longer have the need for a landline. I recently switched to BB, Tour 9630 to be exact, and I couldnt be happier. The call quality is excellent, even through bluetooth as has already been mentioned, and the email functionality is 2nd to none. I have yet to lose an email, and more often than not when I am at my desk the email arrives on my phone sooner than Outlook at my desktop.

You wont regret your decision!
    04-07-10 01:18 PM
    Thanks bhamrick. I'm already looking forward to my new BlackBerry experience. It should be fun and interesting to learn the BB way of doing things. And hopefully a lot less frustrating than the current experience.
    04-07-10 02:25 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD