I'm a graduate student studying marketing and I usually cringe when I see a Blackbery ad.

The "tools not toys" one is awful... but the one where they say how bad touchscreens are for typing is especially questionable... isn't BB10's launch device a touchscreen? (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm a Canadian so I REALLY hope that RIM can turn it around, we need more successful companies like them here.
    04-05-12 08:37 PM
    I also find the "Tools not Toys" is kind of cheesy, however their ads aren't horrible nor are they amazing. They are kind of in the middle. (Closer to horrible, than amazing...)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-05-12 09:27 PM
    Coming from a previous background in marketing, I don't give high rating to their ads.
    04-05-12 10:08 PM
    To answer your question about the keyboard vs touchscreen, you have to look at who RIM is trying to target in those ads.

My guess is that RIM is targeting current BlackBerry users ready to upgrade. The die hards (like me) who have probably said the 'tools not toys' line a hundred times before when explaining to people why they continue to use a BlackBerry.

I'm sure that when they market the first BB10 phone, they are going to be targeting Apple and Android users and have a much different strategy.
    04-05-12 10:08 PM
    Terrible commercials. Bad slogan. I really dislike the DJs one. The whole thing just annoys me in that one.

Also, at the closing of all the ads they show a little, squished Bold. Terrible.

Show the phone up close! The screen, the body, the functions.

They should put Kevin in a commercial.

At least show the phone more.
    alan510, spike12 and vrs626 like this.
    04-05-12 10:54 PM
    I'm a graduate student studying marketing and I usually cringe when I see a Blackbery ad.

The "tools not toys" one is awful... but the one where they say how bad touchscreens are for typing is especially questionable... isn't BB10's launch device a touchscreen? (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm a Canadian so I REALLY hope that RIM can turn it around, we need more successful companies like them here.
    Their ads (IMHO) should :
    1/ Enlighten and tribute loyal customers: Campaign #1 "Best users have best tools"
    2/ Seduce and attract new ones : Campaign #2 "Be no sheep, be (bold) different"
    3/ Promote new features/devices : Campaign #3 "Combo phone and tablet, be mobile"
    4/ Show what vision of the future RIM is offering : (Web video) campaigns like the (excellent) existing two ones, updated.

Currently I only see what we've seen for years (decades ?); somehow a brand image campaign shyly presenting (dj vu) experiences in situations that are not BB's core market. A strange mix, sounding like a "on a misunderstanding" ones (1).
    They are clearly not targeted enough.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBFY3EjSZRE[/YT]
    (1) Listen Bernard, I guess You and I have somehow the same problem :
    we can't build on our image; mostly you.
    So if I can risk an advice, it would be
    "forget you have no chance; c'mon, charge !".

You never know, on a misunderstanding, it may work.
    04-06-12 02:30 AM
    They are very bad. The playbook commercials were way better. The YouTube video that shows the mother letting her son play with the playbook then connects uses her phone as remote is decent but they won't show it on tv.
    04-06-12 08:23 AM
  8. T
    ... I'm a Canadian so I REALLY hope that RIM can turn it around, we need more successful companies like them here.
    Well, at least your topic concedes the fact that RIM is a successful company. So you don't like the ads? Tools, not toys.
    04-06-12 08:29 AM
    I think the Be Bold commercials are well made
    04-06-12 09:18 AM
    Haven't actually seen a BlackBerry commercial in a couple of months. The last one I saw was some guy buying fruit.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 09:20 AM
    CrackBerry is having a Bebold video contest.

RIM seems to be reaching out and asking BlackBerry users for videos and Tweets.

I hope some of those videos, Tweets and testimonials make it onto TV ads.
    04-06-12 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD